Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    21 Sep 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 51
    Windows 7 Home- 64Bit

    How helpful would enabling 'metered connection' be?


    Hi,
    I have read "Wi‑Fi networks. By default, Windows sets Wi‑Fi networks to non-metered. But if your Internet service provider charges you by the amount of data you use, setting your network connection to metered can help you limit your data usage."

    Yes, my ISP charges me by the amount of data you use. My internet account is limited with data amount of 12GB.
    As a result, how helpful would enabling 'metered connection' be?
    Last edited by Hadramawt; 21 Sep 2016 at 15:15.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    21 Sep 2016 #2
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts : 1,677
    Windows 10 Pro x64 FCU - XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing

    What it would do is prevent the use of your internet to Automatically download and install items.

    This is great to prevent running out of bandwidth, or being chaged for use of excess bandwidth, but also can leave your system in an unsafe condition as the system will not download anything unless you specifically OK it. this will include security items.

    How close do you come to hitting your bandwidth limit? if you are way off the limit at the end of the billing period then there is probably no reason to set the system as metred, but you can if you are prepared to do the additional manual work required, Obviously if you are always near the limit of use available then this is an essential tool.

    Of course if you choose to not download an update you will need to have access to an unlimited internet source to update when it's convenient or plan your usage to both keep updated and within your limits. (this suits a laptop more than a desktop as you can use free WiFi to update, but this also risks malicious access to your system as these are normally open access networks )
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    21 Sep 2016 #3
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,024
    10 Home x64 (1703) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

    Yes, it's very useful. Setting WiFi to a Metered Connection still lets Windows Update check for updates, but instead of downloading automatically you are notified that 'updates are available' but can't be downloaded. You can then choose if you want to download anyway. Particularly useful for the big ones, like the Anniversary Update (some 3-4GB). You can wait until your monthly limit resets before allowing it to download.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metered.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	102424
    You will however have to manually update Defender to keep it up to date, either through windows update or its own 'Update' tab.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    21 Sep 2016 #4
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 537
    Windows 10

    But, check it regularly.
    Installing new Wi-Fi Drivers or the like, may reset it to its default or even in a Windows Update. It happened to me several times.
    It is a stupid thing to make it default as "no metered", should be the other side round, in regard to people that have metered connections, that can be painful.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    21 Sep 2016 #5
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 645

    I have DU Meter, the pay-for version, which includes a function called "Data Transfer Costs" which is same as metered internet. I just now set it for the first time to: AT&T's DSL limit of 150GB/month [U-Verse is 250GB/monthly]. I guess an alert will cough up.
    Now, a question, I have two computers at home -- how does Widows metered internet or DU Meter DTC track two computers? My first educated guess is that one has to "add up" two reports near the end of each month.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    21 Sep 2016 #6
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,024
    10 Home x64 (1703) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

    I don't use DU Meter DTC, just the Windows 10 metered connection. There is no 'usage report' with a metered connection so your 'issue' doesn't arise. Metered Connection, when turned on, is just a simple 'don't use WiFi for downloading updates' setting (which in your case you'd have to set individually on each of your computers). It's up to you to work out if you're close to your limits before you click 'download'. My ISP has a 'broadband usage' page that tells me how much I've used this month.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    21 Sep 2016 #7
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 51
    Windows 7 Home- 64Bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
    What it would do is prevent the use of your internet to Automatically download and install items.

    This is great to prevent running out of bandwidth, or being chaged for use of excess bandwidth, but also can leave your system in an unsafe condition as the system will not download anything unless you specifically OK it. this will include security items.

    How close do you come to hitting your bandwidth limit? if you are way off the limit at the end of the billing period then there is probably no reason to set the system as metred, but you can if you are prepared to do the additional manual work required, Obviously if you are always near the limit of use available then this is an essential tool.

    Of course if you choose to not download an update you will need to have access to an unlimited internet source to update when it's convenient or plan your usage to both keep updated and within your limits. (this suits a laptop more than a desktop as you can use free WiFi to update, but this also risks malicious access to your system as these are normally open access networks )
    Thank you all of you very much indeed. I got it. However, I have a little question which is if I am connected with a wired cable via Ethernent connection. So, metered connection cannot be considered.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    21 Sep 2016 #8
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 20
    Windows 10 Home (and 7)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hadramawt View Post
    Thank you all of you very much indeed. I got it. However, I have a little question which is if I am connected with a wired cable via Ethernent connection. So, metered connection cannot be considered.
    See this:
    Ethernet Connection - Set as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    21 Sep 2016 #9
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts : 1,677
    Windows 10 Pro x64 FCU - XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing

    Wired or wireless should work the same as far as I am aware
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    21 Sep 2016 #10
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,024
    10 Home x64 (1703) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

    Quote Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
    Wired or wireless should work the same as far as I am aware
    Yes, I've followed the Tutorial instructions and it works exactly the same for Ethernet as for WiFi.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
How do you set a 3g USB dongle's connection to metered?
Hi Guys, I sometimes need to use a 3G USB dongle to connect to the Internet. Windows 10 sees it as a dial-up connection and does not give me any option to set the connection to a metered one. Since this connection is capped at just 2 GB, I really...
Network and Sharing
lose wifi connection when enabling bluetooth. Any fix ?
I have a brand new HP laptop that came with Windows 10 home installed on it. I have downloaded and applied all updates from MS. I use a Wi-Fi connection to my Time Warner router. I have everything setup and things seem to be running fine. ...
Network and Sharing
Metered Connection Warning
My Outlook comes with a warning about the extra charge. How can I solve that?
Network and Sharing
Solved Updates on a metered connection.
Hello there, I read an article today which said: Windows 10 users will receive "automatic updates without any additional notice." By default, Windows 10 will download, install, and reboot machines automatically when they’re not in use to...
Windows Updates and Activation
How to set a connection as non-metered?
Hi, I have installed the latest build of Windows 10 and I am using a Huawei modem E173 to connect to internet. The problem is that the connection is set as metered and I cant install any updates and also the connection drops frequently. How to solve...
Network and Sharing
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums