Windows 10: Location Greyed Out - Cortana Set Up Blocked Solved


  1. Posts : 1
    Win 10 Professional
       25 Aug 2015 #1

    Location Greyed Out - Cortana Set Up Blocked


    In attempting to set up Cortana, I get the requirement that location services must be turned on. That is greyed out (which makes sense on a desktop with no location capability). But it is then impossible to proceed with Cortana.

    Duncan
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 22,288
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16251
       25 Aug 2015 #2

    Hello Duncan, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

    Double check using the tutorial below to see if you may be able to turn on location services, and have it turned on for "Search" (Cortana).

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    04 Mar 2016 #3

    Location for this device is off - change location button is greyed out


    Hi guys,
    I have a similar problem. No matter what I do I cannot click on the location "CHANGE" button in privacy, location settings! It is greyed out and will not respond.

    Cheers,
    John.

    Brink said: View Post
    Hello Duncan, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

    Double check using the tutorial below to see if you may be able to turn on location services, and have it turned on for "Search" (Cortana).

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    17 Jun 2016 #4

    webmasterasaa said: View Post
    Hi guys,
    I have a similar problem. No matter what I do I cannot click on the location "CHANGE" button in privacy, location settings! It is greyed out and will not respond.

    Cheers,
    John.
    Okay so I had this issue for the longest frickin time and couldn't figure out how to fix it. But by golly I've done it! Basically you have to go to regedit and go through a process. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lfsvc\TriggerInfo\3.
    NOTE: This is important. Lfsvc starts with an L, not an I like I thought it did. So you have to go to Lfsvc. Then triggerinfo, then ONLY DELETE folder 3. Restart your computer, and when you open it up again, run (windows key + R) services.msc and locate (pun intended) geolocation services. It will say disabled, you want to right click that and open properties. Then change disabled to automatic. Save that/apply it, and close. You should be okay after that, and locations and Cortana should work. Hope this helps!!!

      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    18 Jun 2016 #5

    marycatecahill said: View Post
    Okay so I had this issue for the longest frickin time and couldn't figure out how to fix it. But by golly I've done it! Basically you have to go to regedit and go through a process. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lfsvc\TriggerInfo\3.
    NOTE: This is important. Lfsvc starts with an L, not an I like I thought it did. So you have to go to Lfsvc. Then triggerinfo, then ONLY DELETE folder 3. Restart your computer, and when you open it up again, run (windows key + R) services.msc and locate (pun intended) geolocation services. It will say disabled, you want to right click that and open properties. Then change disabled to automatic. Save that/apply it, and close. You should be okay after that, and locations and Cortana should work. Hope this helps!!!

    Hi marycatecahill, thank you sooo much. I have carried out your instructions and hey presto, Cortana now works! BINGO!
    Thanks once again!
    John.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    10 Sep 2016 #6

    marycatecahill said: View Post
    Okay so I had this issue for the longest frickin time and couldn't figure out how to fix it. But by golly I've done it! Basically you have to go to regedit and go through a process. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lfsvc\TriggerInfo\3.
    NOTE: This is important. Lfsvc starts with an L, not an I like I thought it did. So you have to go to Lfsvc. Then triggerinfo, then ONLY DELETE folder 3. Restart your computer, and when you open it up again, run (windows key + R) services.msc and locate (pun intended) geolocation services. It will say disabled, you want to right click that and open properties. Then change disabled to automatic. Save that/apply it, and close. You should be okay after that, and locations and Cortana should work. Hope this helps!!!


    Thank you SOOO much Mary!! I followed the directions and Cortana is my friend again!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Hey guys! I'm trying to install a program but Windows says the publisher's been blocked. Problem is that there's no button to unlock it. There's just an OK button. Is there a way to go around this?
I created a video explaining my issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAWmJa-JKp0 In addition, Cortana doesn't work at all.
Did anyone see this? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930 Seems to be one less reason to reject Windows 10. Good on them. (But I'm not jumping ship yet.) (I'm going to have to come up with a comic image where I'm laying on a...
Activation blocked in Windows Updates and Activation
Is this a permanent thing now or do you think it will start working again after the 29th?
Blocked programs and not full administrator rights? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
So both me and my friend upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10, at first everything was going fine the OS worked perfectly and it felt very fluid however when we attempted to install or play certain games/programs we encountered that we were no...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:43.
Find Us