Outlook 2016 doesn't recognize RECURRING reminders only.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. mlg
    Win 10 Prof

Outlook 2016 doesn't recognize RECURRING reminders only.

Windows 10 version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.2364
    Outlook 2016 MSO (Version 2211 Build 16.0.15831.20098) 32-bit

I gradually noticed I was receiving some reminders and not others. Then I noticed the Reminder Window wasn't popping up and I'd missed several reminders. All my reminders are entered into the Outlook Calendar as appointments. I have reminders set to activate four days before the event. I've been running this setup for a few years with no serious problems.

I made sure reminders were enabled, I checked the reminder settings in the registry, made sure the data files were pointing correctly etc. No luck and nothing weird that I could find. Finally I found a consistent pattern:

If I enter an appointment as a one time event - AND I do not open the Recurrence sub-window, all is well. The appt. shows up with the bell symbol and within a second or two the Reminder Windows pops up over part of the calendar, rings the bell and shows the appt. I just entered. But if I enter a recurrence by date, by number of events or until a certain date in the future, the reminder symbol and the recurrence symbol are entered onto the calendar, but no bell and no entry to the Reminders Window is made. This happens even if I open the Recurrence sub-window and close it again without making an entry.

The only thing I remember that happened recently is that Samsung Magician notified me every time I booted up (which is not that often), that it was unable to run Rapid Mode. I found an update, uninstalled the old version and installed the updated one. Problem fixed. I checked the temps and SMART reports which were fine. My Outlook data files, .pst, run on a Seagate hard drive but it hasn't shown any problems. There may also have been a Windows 10 update which seemed to run smoothly.

I've backed up my .pst files to Google Drive just in case this is the beginning of something else. Would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to something to check and/or which file(s) to check or reinstall. Does this odd behavior suggest that my .pst file is corrupted? Or?

Thanks.
      My Computer

2. Posts : 824
    Windows 10 Pro

Have you tried scanning the PST for errors?
      My Computer

3. mlg
    Win 10 Prof

Hearsepilot said:
    Have you tried scanning the PST for errors?
    I did run it but I'm overwhelmed by the data collected in the log and have no idea what to make of it. Here are examples each of which has 25 plus entries just like them.
    ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (7D2EABE)
    ??BBT entry (7D3D91C) has different refcount in RBT (6 vs 2)
    **Attempting to validate header NID high-water marks
    **Attempting to walk all folders
    ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (7D2EABE)
    !!Contents Table for 8082, row doesn't match sub-object:
    irow = 1005, RowID = 99F7E4
    Failed to add row to the FLT, irow = 877, RowID = 710744
    **Attempting to locate any orphaned folders/messages

**Performing final HMP validation
    **Attempting to check top-level objects for consistency
    ??Deleting SDO
    **Updating folder hierarchy
    **Attempting to fix original file
    **Attempting to copy back BBT
    **Attempting to copy back NBT

And then the log just ended! I truly can't understand these entries although they do indicate a mess!
    Before installing Office 2016 I was initially running Office 2010 on this machine until it was no longer supported. Might this explain why nothing is as the scan expects it to be? And - what should I do now?
    Thanks again.
      My Computer

4. Posts : 824
    Windows 10 Pro

It looks like this is where your problem lies, hit the repair button and see whatthe reults are. As far as i know the PST compatabilty changed with Office 2021, it can read older PST's but converts them and theyr'e not backward compatible.
      My Computer

5. mlg
    Win 10 Prof

Thanks. I did hit repair several times, rebooted etc. Then I thought I'd been running scanpst as Admin. I know there are some ownership problems ... so I tried running scanpst regularly, not as Admin. After several run throughs pretty much all errors were corrected. But the message came up saying I could choose to hit repair to fix the few that are left. At this moment the message redraws itself on screen and there is no repair button - my only option is OK - tried it many times..
    Outlook 2016 doesn't recognize RECURRING reminders only.-repair-goes-blank.jpg

This would be ok if the calendar reminders were functioning, but that problem remains.
    Thoughts - and thanks again.
      My Computer

6. Posts : 17,033
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170

mlg said:
    I know there are some ownership problems
    Please explain.

If you cannot resolve matters then you can always create a replacement pst file, drag all your required folders into the new one & set the new one as the pst that Outlook opens upon starting.

All the best,
    Denis
      My Computer

7. mlg
    Win 10 Prof

This computer was made to order by Puget Systems about 5 years ago. When I received it Puget, in fully testing it, made Puget Administrators the owners of Windows 10 and a few other programs and files they installed. They were also the Administrator. I was in a frustrated fury. I didn't want to ship the whole computer from NYS to Washington State and demanded that I get tech support to change ownership to me. The tech support I received was inadequate to the task, as was my understanding of what I was trying to do and whether it was wise. I was eventually taught how to go into file security, change ownership, give myself permissions and haven't had many problems in the past 2-3 years. But this issue may be one of them...
    File permissions for the pst files which are on a drive different from the Outlook Program itself:
    Outlook 2016 doesn't recognize RECURRING reminders only.-ownership-pst-file-drive-d.jpgOutlook 2016 doesn't recognize RECURRING reminders only.-security-pst-file-drive-d.jpg

Here are the same file permissions for the Outlook.Exe program on Drive C. I note I am not the owner although I have permissions.
    Outlook 2016 doesn't recognize RECURRING reminders only.-outlook-exe-advanced-security-drive-c.jpgOutlook 2016 doesn't recognize RECURRING reminders only.-outlook-exe-advanced-security-settings-drive-c.jpg
    Might I be able to repair by making myself the owner of Outlook.Exe?
    I do recognize this is a mess but I haven't known how to fully clean it up.
      My Computer

8. Posts : 17,033
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170

mlg said:
    This computer was made to order by Puget Systems about 5 years ago. When I received it Puget, in fully testing it, made Puget Administrators the owners of Windows 10 and a few other programs and files they installed. They were also the Administrator. I was in a frustrated fury. I didn't want to ship the whole computer from NYS to Washington State and demanded that I get tech support to change ownership to me. The tech support I received was inadequate to the task, as was my understanding of what I was trying to do and whether it was wise. I was eventually taught how to go into file security, change ownership, give myself permissions and haven't had many problems in the past 2-3 years. But this issue may be one of them...
    You are misinterpreting things.
    - Puget-164635 is merely the name of the computer. It does not mean anything and you can change it to anything you want [as long as you also then adjust the network targets on your other networked computers].
    - Your diagrams are perfectly normal - they name user groups and accounts in the form ComputerName\UserName If your computer was called Fred then you'd see Fred\Madeline and so on.
    - There does not appear to be anything wrong with your permissions. Do not change them.
    - When they "taught how to go into file security, change ownership, give myself permissions" they were almost certainly trying to get rid of you.
    There has been nothing in this thread to indicate that there are any permissions aspects of your fault. That's why I asked for clarification of your last comment.

If I were you I would
    1 Repair MSOffice - I thought you'd said you had done this but I cannot find that comment at the moment - Repair an Office application - MSSupport
    2 Replace the pst file:-
    2.1 Build a new one
    Try3 said:
    If you cannot resolve matters then you can always create a replacement pst file, drag all your required folders into the new one & set the new one as the pst that Outlook opens upon starting.
    or
    2.2 Restore an old one from before the problem started and then use a backup copy of the current one to drag & drop into the restored one to get its contents up to date.

All the best,
    Denis
      My Computer

9. mlg
    Win 10 Prof

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I wish they'd "gotten rid of me" by teaching me that Puget was simply the name of the computer and did not prevent me from having control of my own computer - which is what I naively thought.

I repaired each of the .pst files (I actually have 5 email accounts). Initially I did so by running scanpst as an Admin. That got rid of some of the problems. Now I've run a repair on each .pst files, once as an Admin and once (several runs) as a user. 99.??? of the errors have been fixed after doing this. I now understand, if I'm right, this had to be done because I changed some ownerships and not others.

I didn't do a repair of the Office or Outlook application. But I think it's working! I just entered an appt and set the reminder. A few seconds later the appt. was listed in my Reminders Window. I also saw that something else I'd entered quite a while ago was coming due and it too was in the Reminders Window. I think it's fixed! And if so, am I correct there's no need to run a repair on the application?

Now that I understand I've made myself the owner of some applications and many files unnecessarily, I feel much better. I'm wondering if there is a strong reason to go back and try to undo the changes I've made? Or, now that I know, leave it alone and "if it ain't broke".... Would appreciate your thoughts.
    Thank you again for recognizing what I didn't understand.
      My Computer

10. Posts : 824
    Windows 10 Pro

mlg said:
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! I wish they'd "gotten rid of me" by teaching me that Puget was simply the name of the computer and did not prevent me from having control of my own computer - which is what I naively thought.

I repaired each of the .pst files (I actually have 5 email accounts). Initially I did so by running scanpst as an Admin. That got rid of some of the problems. Now I've run a repair on each .pst files, once as an Admin and once (several runs) as a user. 99.??? of the errors have been fixed after doing this. I now understand, if I'm right, this had to be done because I changed some ownerships and not others.

I didn't do a repair of the Office or Outlook application. But I think it's working! I just entered an appt and set the reminder. A few seconds later the appt. was listed in my Reminders Window. I also saw that something else I'd entered quite a while ago was coming due and it too was in the Reminders Window. I think it's fixed! And if so, am I correct there's no need to run a repair on the application?

Now that I understand I've made myself the owner of some applications and many files unnecessarily, I feel much better. I'm wondering if there is a strong reason to go back and try to undo the changes I've made? Or, now that I know, leave it alone and "if it ain't broke".... Would appreciate your thoughts.
    Thank you again for recognizing what I didn't understand.
    I think the best advise anyone could give you if its working don't fix it.

Note what you have done so far and if you have any weird issues then roll back the changes, until then, step away from the computer lol
      My Computer