Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade  


  1. Posts : 61,554
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #250

    Hello Charlie, and welcome to Ten Forums. :)

    That's correct. The ISO will need to be the same as what you currently have installed.

    Are you able to update Windows 10 instead to see if that may help. If not, then at least you will have the current build installed to be able to get an ISO for.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 123,498
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.708
       #251

    Charlie Morris said:
    Old HP Laptop, kind of like me, went thru 90% of Nov upgrade with a "Power Outage" and battery went dead shortly before last restart.

    After several Answer Desk failed attempts, changing this and changing that, I gave up since their changes would no longer even allow an attempt to install 1511, as it previously did.

    Finally found this thread and joined immediately.

    I can't seem to find a Windows 10 build 10240 repair and reinstall method, if there is one, as I understand you have to repair in "Like Kind", correct?

    Thanks, Charlie
    Hi Charlie, Win 1511 Home version should work, don't need 10240 as long as your Windows 10 is activated. You just need to download the ISO From Tech Bench. Then fallow the instructions on page 1 of this thread. You either want the 64 or 32 bit version. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9...-download.html
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 11
    Windows 10
       #252

    Just want to make sure again...

    If I do this "repair install" to fix icons that are missing in my start menu, it won't delete any picture/music/video files or app installed I have originally on my computer?

    I just need to 100% make sure it won't happen. 'Cause if it does, then I'll be screwed and it will be very very hard to get them back.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 61,554
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #253

    Theresa said:
    Just want to make sure again...

    If I do this "repair install" to fix icons that are missing in my start menu, it won't delete any picture/music/video files or app installed I have originally on my computer?

    I just need to 100% make sure it won't happen. 'Cause if it does, then I'll be screwed and it will be very very hard to get them back.
    Correct. :)
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 11
    Windows 10
       #254

    Brink said:
    Correct. :)
    Alright thanks.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 61,554
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #255

    You're most welcome. Please let us know how it went. :)
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 10
    Windows 10 Home build 10240
       #256

    Brink said:
    Hello Charlie, and welcome to Ten Forums. :)

    That's correct. The ISO will need to be the same as what you currently have installed.

    Are you able to update Windows 10 instead to see if that may help. If not, then at least you will have the current build installed to be able to get an ISO for.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html
    That was TOO Quick... and... compared to Answer Desk,,, You Are a Breath of "Fresh Air".

    Either the power outage or Answer Desk ultimately "might" have corrupted the ability of 1511 to "Start" the install as it did originally.

    Windows Update or Tools did download and/or complete the verification, getting things ready, etc. then go to the small windows banner as if it will start, then error box says it couldn't start - reboot and try again. Everything says - Retry or Reboot and Try Again.

    Yes, tried Update and Tools every couple of weeks thinking a new update will allow an install to start, but until your thread, no real hope.

    Windows 10 Home Build 10240 runs Great and Updates Windows Defender, Malicious Software etc fine. That's why I thought a 10240 reinstall might help, just don't know where to get it.

    As a Nam Vet, I can follow instructions even though not a Tech Person and I can handle the "Truth", if bad news.

    Tell OldMike65, that's a beautiful dog and as a dog lover, I've always had a dos(s) for as long as I can remember.

    Thanks Again, Charlie
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 123,498
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.708
       #257

    Charlie Morris said:
    That was TOO Quick... and... compared to Answer Desk,,, You Are a Breath of "Fresh Air".

    Either the power outage or Answer Desk ultimately "might" have corrupted the ability of 1511 to "Start" the install as it did originally.

    Windows Update or Tools did download and/or complete the verification, getting things ready, etc. then go to the small windows banner as if it will start, then error box says it couldn't start - reboot and try again. Everything says - Retry or Reboot and Try Again.

    Yes, tried Update and Tools every couple of weeks thinking a new update will allow an install to start, but until your thread, no real hope.

    Windows 10 Home Build 10240 runs Great and Updates Windows Defender, Malicious Software etc fine. That's why I thought a 10240 reinstall might help, just don't know where to get it.

    As a Nam Vet, I can follow instructions even though not a Tech Person and I can handle the "Truth", if bad news.

    Tell OldMike65, that's a beautiful dog and as a dog lover, I've always had a dos(s) for as long as I can remember.

    Thanks Again, Charlie
    Thanks Charlie and THANKS for protecting our country with YOUR Service!!!! My dogs name is Bella, purebred Doberman.
    Glad your issue is fixed too!!! Take Care Sir :)
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 61,554
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #258

    I'm glad to hear all is well now Charlie. :)
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 10
    Windows 10 Home build 10240
       #259

    OldMike65 said:
    Thanks Charlie and THANKS for protecting our country with YOUR Service!!!! My dogs name is Bella, purebred Doberman.
    Glad your issue is fixed too!!! Take Care Sir :)
    Thank You,

    No not fixed yet, just went into probably too much explanation of my experiences.

    Still need to find a 10240 reinstall, "I think", unless you advise differently.

    Bella is beautiful, my brother had 2.
      My Computer


 

Tutorial Categories

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:29.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums