About a new Hard Drive

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 17,620
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #31

    sygnus21 said:
    There actually was a "Red" but it seems Western Digital did a bit or renaming.... probably after the whole SMR fiasco and subsequent lawsuit - Western Digital Lawsuit For Shipping Slower SMR Hard Drives Including WD Red NAS

    Also.... Western Digital admits 2TB-6TB WD Red NAS drives use shingled magnetic recording

    And in the U.S. where I live, the WD Black is only 10 dollars more verses the Red Pro at Amazon - Red Po ($139) vs Black ($149)

    I don't make these things up


    That's all well and good, and I too can check the US prices. Not that that matters to someone in the UK.

    I already suggested WD Blacks in post #2, which makes me wonder if you read it. ^^
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 5,816
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2
       #32

    Jaylob4 said:
    Sygnus you may think you are 99.9999% right but you were wrong--you are 100% correct, the board is configured for UEFI.
    I figured that, but couldn't be 100 percent sure, so ...

    And it a nutshell, you shouldn't worry about SMR, unless you intend to use the drive for NAS work. That said, if worried about SMR (and you shouldn't for a simple gaming drive) I'd go WD Black. The WD 4TB Black uses CMR... Western Digital - On WD Red NAS Drives (Scroll down to "We're listening.")

    And yes, the Red drives are designed to spin all the time... after all they are intended for NAS use, where they need to run 24/7/365 (they do spin down, but don't stop spinning) - WD red drive 10TB spinning at max RPM all the time. They can also get loud. Again, why I (and others) suggested the Black.

    I have both the WD Red Pro's (in my NAS) and WD Blacks that are now used as external drives.

    Hope this helps
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 165
    Win10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #33

    Ghot said:
    That's all well and good, and I too can check the US prices. Not that that matters to someone in the UK.

    I already suggested WD Blacks in post #2, which makes me wonder if you read it. ^^
    Hi Ghot,

    I ordered from Amazon UK via your links the WD Red Pro 4TB and the cables.

    If budget allowed I would have chosen the WD Black for my GS.

    Incidentally, he and his Dad built PC around a year ago.

    The PSU is a EVGA 750w but can't be sure if it's modular or non-modular model.
    Thanks again.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 5,816
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2
       #34

    @Ghot, not sure what your issue is with me... first you tell me there's no WD Red, I prove you wrong. Then you tell me there's a $50 price difference between the Red and Black, I point out not so in the US and you still come across snippy. What's you issue with me?

    It's about helping the OP, not personality conflicts.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 17,620
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #35

    Jaylob4 said:
    Hi Ghot,

    I ordered from Amazon UK via your links the WD Red Pro 4TB and the cables.

    If budget allowed I would have chosen the WD Black for my GS.

    Incidentally, he and his Dad built PC around a year ago.

    The PSU is a EVGA 750w but can't be sure if it's modular or non-modular model.
    Thanks again.


    Oh he'll be fine with that PSU. For a PSU that expensive, you don't toss out the cables.
    I thought you had mentioned a Corsair 400W power supply.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 17,620
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #36

    sygnus21 said:
    @Ghot, not sure what your issue is with me... first you tell me there's no WD Red, I prove you wrong. Then you tell me there's a $50 price difference between the Red and Black, I point out not so in the US and you still come across snippy. What's you issue with me?

    It's about helping the OP, not personality conflicts.


    I research things before posting.\
    There is no RED... today, which is the day we're concerned with.
    He's not buying a HDD in the US, so the US prices don't matter.

    It's not anything personal. It's nothing but the facts, ma'am.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 5,816
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2
       #37

    Ghot said:
    It's not anything personal. It's nothing but the facts, ma'am.
    I see you're that type of person who'd rather hurl insults than admit you're proven wrong.

    Thanks for the reveal
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 17,620
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #38

    sygnus21 said:
    I see you're that type of person who'd rather hurl insults than admit you're proven wrong.

    Thanks for the reveal



    If you say so... LOL.
    Have a good life bro. ^^
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 165
    Win10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #39

    sygnus21 said:
    I figured that, but couldn't be 100 percent sure, so ...
    And it a nutshell, you shouldn't worry about SMR, unless you intend to use the drive for NAS work. That said, if worried about SMR (and you shouldn't for a simple gaming drive) I'd go WD Black. The WD 4TB Black uses CMR... Western Digital - On WD Red NAS Drives (Scroll down to "We're listening.")
    And yes, the Red drives are designed to spin all the time... after all they are intended for NAS use, where they need to run 24/7/365 (they do spin down, but don't stop spinning) - WD red drive 10TB spinning at max RPM all the time. They can also get loud. Again, why I (and others) suggested the Black.

    I have both the WD Red Pro's (in my NAS) and WD Blacks that are now used as external drives.
    Hope this helps
    Thanks Sygnus.

    I have ordered the WD Red Pro 4TB 3.5 7200rpm

    I would have purchased 4TB WD Black but the budget is tight, his brother's birthday is next and soon and then a sister and they all want their star presents from their parents and granddad expected to follow close if possible.

    I read your posts and the links, I rate WD but do think their deceptions' a little like the VW emission scandal here and world wide and then spin it as, ( pun not intended ) they were listening when in fact WD were forced to admit what they had done.

    Where is power profiles in Win 10?

    Thanks again.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Ghot said:
    Oh he'll be fine with that PSU. For a PSU that expensive, you don't toss out the cables.
    I thought you had mentioned a Corsair 400W power supply.
    I had, I was referring to the PSU in our own build about 6-7 years ago, a Corsair 400w.

    The specs' on our machine is so antiquated posting them, I think I'd get myself banned.

    It chugs along, runs Win 10, does what I need it to do and the only recent replacement was the CPU fan with the help of ring can pulls.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 17,620
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #40

    Jaylob4 said:
    I had, I was referring to the PSU in our own build about 6-7 years ago, a Corsair 400w.

    The specs' on our machine is so antiquated posting them, I think I'd get myself banned.

    It chugs along, runs Win 10, does what I need it to do and the only recent replacement was the CPU fan with the help of ring can pulls.


    My mistake.
    I'm just happy you have a decent PSU.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:58.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums