Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    04 Aug 2017 #21
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,399
    Windows 10 IoT

    You will now be "Retail Channel" after doing the free upgrade, even if it was OEM. Run slmgr /dlv from an admin command prompt and see what it says. You'll still likely need to run the trouble shooter to transfer though. You current key will be the generic key you get via the Free Upgrade. ShowKeyPlus
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    04 Aug 2017 #22
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 464
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    What does 'RETAIL channel' mean below?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	License.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	230.3 KB 
ID:	147053
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Microsoft is being lenient in how its being used so as not to overcomplicate things. Thus your able to use it to transfer to new hardware.
    I would take this leniency to mean the following:
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wai View Post
    Microsoft has unofficially loosened the restrictions on OEM versions
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    04 Aug 2017 #23
    Join Date : Jan 2017
    Turku
    Posts : 1,768
    Windows 10 Pro IP Build 16299.19 (Branch: RS3 Release)

    I have many times installed Windows in a VM using physical HDD, then I have just made sure it's activated. After that I have moved the HDD to another device, booting it natively on that hardware and it still stayed activated.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    04 Aug 2017 #24
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,399
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wai View Post
    What does 'RETAIL channel' mean below?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	License.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	230.3 KB 
ID:	147053
    I would take this leniency to mean the following:
    Retail Channel means that install is classed as Retail, not OEM. IMHO, what it means is, if you have issues, contact Microsoft for tech support, not the OEM that originally sold you the PC. Microsoft does not offer tech support for OEM installs. The OEM manufacturer is solely responsible for giving you tech support for their modified custom install. By a Retail copy and Microsoft is your contact for tech support.

    With the free upgrade, you could have an OEM PC with say Windows 7. Then you upgrade to Windows 10. But lets say that OEM never shipped that model with Windows 10, should they still be on the hook for tech support? I say no, and that's why it toggles from OEM to Retail. Just my theory as to why.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    04 Aug 2017 #25
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,399
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by slicendice View Post
    I have many times installed Windows in a VM using physical HDD, then I have just made sure it's activated. After that I have moved the HDD to another device, booting it natively on that hardware and it still stayed activated.
    I just don't know what to tell you? My gut tells me that shouldn't happen. But, I've had numerous installs that got a DL when I think they shouldn't have. Before the AU, my Education installs would show as "Activated with a Product code", no Digital License. They were installed and activated with my MSDN keys. After the AU they all switched to DL's. I think it was the AU, it was one of the major builds. Before that, if I reinstalled, on the same hardware, I had to enter a key to activate. If I did a skip key they wouldn't activate. There was no free upgrade to Education so they never ever got a DL. Then Microsoft changed things and just about every PC on the planet, OEM or Retail, now gets a DL. Even my Enterprise installs that were installed with my MAK MSDN keys toggled to a DL. Before that, it was the same deal as Education. I had to enter a key to activate and they showed as "activated with a product code.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    04 Aug 2017 #26
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,321
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Retail Channel means that install is classed as Retail, not OEM. IMHO, what it means is, if you have issues, contact Microsoft for tech support, not the OEM that originally sold you the PC. Microsoft does not offer tech support for OEM installs. The OEM manufacturer is solely responsible for giving you tech support for their modified custom install. By a Retail copy and Microsoft is your contact for tech support.

    With the free upgrade, you could have an OEM PC with say Windows 7. Then you upgrade to Windows 10. But lets say that OEM never shipped that model with Windows 10, should they still be on the hook for tech support? I say no, and that's why it toggles from OEM to Retail. Just my theory as to why.
    In a properly activated Windows not using a volume license key - whether it be 7, 8 or 10 - I have never seen anything but Retail Channel listed in slmgr /dlv, even on computers with the software load from the factory still in place. Think about it - to Microsoft, any Windows activated by the end user is retail, OEM version or not. When Dell sells a computer to an end user and that end user activates Windows, that is a retail sale. That doesn't change who is responsible for tech support based upon the EULA though. Microsoft sold the Windows 10 Dell at wholesale. Dell turns around and sells the license to the end user at retail. Since the OEM Windows 10 was sold to Dell with the understanding, according to the EULA, that Dell would not be the end user, but would use the license in the course of a retail business. then it makes sense it activates on the "retail channel".
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    04 Aug 2017 #27
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,399
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    In a properly activated Windows not using a volume license key - whether it be 7, 8 or 10 - I have never seen anything but Retail Channel listed in slmgr /dlv, even on computers with the software load from the factory still in place. Think about it - to Microsoft, any Windows activated by the end user is retail, OEM version or not. When Dell sells a computer to an end user and that end user activates Windows, that is a retail sale. That doesn't change who is responsible for tech support based upon the EULA though. Microsoft sold the Windows 10 Dell at wholesale. Dell turns around and sells the license to the end user at retail. Since the OEM Windows 10 was sold to Dell with the understanding, according to the EULA, that Dell would not be the end user, but would use the license in the course of a retail business. then it makes sense it activates on the "retail channel".
    Ah, OK. Thanks for that info. I'm not active enough in those situations to know all the ins and outs. Thus, I sometimes put my foot in my mouth, lol.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Mainboard/Hardware issue or not?
Up until a month or so ago, everything was running smoothly. Now I am having issues with web browsing, its actually very very slow. I have a fast fibre connection may I add. Slow browsing is the same whatever browser I use. I'm beginning to...
Drivers and Hardware
Changing language:" This version of Windows doesn't support this"
Hello, I bought a new laptop that is in another language but I want to use it in English. During the set up they let you choose the language and whatnot but this didn't change anything besides the keyboard. Once W10 was installed I I went into...
General Support
Question regarding to activation from preview version to RTM
Hi forumers, So far what I knew is those who join for windows insider preview are able to obtain windows 10 for free (before RTM released) I registered windows insider preview with my account since win10 still in beta stage (build 10xxx)....
Windows Updates and Activation
Surface Pro 4 - Changing Single Language Version
Hello, After attempting to change the display language on my Chinese Surface Pro 4, and also after much head-to-wall slamming, I have come to the conclusion that my computer is likely a single language version (why does this even exist?...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved changing from 32 bit to 64 bit home version
My sons computer has a legit copy of windows home but for some reason the installed version was 32 bit, I noticed later that the machine was x64 bit processor. I installed windows ten prior to noticing the version, I would like to change it to x64...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:26.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums