Outlook 2019: Operation cannot be performed because the message...

1. Posts : 5

Outlook 2019: Operation cannot be performed because the message...

I'm using Outlook 2019 with Gmail via IMAP. When I open a message, click on Move and then select the folder I want to move to, I receive the message "The operation cannot be performed because the message has been changed". I didn't change the message in any way that I'm aware of, such as downloading pictures.

If I close the message, and attempt to move it from the list of messages, it usually moves just fine, although sometimes I get the same error.

Any ideas?
      My Computer

2. Posts : 5,899
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 22H2

FYI, I too get that error sometimes, but once I close the email or click off it and back on to move the issue is gone and the mail is moved without further issue. Why this happens I've not figured out, but it might be a timing issue where you click on the email and not give it time to do whatever is happening in the background. My guess.

Anyway the issue is such a rare occurrence as not to be bothersome especially now that I know what to do to "solve" it. But yeah, every once in a while that happens to me as well, especially when deleting a lot of emails.

BTW I run Office 365 with Outlook local to the PC, and I also have Gmail attached to it. I've not noticed the issue with Gmail though. I have 4 email accounts attached to Outlook to include 3 IMAP and one Microsoft Exchange account.

Just FYI, as I really don't have a suggested "fix" for your issue. Sorry.
      My Computers

3. Posts : 5

I appreciate your comment. If it wasn't happening on every opened message I try to move to a folder I would be fine with it. Frustrating!
      My Computer

4. Posts : 5,899
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 22H2

MidwestSteve said:
    I appreciate your comment. If it wasn't happening on every opened message I try to move to a folder I would be fine with it. Frustrating!
    If it's happening like you say, you may have something else going on. Have you checked your email account settings? Specifically the incoming / outgoing server settings?
      My Computers

5. Posts : 11,246
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux

MidwestSteve said:
    Hi folks
    I think with IMAP the folders are stored on the (remote) email server so you need to COPY the folders.
    If you want to delete email from the server just delete.

Some email servers may allow you to create extra folders on the server but I think you'll find that standard ones like the inbox can't be deleted. For example sub folders with the inbox so you can split your email up into manageable "chunks" with sub folders -- these should be deletable of course.

Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

6. Posts : 5,899
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 22H2

jimbo45 said:
    I think with IMAP the folders are stored on the (remote) email server so you need to COPY the folders.

If you want to delete email from the server just delete.
    Huh

Sorry you lost me here.
      My Computers

7. Posts : 10
    win 10

I often have the issue when replying to an email. I add text and send gives me the cannot send since changed message.

From lots of research it appears to be because the IMAP server hasn't yet updated for the new added message. If you open another email it perhaps forces an update to the IMAP server for the email you just closed. You can save in draft reopen and it sends ok.

I am a but confused by this but it seems to work also for others in other forums trying to move a message to a different folder.
      My Computer

8. Posts : 11,246
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux

MidwestSteve said:
    I'm using Outlook 2019 with Gmail via IMAP. When I open a message, click on Move and then select the folder I want to move to, I receive the message "The operation cannot be performed because the message has been changed". I didn't change the message in any way that I'm aware of, such as downloading pictures.

If I close the message, and attempt to move it from the list of messages, it usually moves just fine, although sometimes I get the same error.

Any ideas?
    Hi there
    sometimes COPY then DELETE works -- I know a 2 stage process but it's an easy get around until other problem is fixed.

Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

9. Posts : 1
    Win 10

Simple solution worked for me: delete email message, move to inbox

What worked for me was to:
    1. Delete email message
    2. Go to Trash folder and move deleted message to Inbox

Ridiculous, I know, but it just worked.
      My Computer