Windows 10: Ethernet network between 3 Windows 10 PCs problem
I have ensured that all my PCs have been updated with the anniversary update plus all of the lasted updates.
I have check the settings as per your message for points 1 through to 5, but the Windows Pro main PC can network with the laptop running Windows 10 home but neither can communicate with my other PC running Windows 10 Pro although is listed in File Explorer.
I left all PCs running for 2 hours but still no connection, it asks for Windows Credentials.
If you did major Updates it would be worth Checking the Win10 hasn't changed the Netbios Setting back to Default ...it should be Enabled
did you Enter the Credentials for each of the other two Computer in Control Panel >Credential Manager>Windows Credentials. I ignore the error when I open it if I get one. use Add a Windows Cred. button above the modified/date column.
And did you follow TopGuns List in his post and do those things/check those things again? eg all Services Like Browser are Runnning
You do just have a simple 3 PC LAN connected to your Router right? No Domain correct ?
Like TGun I also assign static IP addresses on my Router to each Computer/Device via MAC Reservation /Addressing , Laptops and tablets can get different IP addresses every time they connect otherwise , his post is about a Netgear but same principle on your Router , Mine is a TP Link C7 for example.
I check that all of your suggestions 1 - 6 are set after the updates.
All PCs connected to my router.
I did not enter any credentials on NOVA-MAIN running Win 10 pro and E3-111 running Win 10 home and they are connected on the network, the PC that I cannot get connected on the network is VIVA running Win 10 Pro.
What credentials do I need to put in the
What do I need to put in the Control Panel >Credential Manager>Windows Credentials?
I have not set any credentials.
HI Walter , here is my full list , hopefully I didn't miss anything earlier , some you have likely done already though in this thread.... but at least this way you can copy and paste it to Wordpad and print it/save it for future reference.
Network Setup..... No HomeGroup...
1. Turn off HomeGroup on all Computers.... HomeGroup>Leave HomeGroup
2. Confirm All computers have the same Workgroup Name , can be any name as long as ALL have the same.
3. Network set to Private and discoverable with file and printer sharing , and Password Sharing is Turned ON
4. Each PC should have a Default User with a Logon Password (this can later be disabled if not desired at Logon) this is then used to Enter the Credentials for each of the other two Computers in Control Panel > Credential Manager > Windows Credentials. I ignore the error when I open it if I get one. Use the Add a Windows Cred. button above the modified/date column , to add each PC's Username and Password to the Other Computers so they can access the other Computers without having to Enter the Password each time.
5. All Protocols installed on the Network Adaptor eg IPV4, IPV6 , Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks.
6. Netbios Enabled (not set to Default ) under IPV4 Protocol> Advanced Settings>Wins Tab
7. Check All Computers are getting an IP address from the Router , on Home Networks this is Usually a 192.168.X.X number , other numbers like 169.254.235.200 usually indicate the computer is being given a "Local IP address" by Windows as the NIC can't find the Router , eg a bad cable or Driver is stopping it, from talking to the router and getting it's Reserved IP Address ( see below) or one given out by DHCP.
8. Set Shares Up on Folder or Drives on each computer as desired via RC on item >Share with >Advanced Sharing>Sharing Tab>Advanced Sharing Button>Share this Folder box , give it an informative name and descrption >click Permissions it should say Everyone but make sure Full Control box is Checked. (maybe Read only by default)> hit Apply >Ok >Ok >Close . The Share's informatioon will now be Broadcast by the Computer/Browser Master over the Network (LAN) but it may take a minute or two to be seen by the other Computers on the LAN. The Options above will be slightly different if you share Folders vs Sharing a Drive, ie I usually share whole storage Drives but only share Certain Folders/Libraries like Documents , Photos, Music on C: Drive.
9. On the Router I usually Reserve IP Addresses for each Computer Under Lan Settings , that process will be slightly different on each Router but is not differcult , DHCP is still left On , I usually set a range of 20 usually eg 192.168.1.61 to 192.168.1.81 with a subnet of 255.255.0.0 Commonly the Subnet is 255.255.255.255 but I find I have issues with that eg with IPV6 since I Bridge My ISP's b/g/n Router on Port 1 with my own AC speed Router. Reserving addresses just make sure that computers or other devices like Wifi Cams or a NAS Box always gets the Same IP Address from the Router, also know as a Static IP Address. Now Reboot the Router so those Addresses are setup and given out by the Router to each computer as it reboots. ( Router may force this anyway )
I. It is also suggested to now Reboot each PC too and if that does not help then try this:
II. Boot up each PC and open the elevated command prompt ( RC Start Button>CPadmin ) and type:
III. ipconfig /flushdns <Enter>
IV. then type:
V. ipconfig <Enter> You should see the local static IP assigned on the Router above on each PC.
Other things to Try / Check if the above fails to work...........
1. Make sure Computrs are all on the same Subnet ie 255.255.0.0 or commonly 255.255.255.255
2. Make sure the following Services are On and Running on all PC’s via Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services
i. COM+ Event System
ii. Computer Browser
iii. DHCP Client
iv. DNS Client
v. Network Connections
vi. Network Location Awareness
vii. Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
ix. TCP/IP Netbios helper
x. Wireless Zero Configuration ( XP wireless configurations only)
xi. WLAN AutoConfig
That is great help (even I can follow it :-) ,
My problem is all my PCs are set so no password is need to logon to Windows 10 as I have a poor memory for passwords!
Do you know how I can find the Windows password?
Do I have to create three sets of Windows credentials on each PC?
So far I have created a Windows credential on NOVA ( that one is the only PC that I can remember the Windows password!
Hi Walter , Windows doesn't actually care what name is , and on Win7 is was actually advised by some to just make the Username and Password the same on ALL Computers in the LAN, to make Networking easier. On Windows 10 if you use your Microsoft Account to sign into the Computer instead of the Local Account then Your Email Address and Password become the Username and Password.
If you never set a Password , then it is Blank , and maybe the reason you can't connect , Windows is a bit weird , as it seems sometime it doesn't care if the Password is Blank and other times it just won't connect till there is one , and then wolla it connects without issues as if nothing was wrong. Again Windows likes a Password.... it is also used to Schedule some Events.
Once it is all set Up you can just disable passwords at Logon again so you don't have to do it every time , the same method to do that , still works in Windows 10 too....
Win Key+ R > type netplwiz (enter)> and uncheck the Users must use a Password Box at the Top> OK Button.
See if this Tutorial helps with the Credentials Manager and adding Windows Credentials , on each PC try entering the Other two PC's Credentials.
Credential Manager - Where Windows Stores Passwords Login Details
Some Password Finding (resetting really) info here if not just Blank currently ...read the Article if you use a Local Account though.
If you forget your Windows admin password, try this | PCWorld
I give up with setting up the network on Windows 10.
Before I update to the anniversary update I had my network working OK but now with the Anniversary update the network settings not work even with your settings.
XP was easy to setup a network, Windows 8.1 a bit more difficult but I had that setup OK.
Thanks for all your help.
I am sorry to here that Walter , your are right it should not be this difficult.
I am trying to think what could be missing on that one computer , or if it has some software the other two don't , eg a different Virus Program , with built in Firewall or something like that , that is quietly blocking access. Something to possibly check.....
In device Manager , turn on show hidden devices at the top and see if anything like Teredo is disabled under networking....
There is a new update today for win 10 AU to .187 , cross your fingers
I have ensured that all my pcs are updated to the latest updates available.
I have setup Windows Credentials on all pcs.
I can now access the files and read and write an copy files from Nova (Win 10 Pro) to my laptop (Win Home) but I cannot access Nova from my laptop, I get a message saying Enter Network Credentials!
Why has Microsoft made setting up a network on Win 10 such a pain? I would go back to XP if that was still supported.
I am having trouble finding a network path. I rent a room in a row home & Live on the 3rd floor. On the 1st floor is our living room, I am attempting to access my external hard drive thats connected to my desktop in my bedroom via my...
I have just up dated four of our computers to windows 10 and set up a wifi network between the 4 computers without too many problems.
However I have a problem with a local connection from my main pc (windows 10) to a pc which runs in parallel (pc...
I have been having problems with my computer randomly dropping my internet connection. Usually my ping spikes real high, Skype disconnects me, the game I'm playing disconnects me. I had this problem before upgrading to windows 10 and don't know if...
dear sir/ madame
i've been with this problem for months and i have tried multiple solutions offered by others on the internet, yet i'll give it another try here.
i'm using a powerline adapter directly plugged into the wall on my desktop. And...
Hi guys! I've been having an issue since installing Windows 10.
Whenever I stream (e.g. youtube/netflix) or download (i.e. windows updates) my Ethernet cuts out and I know longer have a connection to the internet. My connection to the router...