Windows 10 After 6 Months: Already the Second Most Used Desktop OS

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Windows 10 After 6 Months: Already the Second Most Used Desktop OS

    Windows 10 After 6 Months: Already the Second Most Used Desktop OS


    Posted: 29 Jan 2016

    Stats show Windows 10 adoption keeps improving

    Windows 10 After 6 Months: Already the Second Most Used Desktop OS-windows-10-after-6-months-already-second-most-used-desktop-os-499631-2.jpg

    Windows 10 was launched six months ago and since then, Microsoft has been pushing really hard to encourage users to adopt it and benefit from the free upgrade offer available for those on Windows 7 and 8.1.

    New statistics show that all these Microsoft’s efforts are paying off to a certain degree, as Windows 10 has become the second most-used desktop operating system across the world, but it still has a hard time getting closer to leader Windows 7.

    Data provided by StatCounter reveals that right now, Windows 10 is powering 13.52 percent of the desktop computers, while Windows 7 leads the pack with 46.8 percent. Windows 8.1 is losing ground every month and is now third with 11.66 percent
    Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/windo...s-499631.shtml
    Cluster Head's Avatar Posted By: Cluster Head
    29 Jan 2016


  1. Posts : 2,818
    Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 21H1 (build 19043.1202)
       #1

    Hopefully by end of the year July 2016 it will be No1.
    In my eyes it already is.
    I never liked Seven at all.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 22,741
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #2

    Nice to know.. hard to say how much the free upgrade had to play with these numbers but heck,, free can be a good thing.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 93
    Windows 10 pro
       #3

    I like windows 10 almost as much as I like apple's os x. so far it seems almost as stable but still need to do disk clean up and defrag on a regular basis unlike mac and still have to use an anti virus unlike mac.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 22,741
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #4

    pitbullpup said:
    I like windows 10 almost as much as I like apple's os x. so far it seems almost as stable but still need to do disk clean up and defrag on a regular basis unlike mac and still have to use an anti virus unlike mac.
    I do a disk cleanup only after an update and since I have an SSD I don't need to perform a defrag. Overall I think that 10 is headed in the right direction and the insider program is the best thing MS has done.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 93
    Windows 10 pro
       #5

    I am thinking about updating this laptop to a ssd drive, but the fact is you still have to use anti virus and in fact do a disk clean up occasionally unlike apple. I was hoping Microsoft would have gotten rid of those issues. if apple can why cant they?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 23,195
    Windows 10
       #6

    I never run disc cleanup or defrag, windows runs these automatically so I see no need

    Just let the OS manage itself
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 22,741
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #7

    pitbullpup said:
    I am thinking about updating this laptop to a ssd drive, but the fact is you still have to use anti virus and in fact do a disk clean up occasionally unlike apple. I was hoping Microsoft would have gotten rid of those issues. if apple can why cant they?
    My take on it is this. The market share Apple is not large enough to make it profitable for hackers to attack the OS at this point. It takes time and effort to develop virus and malware and if there is no pay back then no one will put in that effort. While with Windows there are more users and the cost befit favors attacking those machines. Overall you can get by with Defender and not have any real issues. I use Avira free and I don't have any issues with it.

    And putting an SSD will definitely be a major improvement and you can schedule the clean up so it's no longer necessary to do that manually.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 93
    Windows 10 pro
       #8

    I am running comodo internet security for anti virus. never had an issue in the 2 months I have been using it... however I am sure that any anti-virus software has somewhat of an over all performance impact however minor....but it is still there
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 22,741
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #9

    pitbullpup said:
    I am running comodo internet security for anti virus. never had an issue in the 2 months I have been using it... however I am sure that any anti-virus software has somewhat of an over all performance impact however minor....but it is still there
    I agree.. but it's something that's needed unfortunately..
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:42.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums