How set the default when do Save As after editing a doc using MS365?

1. Posts : 137
    Windolws 10

How set the default when do Save As after editing a doc using MS365?

Windows 10 Home v 22H2, OS build 19045.2965
    Dell XPS 8940 Tower 10th gen Intel Core i7-10700
    Dell XPS58940-7262BLK-PUS
    Google Chrome v 113.0.5672.129

Ever since I started using MS365, after editing a doc, I would just do a SaveAs and then #1 and it would save it back to its original path name default. Now however, the default folder is OneDrive - Personal for everything.
    I had OneDrive turned Off a long time ago as the default by the installer and it works fine saving the file back to its original path NOT OneDrive.

I can manually override the OneDrive everytime but that is a pain in the #$%.

I actually Only use OneDrive when I select it purposedly for ONE special file and never had this problem before where it became the default save to folder for Everything.

How do I change the default so I can use the Save As the way it worked before?
      My Computer

2. Posts : 17,015
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170

The setting is in Word options.
    Word,
    File menu,
    Options,
    Save,
    Default file location.

In addition to which, once you have browsed to a folder in a File open or SaveAs dialog, it should start in the same folder again the next time you use that dialog for a new file.
    Existing files should save to their current location even if you use SaveAs. Are you saying that this does not happen?

Best of luck,
    Denis
      My Computer

3. Posts : 137
    Windolws 10

Denis,

Thanks for the info.
    Somehow everything is saved to One Driver - Personal
    I used to do a Save As + #1 and it went back to the many multiple locations (that I use) it originated from.

I opened the Word > Options > Save and below is what I have:
    I tried unchecking various combinations but nothing would cause the Save As to go back to original.
    Appreciate the help.

WordSaveAs061723.docx

WordSaveAs2.docx
      My Computer

4. Posts : 17,015

Rob,

How set the default when do Save As after editing a doc using MS365?-diag2.png - How set the default when do Save As after editing a doc using MS365?-diag1.png

I uninstalled OneDrive as soon as Windows was installed so I'm not much cop at helping resolve its annoyances.
    I thought it had changed your Default local file location but that's not it. [I use Word 2007 most of the time where that entry is called Default file location and the change had slipped my mind.]
    Perhaps it has changed your default folders in the Registry
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    so paste that into RegEdit [regedit.exe] address bar to get straight there and check the Personal entry [which means your Documents folder].

I've posted your diagrams so they might help somebody else who looks at your thread.

By the way, you could have just posted the diagrams instead of putting them inside Word docs.
    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files - TenForumsTutorials

@Bree @Megahertz
    - Can you help Rob with this?

Denis
    Last edited by Try3; 17 Jun 2023 at 11:13.
      My Computer

5. Posts : 137
    Windolws 10

Denis,

Thanks for your very detailed reply and the attachment instructions.

I looked at the User Shell Folders and I have about 20 files located there.
    I'm not clear on what you are suggesting I paste there or even how to "Paste".
    Please clarify.

PS: When I do a SaveAs under the current set up, I discovered I can just select C = This PC instead of the #1 = OneDrive default and everything seems to save back to the original path ok. If I don't forget and use #1 I guess I can get used it. I don't know if that helps at all.

Rob
      My Computer

6. Posts : 17,015

ROb,

In that Registry key there are indeed lots of entries [folder paths - not files].
    One of them is called Personal. That was the one I wanted you to look at.
    There are others - Music, Video, Pictures, some with long strings of what appears to be nonsense rather than words.

If your SaveAs dialog has the option to save to ThisPC instead of OneDrive then that seems best.

Denis
      My Computer

7. Posts : 137
    Windolws 10

I agree.
    I'll just switch to using the "C" vs "1".

Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Rob
      My Computer