ShowKeyPlus

Page 44 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast
  1. Superfly's Avatar
    Posts : 3,272
    Thread Starter
       #431

    OK no need for the MGA then... I was under the impression it would not activate - I must have read the sevenforums posts incorrectly... LOL.
      My Computer

  2. ICIT2LOL's Avatar
    Posts : 4,202
    1010 Pro on all on various machines version 1909
       #432

    Yep Craig it only means a reboot if I have to anyway
      My Computer

  3. Superfly's Avatar
    Posts : 3,272
    Thread Starter
       #433

    Still not not sure about the integrity of that install bud, but as you said in PM, when you back from your trip, a clean install maybe best.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 6
    Windows 8.1
       #434

    Guys I lost my original key afterwards which I stupidly entered a wrong key and lost my Original windows 8.1,Don't ask me how i did it -_-
    ShowKeyPlus-capture.png
    Trying to get my old orignal key back
    But trying to go to C:\Windows\System32\Config folder in the ShowKeyPlus. I'm getting error software hive is in use
    Can't help myself plssss help me out
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-re...ws-old-folder/
      My Computer

  5. Superfly's Avatar
    Posts : 3,272
    Thread Starter
       #435

    Juggernaut said:
    Guys I lost my original key afterwards which I stupidly entered a wrong key and lost my Original windows 8.1,Don't ask me how i did it -_-
    ShowKeyPlus-capture.png
    Trying to get my old orignal key back
    But trying to go to C:\Windows\System32\Config folder in the ShowKeyPlus. I'm getting error software hive is in use
    Can't help myself plssss help me out
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-re...ws-old-folder/
    You can't access the registry that is in use (i.e on C:)

    If you do not have the windows folder backed up somewhere else, you'll need to boot from USB. If you have a Macrium or similar rescue disk copy the System32\config folder somewhere - then you'll be able to re-direct to that instead - or better still try running one of the PESE iso's - it has ShowKey on it.
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

    BTW: You won't get anymore info than you already have...
    Last edited by Superfly; 21 Jul 2016 at 08:23.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 6
    Windows 8.1
       #436

    Superfly said:
    You can't access the registry that is in use (i.e on C:)

    If you do not have the windows folder backed up somewhere else, you'll need to boot from USB. If you have a Macrium or similar rescue disk copy the System32\config folder somewhere - then you'll be able to re-direct to that instead - or better still try running one of the PESE iso's - it has ShowKey on it.
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

    BTW: You won't get anymore info than you already have...
    Thanks went for third option ...Bro tell me is that PESE iso a mirror image of the windows folder? Because its 800 mbs download.
    If its something else a little more help would be appreciated thank you
      My Computer


  7. Superfly's Avatar
    Posts : 3,272
    Thread Starter
       #437

    It's not gonna help much, all you are gonna be doing is what ShowKey does automatically when it's started. See if you have a Windows.old folder - that would be more helpful to get an old key.

    BTW PESE is a self-contained Windows installation with only the essential bits included.
      My Computer

  8. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 13,220
    Windows 10 Pro
       #438

    Juggernaut said:
    Thanks went for third option ...Bro tell me is that PESE iso a mirror image of the windows folder? Because its 800 mbs download.
    If its something else a little more help would be appreciated thank you
    When you first start showkey, it scans (effectively) the active C:\Windows\System32\Config folder and displays what is there. That's what it does on it's own by default - and also the computer's BIOS/firmware. Going in through a back door such as PESE and loading C:\Windows\System32\Config folder that way is not going to reveal any new information.

    As Superfly explained, the retrieve key from backup function is for finding product keys stored in Windows backup images - not the Windows that is installed and running. If you have a Windows.old folder you can look in there for a backup of your old Windows that you could possibly retrieve a product key from. If you have a Macrium Reflect Free image backup, you could mount that image and possibly retrieve a product key from that. If you have an image created by Windows built-in backup and recovery, you could mount that VHD file and possibly retrieve a product key from that.

    But if you don't have a backup image of the previous OS to look in - all you are going to get is what showkey produces when it first starts up.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 6
    Windows 8.1
       #439

    NavyLCDR said:
    When you first start showkey, it scans (effectively) the active C:\Windows\System32\Config folder and displays what is there. That's what it does on it's own by default - and also the computer's BIOS/firmware. Going in through a back door such as PESE and loading C:\Windows\System32\Config folder that way is not going to reveal any new information.

    As Superfly explained, the retrieve key from backup function is for finding product keys stored in Windows backup images - not the Windows that is installed and running. If you have a Windows.old folder you can look in there for a backup of your old Windows that you could possibly retrieve a product key from. If you have a Macrium Reflect Free image backup, you could mount that image and possibly retrieve a product key from that. If you have an image created by Windows built-in backup and recovery, you could mount that VHD file and possibly retrieve a product key from that.

    But if you don't have a backup image of the previous OS to look in - all you are going to get is what showkey produces when it first starts up.
    Bro I was getting around that but it seems that I different approach to getting a new windows is working well so far.
    ShowKeyPlus-capture.png
    Do you think I'm good my windows 8.1 is going to expire on 8th next month.Damn and yeah I can't find the windows.old folder its nowhere to be found.PS Can you simply explain to me in very noob terms that the Iso image is for a divert purpose because the software hive is busy with my current windows ..aye?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ShowKeyPlus-capture.png  
      My Computer

  10. Superfly's Avatar
    Posts : 3,272
    Thread Starter
       #440

    Aye.
      My Computer


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:02.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums