Windows 10: Microsoft's CEO Says Windows 10 Is Here to Change the...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 7,882
    Windows 10
       26 Nov 2014 #1

    Microsoft's CEO Says Windows 10 Is Here to Change the...


    Windows 10 is already in development right now and Microsoft promised to release new updates for the official Technical Preview builds on a regular basis in anticipation of the final launch of the operating system which could take place in spring 2015.

    Since the new OS is already here in preview form, everyone can have a glimpse at Microsoft's new strategy for Windows, an operating system which continues to be one of the top cash cows of the company, especially in the enterprise industry.

    With Windows 10, Microsoft is aiming to change the approach it has when it comes to updates and improvements shipped to users and that's exactly what the company's new CEO Satya Nadella said in a recent interview during a conference in Switzerland.
    More
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    26 Nov 2014 #2

    SPRING!! Oh make it SO!!

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    28 Nov 2014 #3

    I will be very disappointed if M$ takes the approach Win 8.x has of you must update to the next version, whether you like it or not, to be able to keep getting security updates, which is what it sounds like Nadella is talking about.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 25,570
    Dual boot: Windows 10 Home Insider Build 16179 & W8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
       28 Nov 2014 #4

    We did with SPs. The only difference is that they refer to it as a point 1, 2, etc. Who knows, they may release an 8.2.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    28 Nov 2014 #5

    Lady Fitzgerald said: View Post
    I will be very disappointed if M$ takes the approach Win 8.x has of you must update to the next version, whether you like it or not, to be able to keep getting security updates, which is what it sounds like Nadella is talking about.
    That's really nothing new. As HippsieGypsie pointed out, it's been that way in the past with SP's. After a certain date if you didn't apply SP x, you didn't get any further updates. Support ends unless you update. I think I see where your coming from though. If SP x or update x.x breaks your OS it's not much good to you. That's been an issue (for some) since the first SP was released. Good or bad I can see why Microsoft does it that way. It's less work for them to have to patch all the older versions of Windows without SP x. It makes even more sense (for them) when your dealing with Windows 8.0, 8.1, 8.2 etc. The downside to the new rapid release, as I see it, is the UI changes rolled in with the bug fixes. Not everybody likes the changes and may not update. Now what do you do? It's new territory for Microsoft and those running its software.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,468
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       28 Nov 2014 #6

    I don't remember MS changing the OS hardware requirements with Service Packs though (like they did with W8).

    Maybe I've just been lucky on that front.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    28 Nov 2014 #7

    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    I don't remember MS changing the OS hardware requirements with Service Packs though (like they did with W8).

    Maybe I've just been lucky on that front.
    Ah, good point, I forgot about that. It didn't impact me so I kind of forgot about it. That did catch a few people out. And Microsoft didn't help things by saying the 8.0 to 8.1 update wasn't a service pack, but then treating it like it was one, as far as support goes. Let me just say that even though I am a Microsoft MVP, I don't agree with everything they do. If you bought 8.0 and now can't upgrade to 8.1 that sucks if end of support ends up being sooner than latter. I have some pretty old hardware here so I guess I've been lucky too.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1,511
    Win-7Prox64 Win-8.1Prox64 Win-10Prox64
       29 Nov 2014 #8

    It's like all updates Microsoft bundles Optional ones as Recommended which neither have anything to do with Important updates and should not be pushed onto users
    But the windows update setting are pretty clear,
    win-10TP it's just a pain to take control over the different categories because you have to use group policy and give rights to local admin to separate all of the crap "New Features" as stated faster
    It's always best to do a little research on these so called new features first to prepare for weird stuff or possible unexpected errors
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    29 Nov 2014 #9

    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    I don't remember MS changing the OS hardware requirements with Service Packs though (like they did with W8).

    Maybe I've just been lucky on that front.
    Hi there

    Windows XP SP3 (the service pack they weren't going to issue) relied on a lot of new hardware - although I don't think though that SP3 stopped working on the older machines. It just didn't run as well since some of the newer hardware instructions couldn't be executed so alternative more inefficient code ran in those cases.

    In any case if you take backups BEFORE updating / applying SP's then if it doesn't work simply restore and wait until a fix comes out.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 1,468
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       29 Nov 2014 #10

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Ah, good point, I forgot about that. It didn't impact me so I kind of forgot about it. That did catch a few people out. And Microsoft didn't help things by saying the 8.0 to 8.1 update wasn't a service pack, but then treating it like it was one, as far as support goes. Let me just say that even though I am a Microsoft MVP, I don't agree with everything they do. If you bought 8.0 and now can't upgrade to 8.1 that sucks if end of support ends up being sooner than latter. I have some pretty old hardware here so I guess I've been lucky too.
    The thing is didn't MS say that problematic W8 update was mandatory (I could be thinking of a different update though)?

    It didn't affect me as I'm not running W8.

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Windows XP SP3 (the service pack they weren't going to issue) relied on a lot of new hardware - although I don't think though that SP3 stopped working on the older machines. It just didn't run as well since some of the newer hardware instructions couldn't be executed so alternative more inefficient code ran in those cases.

    In any case if you take backups BEFORE updating / applying SP's then if it doesn't work simply restore and wait until a fix comes out.
    I didn't have any issues with that SP and my hardware would have been ~4 years old (if not older) at the time.

    I guess I was lucky back then too.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Browsers & Email Change Startup Page in Microsoft Edge in Tutorials
How to Change Microsoft Edge Startup Page in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser added in Windows 10, and will be available across the Windows 10 device family. It is fast, compatible, and built for the modern Web. The startup web...
How to Change what New Tabs in Microsoft Edge Open with in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser added in Windows 10, and will be available across the Windows 10 device family. It is fast, compatible, and built for the modern Web. ...
How to Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that will be available across the Windows 10 device family. It is fast, compatible, and built for the modern Web. By default, Microsoft...
How to Change the Theme of Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser added in Windows 10, and will be available across the Windows 10 device family. It is fast, compatible, and built for the modern Web. Windows 10 has a...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51.
Find Us