Upgrade from Office 2010 to 2019

1. Posts : 51
    Windows 10 Pro

Upgrade from Office 2010 to 2019

I am currently running Office 2010 on a Windows 10, 21H2 (19044.2604), 64 bit desktop and would like to upgrade to Office 2019 Home and Business (one time perpetual license). I am a heavy Outlook user with several linked email accounts and a large number of rules and contacts and multiple calendars. Excel has macros and add-ins like Kutools and Acrobat. Word has several dictionaries. I know MS discontinued support for 2010 as of 5/1/2022.

I would prefer to perform an actual upgrade from 2010 to 2019 which would preserve all my settings, accounts, etc. However I am finding a lot of contradicting info on this. Some say installing 2019 will automatically remove 2010 while preserving settings, etc. Some say you must first completely remove 2010 before installing 2019 and then you must completely reconfigure all the Office apps. Some say you must install 2019 before removing 2010 which would imply that you can have both running simultaneously, although I'm not quite sure how that would work. Perhaps this has to do with where you get the install package?

Of course, I will back everything up before proceeding with this exercise. Anyway, I would really appreciate some guidance here, especially from those who have some experience with the "gotchas".
      My Computer

2. Posts : 7,933
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

I've upgraded from Office 2010 several times. In all cases I uninstalled Office 2010 first then installed the newer version. I remember my personal letter templates were preserved but don't know about macros since I don't use them.
      My Computers

3. Posts : 2,223
    Windows 11 Pro 64-bit v23H2

You will be making a big jump in versions of Office so back up your computer before you start. I believe Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2019 stored their data differently so make sure you have a good backup of the Outlook 2010 data files.

If you uninstall Office before installing the new version, your Office files won't be deleted, but if your version of Office includes Outlook you may want to back up your Outlook data files. See Find and transfer Outlook data files from one computer to another.
    How do I upgrade Office?
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-385f65391350

Find and transfer Outlook data files from one computer to another
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...b-0d1892e2aacc
      My Computers

4. Posts : 51
    Windows 10 Pro

Thanks for the input. I'm wanting to do this with the least amount of pain which will primarily come from Outlook. MS says that Office 2010 and 2019 can run side by side which means I wouldn't necessarily have to uninstall 2010 first, but I have no reason to to run both. So it probably makes sense to uninstall 2010 first. I remember reading somewhere about an MS Office Uninstall Tool, but don't remember where??

After uninstalling 2010 and installing 2019 (I may just go directly to 2021) I will need to configure Outlook with my existing .pst file which has all my email accounts, calendars, rules, address books, etc.

I just installed 2021 on my daughter's laptop and it looks like you have to enter an email address, pick advanced options to configure manually and go from there which might mean having to configure at lease one account first (which, of course is in the existing pst file). Is there a way to run Outlook initially with my existing pst file?

- - - Updated - - -

I do have custom styles and templates for Word. How do I get those moved over? The ones that are only part of a document will automatically be there when the doc is opened in 2019 word, but the new and changed ones will be deleted with the 2010 uninstall. I believe they are stored in normal.dotm but I don't think I want to replace the 2019 word normal.dotm with the old 2010 normal.dotm.
      My Computer

5. Posts : 834
    Windows 10 Pro

"Is there a way to run Outlook initially with my existing pst file"

You can configure Outlook files and accounts via the Control Panel Applet "MAIL" before you fire up Outlook for the first time.
      My Computer