MS Teams: Force default notification settings for everyone

1. Posts : 43
    Windows 10 Pro Insider

MS Teams: Force default notification settings for everyone

Hey all.

So, here at the company we started to use Teams much more proactively since the pandemic stuff. However, because we're still only beginning with it, our usage of it's functions is still quite limited. With that said, it seems to us that Teams itself is rather limited in it's options and settings. We've just created a Team for all-around use with everyone in it, and some channels for company wide announcements (smaller teams are coming).

Now the thing is, when creating the Team, the default notification setting for the channels is set to Personnalized/Disabled. What we want is to have the important announcement channels to be set to receive all always for everyone.
    What we would like to do is have some way of changing this setting for everyone in the company without us having to go on every single computer and changing it manually for everyone, especially considering that there is always at least half the company working remotely.

So, is there a way, by GPO or admin panel or something to forcibly change channel notification settings to receive the notifications instead of it being disabled, for everyone / every account, for specific channels (and icing on the cake if they can't disable it).

Thanks
      My Computers

2. Posts : 30,710
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)

I'm not an Admin, just user, so not familiar with setting up general settings.

.. but turning on all notifications could be very annoying - you can never know how active would some users be.

If you want to make an announcement, you already have a tool - mentions.

MS Teams: Force default notification settings for everyone-image.png
      My Computers

3. Posts : 43
    Windows 10 Pro Insider

We know about mentions obviously, it's kinda standard now in any chat app.

The goal was not to turn all notifications on, just specific channels which are dedicated to announcements. Unfortunately, it seems Teams is not as granular as expected. Notification settings seem to be 100% on the user side of things, with no control possible from the admin side. What we wanted to do was a way to change default user settings if possible.

This effectively means that @Mentions are the only way to notify an entire team in a channel without having literally everyone change the defaults.

Oh well. Not that big of a deal but still.
      My Computers

4. Posts : 30,710
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)

fenrir0wulf said:
    We know about mentions obviously, it's kinda standard now in any chat app.

The goal was not to turn all notifications on, just specific channels which are dedicated to announcements. Unfortunately, it seems Teams is not as granular as expected. Notification settings seem to be 100% on the user side of things, with no control possible from the admin side. What we wanted to do was a way to change default user settings if possible.

This effectively means that @Mentions are the only way to notify an entire team in a channel without having literally everyone change the defaults.

Oh well. Not that big of a deal but still.
    Mentions, and don't forget about scheduled meetings announcements. Invitations are going directly to user's email.

Will try to check with Teams free, if I can set anything on MS's side. Don't dare to check this on my business channels
      My Computers