How do I change the e-mail address on an Outlook Contact card?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. Posts : 92
    Windows 10 Pro

How do I change the e-mail address on an Outlook Contact card?

A friend of mine changed his e-mail address, so I updated his entry in Outlook under People. When I create a new e-mail for him, however, and start typing his name in the To field, the only address Outlook offers is the old one. If I accept it, and double-click his name, the Contact card below comes up and it still has the old address (in blue, blurred out). How can I update it to the new address? I can't find a way to do it within the card. Thanks for any tips!
    How do I change the e-mail address on an Outlook Contact card?-email.jpg
      My Computer

2. Posts : 809
    Windows 10 Pro

If you're changing any details you have to type them in its entirety, not accept whats displayed, you may be better updating the email under the contacts folder.
      My Computer

3. Posts : 92
    Windows 10 Pro

What's the contacts folder?
      My Computer

4. Posts : 809
    Windows 10 Pro

Involute said:
    What's the contacts folder?
    Its the folder called contacts, it contains contacts.
      My Computer

5. Posts : 92
    Windows 10 Pro

Where is it located?
      My Computer

6. Posts : 809
    Windows 10 Pro

In the folder tree with all other folders.
      My Computer

7. Posts : 1,225
    W10-Pro 22H2

I don't know what version of Outlook you are on (its later than mine, 2010), so can't help with the contact card, but you need to watch out for the 'offered' addresses: Outlook can remember (and stubbornly stick to) old addresses, and you have to actively delete unwanted/outdated ones. When you start to type a recipient address, you should be getting a prompt like so:
    How do I change the e-mail address on an Outlook Contact card?-outlook-prompt.png
    If it is an old one, click the X to the right to remove it from Outlooks memory. You can remove the whole list somewhere under Options>Mail>Send.
      My Computer

8. Posts : 92
    Windows 10 Pro

I’m on Office 365, so I’m using whatever the latest version of Outlook is. It no longer works the way 2010 does; e.g. there’s no “X” for deleting suggested addresses.
      My Computer

9. Posts : 1,225
    W10-Pro 22H2

Involute said:
    I’m on Office 365, so I’m using whatever the latest version of Outlook is. It no longer works the way 2010 does; e.g. there’s no “X” for deleting suggested addresses.
    Well, this suggest you should (maybe after a wait) see an 'X'.
      My Computer

10. Posts : 17,013
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170

Involute said:
    When I create a new e-mail for him, however, and start typing his name in the To field, the only address Outlook offers is the old one.
    Your problem is not the Contact data but the auto-complete function that remembers what you've used before.

Manage suggested recipients in the To, Cc, and Bcc boxes with Auto-Complete - MSSupport
    The article explains how to remove individual entries from auto-complete as well as how to stop using auto-complete.

Denis
      My Computer