Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    18 Jul 2016 #1
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    California, USA
    Posts : 137
    Windows 10 Pro

    Installing 2nd copy of Win 10 into free space on hard drive


    Actually it's an SSD.

    How can I be positively sure that I'm doing a fresh install of Win 10 into free space on my SSD, and not wipe out an existing Win 10 install. I want to have two copies of Win 10 on my system.

    I have an unused Win 8.1 license so I wnat to install a second copy of Win 10 on my system. I have cleared out free space. I started the install process, but I stopped right away. I want to be absolutely, positively, 100% sure that I would do the install into that free space and not wipe out my existing Win 10 install.

    With Win 7, I could tell the installer where I wanted the installer to put the new Windows partition. Can I do the same with Windows 10?
    Last edited by x509; 18 Jul 2016 at 19:53. Reason: fixed typos
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    18 Jul 2016 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,146
    Windows 10 Pro

    Format the free space as an NTFS partition. Boot from the Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD. Select the custom install option. Point the Windows installer to the blank NTFS partition you made and click next to install to that partition. It will set up dual booting for you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    19 Jul 2016 #3
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Philadelphia
    Posts : 1,172
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    I also highly recommend labeling your partitions, too. It always helps me keep track, in the event letters change due to the boot process.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    19 Jul 2016 #4
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Space coast of Florida
    Posts : 5,251
    Windows 10 Pro X64 15063.483

    2nd that. Mine are labeled:

    Lenovo Desktop: Lenovo_C, Lenovo_D, Lenovo_E, etc.
    Laptop: Laptop_C, Laptop_D
    Web server: HP_C, HP_D, HP_E, etc.

    Never in doubt this way.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    19 Jul 2016 #5
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,398
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Format the free space as an NTFS partition. Boot from the Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD. Select the custom install option. Point the Windows installer to the blank NTFS partition you made and click next to install to that partition. It will set up dual booting for you.
    If pc was upgraded to windows 10 originally, op will have a digital licence in which case the second version will activate automatically and OP will not need to enter the key (but strictly may not comply with EULA).

    Reading between lines, OP wants to upgrade an 8.1 key before end of free period, and if that is the reason, this may not have the desired effect.

    OP could enter the 8.1 key in the second instance but as far as I know, you do not get a second digital licence?

    If original install of windows 10 was product key based, then entering 8.1 key would would create a digital licence.

    We need clarity on

    1) how windows 10 was installed originally?

    2) why OP is trying to dual boot?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    19 Jul 2016 #6
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 266
    Windows 10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    If pc was upgraded to windows 10 originally, op will have a digital licence in which case the second version will activate automatically and OP will not need to enter the key (but strictly may not comply with EULA).

    Reading between lines, OP wants to upgrade an 8.1 key before end of free period, and if that is the reason, this may not have the desired effect.

    OP could enter the 8.1 key in the second instance but as far as I know, you do not get a second digital licence?

    If original install of windows 10 was product key based, then entering 8.1 key would would create a digital licence.

    We need clarity on

    1) how windows 10 was installed originally?

    2) why OP is trying to dual boot?

    The only reason I can see using the Windows 8.1 key is if it were a retail key. Then you would be able to move the key (license) to a different computer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    19 Jul 2016 #7
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,398
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by TrustMe View Post
    The only reason I can see using the Windows 8.1 key is if it were a retail key. Then you would be able to move the key (license) to a different computer.
    Sure -that is probably why but if original 10 install is already an upgrade, using 8.1 key will not help as the pc will already have a digital licence unless the digital licence is also bound to the 8.1 key as well (which I have never heard of).

    People often think upgrading converts an old key to a 10 key. That is not how it works.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    20 Jul 2016 #8
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,146
    Windows 10 Pro

    Scenario:

    The OP had a computer with Windows 7/8/8.1 pre-installed from the factory. He upgraded that to Windows 10. Now the OP wants to install a second copy of Windows 10 for whatever reason he wants - it doesn't matter. He has an unused Windows 8.1 license/product key. Is the OP not entitled to run two upgrades to Windows 10? The first based on the license of the pre-installed Windows that came with the computer, and the second based on the license of the additional Windows 8.1 license/product key?

    Yes, both copies of Windows 10 on that computer will say "Activated with a digital entitlement." And yes, both copies of Windows 10 may very well be activated with the same digital entitlement. But that isn't the OP's problem or concern. Microsoft takes him to court and he shows the judge/jury the original Windows license that came with the computer and he shows them the second external license/product key. Two licenses for Windows = rights to have two copies of Windows installed.

    Remember, Microsoft considers a partition to be a separate device. The OP can have two devices running on the same computer. So, therefore, Microsoft is obligated to upgrade both of those devices for free to Windows 10 before July 29th. Partition 1 with the OEM Windows that came with the computer and partition 2 with the Windows from the external license/product key. If Microsoft did not make provisions for keeping those two digital entitlements for Windows 10 seperate from each other - that is not the OPs problem or concern.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    20 Jul 2016 #9
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,398
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Scenario:

    The OP had a computer with Windows 7/8/8.1 pre-installed from the factory. He upgraded that to Windows 10. Now the OP wants to install a second copy of Windows 10 for whatever reason he wants - it doesn't matter. He has an unused Windows 8.1 license/product key. Is the OP not entitled to run two upgrades to Windows 10? The first based on the license of the pre-installed Windows that came with the computer, and the second based on the license of the additional Windows 8.1 license/product key?

    Yes, both copies of Windows 10 on that computer will say "Activated with a digital entitlement." And yes, both copies of Windows 10 may very well be activated with the same digital entitlement. But that isn't the OP's problem or concern. Microsoft takes him to court and he shows the judge/jury the original Windows license that came with the computer and he shows them the second external license/product key. Two licenses for Windows = rights to have two copies of Windows installed.

    Remember, Microsoft considers a partition to be a separate device. The OP can have two devices running on the same computer. So, therefore, Microsoft is obligated to upgrade both of those devices for free to Windows 10 before July 29th. Partition 1 with the OEM Windows that came with the computer and partition 2 with the Windows from the external license/product key. If Microsoft did not make provisions for keeping those two digital entitlements for Windows 10 seperate from each other - that is not the OPs problem or concern.
    Sure assuming his intent was to do as above, but a lot of people think doing this "upgrades" the old key, giving a new W10 key which we know is not the case. Just seeking clarity on OP's intent.

    Of course, I could be wrong and you can get two digital licences - I bet that would confuse the new Redstone activation troubleshooter :-D!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    20 Jul 2016 #10
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,146
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    Sure assuming his intent was to do as above, but a lot of people think doing this "upgrades" the old key, giving a new W10 key which we know is not the case. Just seeking clarity on OP's intent.
    I can see your point. When the OP stated "I have an unused Windows 8.1 license," since he was specific enough to say unused I would assume he knows that a license for Windows 7/8/8.1 is "used" when it is upgraded to Windows 10 - for as long as the Windows 10 is installed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Running out of Hard Drive space
I have a HP Stream 11 laptop I bought from Walmart, it came with Windows 8.1 and I went through the charade of upgrading from 8.1 to 10 so it would validate they key and then I immediately did a clean install. Sadly with this laptop, it only has a...
Performance & Maintenance
Solved how to minimize shadow copy space?
Well, how can i shrink down the amount of space used for shadow copy?
Performance & Maintenance
Solved How to run a second copy of an app in separate memory space?
Deprecated - please delete
Software and Apps
How can I extend my hard drive space?
I'm going under Computer Management>Disk Management and have deleted a partition which gave me the unallocated 48gb, and I'm trying to add that unallocated space to the main drive (C), and it's not letting me, When I right the C drive there is only...
Drivers and Hardware
Hard disk suddenly shows a 100GB more free space
I've recently upgraded to windows 10 home version from windows 8.1 . My hard disk space before the upgrade was around 50GB. After the upgrade it was reduced to around 32 GB. I figured it was just because windows was storing some of the older files...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:48.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums