Outlook 2019 : how to completely replace address book

1. Posts : 51
    Windows 10 Pro

Outlook 2019 : how to completely replace address book

I have put a lot of work into refining a .VCF (not .CSV) file - removing duplicates / irrelevant entries and including all required.
    (Actually, for my phone.)
    Conversely, my Outlook 2019 address book is full of duplicates / irrelevancies and has many missing.
    Is there a way I can upload the new .VCF file and replace (definitely NOT augment!) my Outlook address book?

Edition Windows 10 Pro
    Version 21H2
    OS build 19044.1566
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0

Office 2019 MSO (Version 2201 Build 16.0.14827.20198) 64-bit
      My Computer

2. Posts : 372
    Windows 10 Home: 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1586)

fergusd said:
    I have put a lot of work into refining a .VCF (not .CSV) file - removing duplicates / irrelevant entries and including all required.
    (Actually, for my phone.)
    Conversely, my Outlook 2019 address book is full of duplicates / irrelevancies and has many missing.
    Is there a way I can upload the new .VCF file and replace (definitely NOT augment!) my Outlook address book?

Edition Windows 10 Pro
    Version 21H2
    OS build 19044.1566
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0

Office 2019 MSO (Version 2201 Build 16.0.14827.20198) 64-bit
    I have a feeling that you need to convert your data to CSV first as this Microsoft article explains.

To avoid a messy duplication occurring, that seems to suggest, to my mind anyway, that you first need to empty the current Outlook address database so that the import will only store the new data.

Best wishes. Hope this helps!

Christophe
      My Computers

3. Posts : 17,013
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170

Fergus,

1 Does your phone give you an export to csv option? {You'd need to delete all phone contacts then import the vcf you've been working on so the phone's contacts were what you wanted.}
    2 Do you use an MSAccount on both phone & computer? I believe that would give you the option of syncing the devices - I thought that was one of the points of using MSAccounts [I don't use them myself].
    3 Doesn't the Windows 10 Your phone app give you a syncing capability from the phone? Again, I don't use it myself.
    4 Is the phone an Android? The app MPE definitely does allow you to sync between the phone & the PC. It's what I use. It seems a shame to learn a new app just for what might be a one-off job though. MPE is very capable, it can also sync MSOffice Outlook Calendar [and Tasks & Notes] and you can set it up to sync whatever files you want as well. Do you have any need to sync between them that would make it worth learning a new app?

All the best,
    Denis
      My Computer

4. Posts : 11,246
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux

Hi there
    @fergusd
    @Try3
    @CMArbres

why not download as a .reg file and then re-import the reg.file into a new system / install.
    All adresses, emails etc retained -- I'm assuming you use IMAP in any case.
    Depending on what level of Windows you are running :

KEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\

For most versions of W10 and W11 it's now :

e.g: “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\outlook\profiles

(Version could be 15 or even 14 depending on what your Office version is)

Export that as a .reg file

before starting outlook again / or on a new system

import the .reg file via regedit.

start outlook again -- you'll get prompted via dropdown for the profile to use if you had more than one profile and the option as to whether to have it as the default profile.

Close outlook down after 2 secs as it won't open email yet.
    restart outlook and you should have the entire lot again !!!

note if you had any old .pst files you are still using save those too even though they won't be needed in the latest versions of office. They can be read and saved to if required.

Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer