Word 2010 starts but does not open

1. Posts : 3
    Windows 11

Word 2010 starts but does not open

When I click on the Word 2010 desktop icon on my Win 10 PC the yellow Word 2010 logo appears and tells me for thirty seconds that it's starting. Then it disappears and nothing more happens. What is wrong?

Win 10 Pro Version 21 H2 OS Build 19044.1586
      My Computer

2. Posts : 8,153
    windows 10

Some times normal.dot template get corrupted dlete it and it will create a new one. Try running as admin or try setting compatability to win7
      My Computer

3. Posts : 3
    Windows 11

Thank you for your quick reply! Normal.dot is ok. But in the meantime I have found out that Word does start and open as usual as soon as I start my second PC which is connected to the first one by LAN. But all Word files including word.exe are on the first PC. This is a small nuisance but how can I get around it?
      My Computer

4. Posts : 30,704
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)

Maybe you accidentally saved normal. dot on your other computer?

Check if you can start Word in safe mode (holding Ctrl key while clicking on Word) - while other computer is off, and then check settings
      My Computers

5. Posts : 3
    Windows 11

Problem Solved!

AndreTen, you were right! I followed your advice and found to my consternation that normal.dot was indeed stored on the other PC. I have no explanation for this, maybe this file was shifted when the network was created. I have made sure now that normal.dot is saved on the second PC where it belongs. Now Word starts in a jiffy while the first PC is shut off. Thank you very much for your help!
      My Computer

6. Posts : 30,704
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)

gr5959 said:
    AndreTen, you were right! I followed your advice and found to my consternation that normal.dot was indeed stored on the other PC. I have no explanation for this, maybe this file was shifted when the network was created. I have made sure now that normal.dot is saved on the second PC where it belongs. Now Word starts in a jiffy while the first PC is shut off. Thank you very much for your help!
    Great news Admit, it was pure guessing from my side
      My Computers