Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    21 Jan 2015 #1
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 25,751
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17046

    Why the desktop PC is far from dead


    Pundits love making bold proclamations that things are dead, and if the commentators are to be believed, the desktop PC needs to get ready for the biggest die-off since the dinosaurs. The idea is that the more agile notebooks are leaving the lumbering desktop PCs in their dust.

    Do the people who make these boldly overconfident claims even use PCs?

    Don't worry, the desktop PC isn't going anywhere. Yes, I know that the bottom has fallen out of PC sales in general - with desktops being harder hit than notebooks - and people nowadays find tablets and smartphones to be far more exciting, the desktop PC isn't going anywhere.

    Here are just a few reasons why:

    Read more: Why the desktop PC is far from dead | ZDNet
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    21 Jan 2015 #2
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 372
    Windows 10

    Well, I've been saying that all along....
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    21 Jan 2015 #3
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    KSA
    Posts : 273
    Windows 7, 8.1, 10 | Linux

    Hello,

    I still prefer Desktop PCs/laptops, we can do almost all the things in it than compare to Tablets or smartphones. The main reason for the growth of tablets and smartphones is 'They are easy to use'. We can simply take example of Android, go to Google Play and download required apps from it, they are usually virus free. But if we consider Windows, we don't have proper place to download apps, in fact, there are lot of gifts (advertisements/useless softwares) available with the downloaded apps in Windows. People those who are beginners face difficulties in running Windows/Mac/Linux but they feel much better while using Tablets/smartphones.
    I may blame advertisements for it.
    Last edited by Fahadking07; 21 Jan 2015 at 11:34.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    21 Jan 2015 #4
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Posts : 804
    10 Pro Preview x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
    Well, I've been saying that all along....
    You have. I disagree with most of what you say but you have indeed been saying that all along.

    The ZD guy is an ass. If you work for even a medium size company you use the PC (computer/terminal whatever) you are given. You might be given VPN access to access the minimum you require.

    BYOD? Seriously in real life this doesn't happen.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    21 Jan 2015 #5
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Posts : 804
    10 Pro Preview x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Fahadking07 View Post
    Hello,

    I still prefer Desktop PCs, we can do almost all the things in it than compare to Tablets or smartphones. The main reason for the growth of tablets and smartphones is 'They are easy to use'. We can simply take example of Android, go to Google Play and download required apps from it, they are usually virus free. But if we consider Windows, we don't have proper place to download apps, in fact, there are lot of gifts (advertisements/useless softwares) available with the downloaded apps in Windows. People those who are beginners face difficulties in running Windows/Mac/Linux but they feel much better while using Tablets/smartphones.
    I may blame advertisements for it.
    However you must admit a laptop is easier to take on the plane.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    21 Jan 2015 #6
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    KSA
    Posts : 273
    Windows 7, 8.1, 10 | Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahadking07 View Post
    Hello,

    I still prefer Desktop PCs, we can do almost all the things in it than compare to Tablets or smartphones. The main reason for the growth of tablets and smartphones is 'They are easy to use'. We can simply take example of Android, go to Google Play and download required apps from it, they are usually virus free. But if we consider Windows, we don't have proper place to download apps, in fact, there are lot of gifts (advertisements/useless softwares) available with the downloaded apps in Windows. People those who are beginners face difficulties in running Windows/Mac/Linux but they feel much better while using Tablets/smartphones.
    I may blame advertisements for it.
    However you must admit a laptop is easier to take on the plane.
    Yes, I agree.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    21 Jan 2015 #7
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 372
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    However you must admit a laptop is easier to take on the plane.
    Yea, I'm on the no-fly list so it's not an issue...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    21 Jan 2015 #8
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 372
    Windows 10

    And that was a joke, no need to alert homeland security...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    21 Jan 2015 #9
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Posts : 246

    Tablets have saturated the market and sales are dropping somewhat while PC sales have started going up again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    21 Jan 2015 #10
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Posts : 804
    10 Pro Preview x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
    Tablets have saturated the market and sales are dropping somewhat while PC sales have started going up again.
    And that is apropos of what exactly?
    Is this some north american thing about throwing not particularly good things out of airplane windows?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Windows Updates fail if battery is low or dead
19649 Credit TenForums member skynet3 in this post To add to skynet3's reputation (you should, especially if it helped you solve an issue on your machine - this was good trouble shooting), either click on his avatar on the left or on the...
Windows Updates and Activation
Keep Windows 10 preview up to date -- or face a dead PC
Keep Windows 10 preview up to date -- or face a dead PC | PCWorld Keep Windows 10 preview up to date -- or face a dead PC Although I know the denizens here in Ten Forums are in no danger, I would have expected better of PCWorld, than...
Windows 10 News
Windows 10: The Charms bar is dead; Start screen dead...
More
Windows 10 News
Internet Explorer dead
Everything was hunky dory until just after I downloaded CrystalDiskInfo via Cnet. Probably just a coincidence as I have had no trouble using either before. I E refused to start and the only option was to reload W 10 afresh.
Browsers and Email
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:43.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums