Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10

    Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10


    Posted: 05 Jan 2015
    One of Microsoft's biggest decisions this year will be whom to charge for Windows 10, and the dollar figure on the price sticker.
    Hints of that decision could come as early as Jan. 21, when Microsoft executives will not only unveil the next iteration in Windows 10's string of previews, but also further explain Windows' part in the company's overall strategy.
    Read more here: Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Windows 10? | CITEworld
    Posted By: bru
    05 Jan 2015

  1. ThrashZone's Avatar
    Posts : 7,108
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64
       #1

    I doubt anyone will get free upgrades possibly testers but that's a long shot,

    I don't see any reason why Microsoft would do anything different from when 8 was released it was reasonably priced but just was worth that much
    Upgrades 14.95 and went up after that,
    Can't remember what iso's went for 49.99 ..to current pricing ?
      My Computers

  2. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 13,512
    Windows 10 Pro X64 20H4 19042.746
       #2

    I bought two copies of Windows 8 Pro for $40 each, wish I had bought more. W10 for that initial price would be great.
      My Computers

  3. whs's Avatar
    whs
    Posts : 1,935
    Windows 7
       #3

    Ztruker said:
    I bought two copies of Windows 8 Pro for $40 each, wish I had bought more. W10 for that initial price would be great.
      My Computer

  4. ThrashZone's Avatar
    Posts : 7,108
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64
       #4

    Yep I thought it was 40 something but it's too early to say if I would do that/ probably :/
      My Computers

  5. Trust_No1's Avatar
    Posts : 630
       #5

    I just don't see Windows 10 as being a big seller, no matter what they do. In the past 4 years most people who bought new systems, tablets and laptops, have done so. I see no reason for myself to get Windows 10. Tablet wise Windows hasn't proven to be all that worth while.

    So that leaves only new PC buyers. I think forcing many off XP, the best candidates for a new PC, those have already done it, and they are not going to run right out and get a new OS.

    Given that scenario, if Microsoft wants to get people to use the Windows 10, I think it will have to be almost dirt cheap. Unless, the Consumer Preview really WOW's me. I doubt I would even bother. I don't see anything in TP, that would make me switch.
      My Computer

  6. Mystere's Avatar
    Posts : 3,257
    Windows 10 Pro
       #6

    Trust_No1 said:
    I just don't see Windows 10 as being a big seller, no matter what they do. In the past 4 years most people who bought new systems, tablets and laptops, have done so. I see no reason for myself to get Windows 10. Tablet wise Windows hasn't proven to be all that worth while.
    Yes, because nobody buys new computers. Nobody gets computers for the first time (think how each year all those students going off to college get new computers). Every year companies replace old systems (3-5 years) that have depreciated with new ones so they get the tax write-offs.

    And, of course there are people that just have to have the latest technology, like the new 5th generation core processors, or they come out with a new must have mobile device because of its unique capabilities or cool look.

    People buy stuff all the time, and that's not going to change.
      My Computer

  7. ThrashZone's Avatar
    Posts : 7,108
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64
       #7

    I would hope it will do better than 8 has done
    But I agree not anything I would replace 7 for
    Bing on the start menu search is anticlimactic for me it just grosses me out completely,
    I went a long time avoiding Bing desktop search in 7 lol and 8 and 10 it's super glued
      My Computers

  8. Trust_No1's Avatar
    Posts : 630
       #8

    Mystere said:
    Trust_No1 said:
    I just don't see Windows 10 as being a big seller, no matter what they do. In the past 4 years most people who bought new systems, tablets and laptops, have done so. I see no reason for myself to get Windows 10. Tablet wise Windows hasn't proven to be all that worth while.
    Yes, because nobody buys new computers. Nobody gets computers for the first time (think how each year all those students going off to college get new computers). Every year companies replace old systems (3-5 years) that have depreciated with new ones so they get the tax write-offs.

    And, of course there are people that just have to have the latest technology, like the new 5th generation core processors, or they come out with a new must have mobile device because of its unique capabilities or cool look.

    People buy stuff all the time, and that's not going to change.
    All I can respond to that with, is that hardware differs from software. I agree people buy new systems all the time, doesn't mean they will be Windows 10. As a comparison, Apples iOS8 was a free upgrade to all, and came pre-installed on the new iPhones.

    I may buy a new bed, but will use my same sheets and pillows.

    That is why I think Microsoft will have to offer Windows 10 at a very, very affordable price, or people simply won't buy it. That is my opinion, you believe as you wish.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 803
    10 Pro Preview x64
       #9

    Trust_No1 said:
    I may buy a new bed, but will use my same sheets and pillows.
    Not if you get a bed from Ikea though - the standard size sheets won't fit as I found out to my cost. Anyway this analogy would be better if the bed came with sheets but you decided to keep using the old ones. Or something like that :)

    Like Ztrucker I'll get a couple if I can. I only got one cheap upgrade to 8 - should have got more.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:23.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums