What happens to those free Windows 10 upgrades after July 29, 2016?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    What happens to those free Windows 10 upgrades after July 29, 2016?

    What happens to those free Windows 10 upgrades after July 29, 2016?


    Last Updated: 29 Jul 2016 at 16:43

    [ug]sdfsdfasdf[/ug]

    [This article has been significantly revised and updated since its original publication. in January 2016]

    Microsoft's ambitious plan to get Windows 10 running on a billion devices within the next few years depends to a large extent on the success of its free upgrade offer.

    When the company first announced the terms of that offer in May 2015, it literally included an asterisk and fine print. Those terms have changed slightly over the intervening months, but one element has remained constant: The offer is good for one year after the availability of Windows 10.

    Here's the actual wording of the offer, as it appears today:

    Get the best Windows experience. Ever.

    Ready for Windows 10? Qualified Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 devices can upgrade for free. Offer ends July 29, 2016.
    The text that appears in the fine print at the bottom of that page has changed slightly over the past year. Here's how it now reads (emphasis added):



    The fine print on the Windows 10 upgrade offer, as of June 2016.

    Here's the tl;dr version if you don't want to keep reading:

    1. The free upgrade offer ends on July 29 and will not be extended.

    2. Any upgrades completed before that date will be valid for as long as the device lasts.

    3. There is a possibility that Microsoft will introduce some new upgrade offers after July 29, but don't count on it.

    In fact, Microsoft's real goal with this upgrade offer isn't just to get its installed Windows 10 base to a billion. The long-term goal is to help close the books on Windows 7 in an orderly fashion before its extended support commitment ends on January 14, 2020...


    Read more: What happens to those free Windows 10 upgrades after July 29, 2016? | ZDNet


    See also: Windows 10 upgrade for assistive technology users
    Brink's Avatar Posted By: Brink
    29 Jan 2016


  1. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #1

    They will extend it I'm sure.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 405
    Windows 10 21H1
       #2

    I am not going to upgrade my Windows 7 machines at all and so I don't care one way or another. My Windows 10 copy has it's own license key, but I have it just for fun and testing purposes. It's not good for work. That's why I'm keeping Windows 7. I do wonder as one of the commenters on ZDNet mentioned, how exactly they want to "end support" for Windows 7 on new hardware? Do they have an agreement with Intel that Windows 7 drivers will suddenly stop working after some date? That would certainly be illegal. Otherwise, I don't see what would prevent me from installing Windows 7 on a Skylake based machine ... (I already run Windows 7 on an Acer laptop designed for Windows 8; Acer does not provide any support for Windows 7 on that laptop, yet that's where I'm writing this post now - works like a charm).
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 7,086
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #3

    There are still too many niggling Windows 10 issues so I won't upgrade my main Windows 8.1 desktop PC until I'm content. I have Windows 10 on my laptop so I'll decide whether to upgrade the desktop based on how reliable MS software engineering is over the next few months.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 169
    Windows 10
       #4

    Steve C said:
    There are still too many niggling Windows 10 issues so I won't upgrade my main Windows 8.1 desktop PC until I'm content. I have Windows 10 on my laptop so I'll decide whether to upgrade the desktop based on how reliable MS software engineering is over the next few months.
    I too have Windows 10 on my hobby laptop for the same purpose, i.e. gauging when I can safely upgrade my more important computers. Unfortunately, my present view is that you can't gauge that with a single computer, because Windows 10 is presently inconsistent from one computer to the next (you can see plenty of lucky and unlucky users on this forum)

    The quoted article in the OP says that the most likely scenario #3 extends the free upgrade year for a second year. I should hope that by then the OS is safe to upgrade to.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 169
    Windows 10
       #5

    unifex said:
    how exactly they want to "end support" for Windows 7 on new hardware?
    Microsoft no longer provides Windows Updates under those specified terms.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #6

    FrozenCursor said:
    Microsoft no longer provides Windows Updates under those specified terms.
    Not quite true. They just don't guarantee that Windows 7 will work with new processor architecture and unless your new PC is on their (rather limited) list they will not bother fixing it.

    If you buy a new SkyLake laptop today and downgrade it to Windows 7 then unless it is Lenovo or HP you are on your own. Even if it is on their list that is only for 18 months.

    If you buy a new laptop next year with whatever new architecture then you are definitely on your own.

    There is a whole thread about it here Microsoft warns enterprises to upgrade to Windows 10 or be left behind - Windows 10 Forums but I think it is just bla bla to push people to upgrade even if they don't want to.

    I imagine (though to be honest I can't be bothered to test it) I could install NT4 or Windows 95 and that would still probably work (even though I was not even born at the time).
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 343
    Windows 10
       #7

    unifex said:
    I am not going to upgrade my Windows 7 machines at all and so I don't care one way or another. My Windows 10 copy has it's own license key, but I have it just for fun and testing purposes. It's not good for work. That's why I'm keeping Windows 7. I do wonder as one of the commenters on ZDNet mentioned, how exactly they want to "end support" for Windows 7 on new hardware? Do they have an agreement with Intel that Windows 7 drivers will suddenly stop working after some date? That would certainly be illegal. Otherwise, I don't see what would prevent me from installing Windows 7 on a Skylake based machine ... (I already run Windows 7 on an Acer laptop designed for Windows 8; Acer does not provide any support for Windows 7 on that laptop, yet that's where I'm writing this post now - works like a charm).
    No old computers won't stop working but computers sold after the date with the the Skylake processor restriction for older OS's. The PC now even if it's a Skylake won't have the restriction built in.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 169
    Windows 10
       #8

    Well, rather than interpreting a tenforums' thread discussing what winbeta.org wrote about Microsoft, how about getting it straight from the horse's mouth?

    Here is Microsoft's own blog post by Terry Myerson, Executive VP at Microsoft

    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...on-innovation/
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 343
    Windows 10
       #9

    FrozenCursor said:
    Microsoft no longer provides Windows Updates under those specified terms.
    No since the restriction is built into the processor you won't be able to install and older Windows OS on that Intel processor. Windows 7 updates will be sent out until the day when support ends.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums