Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Joined : Jan 2014
    Carencro, LA 70520
    Posts : 7,635
    Windows 10
       06 Jan 2015 #1

    Desktop Apps in Windows 10 Store? Users Say Yes


    Windows 10 is expected to come with a new design for the store, but that's not enough for such a greatly revamped operating system, many users say.

    As a result, Redmond should try to make desktop apps available in the Windows Store as well, many posted in a suggestion on the Windows UserVoice platform, pointing out that this would clearly add a new layer of security and help user keep their computers clean.

    At this point, the store already provides access to some desktop apps, but whenever you click on any of them, the store redirects you to the download page, so they cannot be downloaded directly as it currently happens with Modern apps.

    That should change in Windows 10, many say, while others believe that a completely new store would make even more sense for PC users.
    More
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jul 2014
    UK
    Posts : 16,453
    Windows 10
       06 Jan 2015 #2

    In principle I would like to see desktop apps in the store, but it depends on what control MS have on them and what rules/restrictions are imposed on the developers wanting to list their apps

    When I was using OS X and the store appeared, there where certain rules on the apps (much like mobile app stores) which meant that ones from the app stores sometime had features missing that where available if downloaded direct from the developers website

    so in theory good, but if MS has too much control then I wouldn't want it
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    06 Jan 2015 #3

    Hi there

    I generally don't like "the Store" idea at all -- especially if it starts working like say Google play -- apps can get updated at any time - and if for example (as usually happens with mobile phone apps) the new version either fails to work or you just don't like it (say new GUI or more bloat / unneeded "features") there's never any way to revert back to the previous version -- on most of these "Stores" there just isn't an archive of "previous" versions -- and if you have to do these horrid "1-click installs" then you can't even save the versions manually.

    Nothing too much wrong with the current system for windows installs -- "If it ain't broke -- don't fix it".

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jan 2014
    Carencro, LA 70520
    Posts : 7,635
    Windows 10
       06 Jan 2015 #4

    Extra security for PC users

    A desktop Windows Store would clearly lead to better security for users, as Microsoft would individually scan apps and thus offer everyone malware-free software that wouldn't pose a risk to their computers.
    Did not happen for APPs what makes me think it will happen for desktop apps.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    06 Jan 2015 #5

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    I generally don't like "the Store" idea at all -- especially if it starts working like say Google play -- apps can get updated at any time - and if for example (as usually happens with mobile phone apps) the new version either fails to work or you just don't like it (say new GUI or more bloat / unneeded "features") there's never any way to revert back to the previous version -- on most of these "Stores" there just isn't an archive of "previous" versions -- and if you have to do these horrid "1-click installs" then you can't even save the versions manually.

    Nothing too much wrong with the current system for windows installs -- "If it ain't broke -- don't fix it".

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I agree completely.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       06 Jan 2015 #6

    Yet you have no problem with Chrome and Firefox auto updating?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Feb 2014
    Posts : 372
    Windows 10
       06 Jan 2015 #7

    Trust_No1 said: View Post
    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    I generally don't like "the Store" idea at all -- especially if it starts working like say Google play -- apps can get updated at any time - and if for example (as usually happens with mobile phone apps) the new version either fails to work or you just don't like it (say new GUI or more bloat / unneeded "features") there's never any way to revert back to the previous version -- on most of these "Stores" there just isn't an archive of "previous" versions -- and if you have to do these horrid "1-click installs" then you can't even save the versions manually.

    Nothing too much wrong with the current system for windows installs -- "If it ain't broke -- don't fix it".

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I agree completely.
    Me too..!!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Feb 2014
    Posts : 372
    Windows 10
       06 Jan 2015 #8

    Mystere said: View Post
    Yet you have no problem with Chrome and Firefox auto updating?

    Auto-updating...???

    Nyet nyet soviet....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 6,963
    All kinds
       07 Jan 2015 #9

    Rickkins said: View Post
    Mystere said: View Post
    Yet you have no problem with Chrome and Firefox auto updating?

    Auto-updating...???

    Nyet nyet soviet....
    That was "Da da Canada, nyet nyet Soviet" as far as I remember from that hockey game !!!
    Auto updates, of any kind have been banned from my systems like forever. First things I do after installing system or any programs is to turn all of it OFF.
    With recent scandals with bogus Apps from Windows store, I don't think I could trust them for long time coming.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Feb 2014
    Posts : 372
    Windows 10
       07 Jan 2015 #10

    Abso-freakin'-lutely....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Windows Store will not install apps
I've tried installing multiple apps and The Weather Channel app will go through the motions of installing, but won't actually install (I get the install button again after it says it installed). For the rest of the apps that I tried installing,...
Software and Apps
Setting the manual update of the Store apps for all users
Hi In Windows 10, how do I set the manual update of the Store apps for all users? Thanks Bye
Software and Apps
The New Windows 10 Store App now supports Desktop Apps Updates
Source: mcakins Also Listing your desktop app in the Store
Windows 10 News
Get ready to pay more for apps on Windows Store
Read more: Get ready to pay more for apps on Windows Store from next month | Windows Central
Windows 10 News
Solved Store, Store (beta), and apps
For the past few days, I've been wrestling with Store (beta) issues. It worked, it didn't work, it sort of worked..... When it worked, it offered 10 updates to apps update all did not work, so I updated them individually by hitting the down...
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:53.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums