No method to disable Outlook 365 metered connection warning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

1. Posts : 1,807
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1348

Try3 said:
    In 2016, Eric4078 claimed to solve the problem in
    [SOLVED] Outlook 2013 Giving a Metered Connection Warning in Windows 7? - Spiceworks
    Rename C:\windows\syswow64\mapisvc.inf to mapisvc.inf.bak
    Perhaps it is still useful.

I found another claim about the same fix in [SOLVED] Outlook 2013 and Metered Connection Warning | Tech Support That was in 2013 & I only mention it as encourgement that it is worth looking into.

Denis

Thanks Denis, that looks like something different to try. I'll give those solutions a whirl and report back.
      My Computer

2. Posts : 1,807

Thanks for that suggestion Denis but that didn't work for my pc. The file mapisvc.inf was located elsewhere and after renaming to mapisvc.inf.bak and restart Outlook followed by a reboot didn't bring any joy.

That is certainly the type of solution I'm looking for though. Somewhere somehow Outlook must poll the current connection DefaultMediaCost and determine it's set to metered (2).
    Last edited by W10 Tweaker; 17 Aug 2020 at 07:55.
      My Computer

3. Posts : 17,034
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170

OK. Best of luck with this.

I looked through all my notes and that was the only potentially-viable solution I had found. I looked into this about four years ago when I spent a year trying out Office 2016 before upgrading back to Office 2007.

Denis
      My Computer

4. Posts : 1,807

Try3 said:
    OK. Best of luck with this.

I looked through all my notes and that was the only potentially-viable solution I had found. I looked into this about four years ago when I spent a year trying out Office 2016 before upgrading back to Office 2007.

Denis

Thanks for the encouragement. I found a bunch of your posts from 2016 and chased all those ideas as well. I'm astonished that this hasn't yet been solved by many before me.

Setting my connections to metered was just for extra security so that I don't receive massive downloads from MS. I believe I have WUP disabled using Matthew's fix and may have to remove the extra security of setting connections to metered, unless I find a solution for this.

Still searching...
      My Computer

5. Posts : 17,034
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170

I still have my connections set as metered but I think my main protection comes from castrating USOClient [WU thread, post #4 by ,TairikuOkami].

I also automatically check that USOClient remains unusable at every reboot.

Denis
      My Computer

6. Posts : 1,807

Try3 said:
    I still have my connections set as metered but I think my main protection comes from castrating USOClient [WU thread, post #4 by ,TairikuOkami].

I also automatically check that USOClient remains unusable at every reboot.

Denis

Thanks again, I've recorded the cmd info to disable the USOClient and url data for future reference. I'm still searching for the Outlook solution online, with Everything explorer and regedit.
      My Computer

7. Posts : 14,136
    Win10 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro and Home, Win7, Linux Mint

I've been casually following this and went back to the first post and this sentence:
    It's great to finally have all my email services in 1 location and Outlook 365 has some great features but... every time I reboot I get a metered connection warning and require a 'connect anyway' response.
    That suggests to me it is a Windows Networking issue and involves the service subscribed to with the ISP being used. I'd also wonder if Outlook is set to automatically open at the reboot/restart. Spoiler, I may have missed something in that thinking.
      My Computers

8. Posts : 1,807

Berton said:
    I've been casually following this and went back to the first post and this sentence:.....
    That suggests to me it is a Windows Networking issue and involves the service subscribed to with the ISP being used.

Yes, it most definitely is related to my ISP. About 11 years ago I decided I was finished with the hustle and bustle of city life and moved to the country. Life out here is awesome except for 2 features, chewing insects from March till October and crappy/expensive internet.

MS caught be once with a surprise FU before I locked down WUP. That could be feature update.

Berton said:
    I'd also wonder if Outlook is set to automatically open at the reboot/restart. Spoiler, I may have missed something in that thinking.

I confirmed Outlook has nothing listed on the 'Startup' tab. Thanks for the input.
      My Computer