MS Outlook 2016 Pro Plus not set as default email app

1. Posts : 5
    Windows 11

I would be grateful for anyone who can help me with a niggling problem with Outlook 2016 running on Windows 11 V.21H (upto date) - both softwares are properly licensed etc.
    Problem: Until recently I could click File Explorer and be able to MailTo (send) a document to a recipient and Outlook could do this automatically no problem. Now I get a message that states 'there is either there is no default email program or the program cannot deal with this request'. I have ensured that Outlook is the default app for email processes but this does not cure the problem. I have carried out a local repair but again no difference.
    In desperation I downloaded eM Client and this deals with the MailTo request without a problem.
    I am not a techie by any means so I would be grateful for any tips/guidance.
    Peter Brooke
      My Computer

2. Posts : 17,034
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170

pbrooke56 said:
    I have carried out a local repair
    Peter,

Do you mean you did a Windows repair or an Office repair?
    Repair Install - TenForumsTutorials
    Repair an Office application - MSSupport
    I'd expect the Office repair to be the appropriate one judging by your success with eMClient.

Denis
      My Computer

3. Posts : 5
    Windows 11

It was a local repair of Office 2016...
    Peter
      My Computer

4. Posts : 829
    Windows 10 Pro

Have you visited Settings > Apps >Default apps
      My Computer

5. Posts : 5
    Windows 11

Hi thanks for reply- yes I have set Outlook as default on all of its file types: eml etc. Makes no difference unfortunately...
    Peter
      My Computer

6. Posts : 17,034

Peter,

I wonder if the problem would go away if you uninstalled eMClient so forcing Windows to adjust itself again and hopefully overwrite whatever the cause of the problem was.

It would do no harm to run SFC but, given that eMClient worked alright, there's no particular reason to expect it to help.
    SFC-DISM - TenForumsTutorials

Best of luck,
    Denis
      My Computer

7. NMI
    Windows 11 Pro, Version 22H2

pbrooke56 said:
    Hi thanks for reply- yes I have set Outlook as default on all of its file types: eml etc. Makes no difference unfortunately...
    Peter
    Near the bottom of Settings, Apps, Default apps click on Choose defaults by link type and modify the setting for MAILTO.
      My Computer

8. Posts : 5
    Windows 11

Success!

Many thanks Try3 and NMI - I uninstalled eM Client and lo and behold! - Outlook 2016 now dealing with MAILTO requests as it should!
    Many thanks again,
    Peter
      My Computer

9. Posts : 17,034

That's good to hear.

I'm sorry if this post interrupted your system image making.
    my ditty - File backup vs imaging, imaging utilities, backing up drivers [post #3] - TenForums

All the best,
    And thanks for the rep,
    Denis

Welcome to TenForums.

It's really worth making time to browse through the Tutorial index - there's a shortcut to it at the top of every page.
    - At the foot of the Tutorial index is a shortcut to download it as a spreadsheet.
    - I download a new copy each month.
    - By downloading it as a spreadsheet I can benefit from Excel's excellent filtering capabilities when I search for topics of interest.
    - Tutorials are also listed by category at Tutorials - there's also a shortcut to that at the top of every page.
    - Both tutorial lists are searchable.
    - You can also search for TenForumsTutorials in many general search engines, such as Google, by adding site:tenforums.com/tutorials after your search term. For example,
    taskbar toolbars site:tenforums.com/tutorials

You can search TenForums using the search box in the top-right corner of all TenForums webpages or using Advanced Search - TenForums
    - You can also search TenForums threads in many general search engines, such as Google, by adding site:tenforums.com after your search term. For example,
    Search for drivers by HardwareID site:tenforums.com
    - [This is what the search box in the top-right corner of TenForums webpages does automatically]
      My Computer