Word 2010: How to show which files are currently open

1. Posts : 158
    Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows XP, MS-DOS

Word 2010: How to show which files are currently open

I'm running Word 2010 Windows 10 version 20H2.

In earlier versions of Word, when I had more than one file open in the Word window, Word would display little tabs at the bottom of the window, one tab for each file that was open. And I could switch between open files by simply clicking on one of these tabs.

Earlier versions of Word also had something like a drop-down menu at the top of the window which showed a list of open files, so I could click on a file name in that list to switch to a particular file.

Do these features exist in Word 2010?
      My Computer

2. Posts : 14,136
    Win10 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro and Home, Win7, Linux Mint

Do you have the View on Word? I have 2007 and 2013 and that tab gives a choice of Switch windows which shows the list of open files. If I recall correctly older versions had a Status bar that could be shown on the bottom. Don't have the Notebook with Office 2010 running just now but did start one with 2016, same thing.
    Word 2010: How to show which files are currently open-image.png
      My Computers

3. Posts : 2,733
    Windows 10

"In earlier versions of Word, when I had more than one file open in the Word window, Word would display little tabs at the bottom of the window, one tab for each file that was open. And I could switch between open files by simply clicking on one of these tabs."

"Do these features exist in Word 2010?"

Yes, you can do that in Word 2010, in addition to that if you waft the mouse pointer over the Tabs you get a small Preview window popup.
    Even more, if you Right click on those Tabs you get a list of Recently opened files and you can also pin/unpin those.

View Tab > Switch Windows V gives you a list.

You can also customise the Ribbon to put the Switch Windows Icon to somewhere else if that is what you want. Right click Ribbon > Customise the Ribbon...

The image is for Word 2010
    Attachment 355314
      My Computer

4. Posts : 14,136
    Win10 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro and Home, Win7, Linux Mint

@CluelessInSeatl Glad to helped.
      My Computers

5. Posts : 158
    Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows XP, MS-DOS

Thanks, guys! I added the Switch Windows button to the Word Quick Access Toolbar.

Tonight I cranked up an old PC and grabbed a screenshot showing how Word 2003 would display little tabs at the bottom of the window that I could click on to display the file:
    Word 2010: How to show which files are currently open-word-2003-screenshot.jpg
    I would keep multiple files open in a single Word window and click on the tab of the one(s) I wanted to display.

Helmut: Your screen shot appears to have each file in its own separate Word window. Am I interpreting that correctly?
    Last edited by CluelessInSeatl; 21 Dec 2021 at 08:54.
      My Computer

6. Posts : 2,733
    Windows 10

In that shot the two open files were on top of each other, just for screen shot and file size reasons.
    Typically one would be snapped to the left and the other to the right.
    The aspect ratio of modern screens makes that more feasible.

Settings > System > Multi-tasking > Snap windows > On, choose what options you may want, all mine are ticked.

I have used most versions of Word back to the 1980s, so your historical shot is a reminder.
    I go with the flow of new versions of Windows, new much more capable hardware, application versions, and features.
      My Computer