Using "Microsoft Office 2000" with Windows 10 Home, on an HP Pavilion

1. Posts : 1
    Windows 10 Home

Using "Microsoft Office 2000" with Windows 10 Home, on an HP Pavilion

Hello -
    I have an HP Pavilion 64 bit operating system) with Windows 10 Home edition (OS build 17763.973 / Version 1809). The trial version of MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc. that came installed has ended.
    Is it possible to remove the MS Office trial version, and then install the older MS Office 2000 Professional (Academic Edition) from the 2-CD set that I still have? (There's no version number, just something that says it was designed for Windows NT & 98). I paid good money for the MS Office 2000 many years ago, so hopefully it can still be used instead of constantly paying a reoccurring fee.

Thanks for your time with this!
    Wm
      My Computer

2. Posts : 31,674
    10 Home x64 (22H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

Welcome to Ten Forums @Williamz

Yes, I have successfully installed Office 2000 in Windows 10. You may find this interesting....

A look at running older versions of Microsoft Office on Windows 10

But if you'd like something more modern, then have a look at LibreOffice. There's a Portable Apps version you can try without installing.

Portable versions | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Fun Project - Fantastic People
      My Computers

3. Posts : 16,950
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170

Before you try installing Office 2k, remove the trial version or it can cause complications that are difficult to diagnose.
    Uninstall Office from a PC - OfficeSupport
    Manually uninstall Office, Apps - OfficeSupport

You'll probably also find advice about using Office 2000 in the Office section of TenForums because you are not the only one using it in Windows 10.

Best of luck,
    Denis
    [Still an Office 2007 user]
      My Computer

4. Posts : 14,022
    Win10 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro and Home, Win7, Linux Mint

Ditto, I have Office 2000 on a couple of Notebooks but did a Custom install, left out Outlook as not needed.
      My Computers

5. Posts : 7,905
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Note you can buy a cheap licence for Office 2016 / 2019 from eBay and Amazon quite cheaply. Check with the supplier first that the download link and key you are given will work with a genuine Microsoft server.
      My Computers