Two Win 10 in two part but one drive, want to remove old system part Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1

    Two Win 10 in two part but one drive, want to remove old system part


    Hello

    I have one SSD with two partitions with Windows 10 installation in each. The first partition was due to the old system (intel) and the new one is for the new system (amd).

    Here is my current configuration:

    F: old parition
    C: new partition

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	197855

    I have already set the C: as the default boot drive from MSCONFIG but F: is still marked as the active, primary, and system partition.

    Is there a way to move the active, primary, and system status to my C drive?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    #2

    You can make the partition active in disk management. Select the partition (as you have in picture above), right click and select "Mark partition as active"

    Then type bcdboot c:\windows from administrator command prompt to create system files.

    Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

    F will continue to be a primary partition but that is fine (mbr formatted disks have up to 4 primary partitions). Once you have rebooted and it looks fine you can if you want reformat F or just put other data on it.

    You could also (if you wanted) use MiniTool Partition Free to move C and recovery partitions to the left and put F directly before the unallocated space at the end. If you did that you could extend F to make use of this space. Alternatively you could just format this unallocated space for use as another partition.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    #3

    lx07 said: View Post
    You can make the partition active in disk management. Select the partition (as you have in picture above), right click and select "Mark partition as active"

    Then type bcdboot c:\windows from administrator command prompt to create system files.

    Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

    F will continue to be a primary partition but that is fine (mbr formatted disks have up to 4 primary partitions). Once you have rebooted and it looks fine you can if you want reformat F or just put other data on it.

    You could also (if you wanted) use MiniTool Partition Free to move C and recovery partitions to the left and put F directly before the unallocated space at the end. If you did that you could extend F to make use of this space. Alternatively you could just format this unallocated space for use as another partition.
    Hello

    Thanks for replying.

    I already had minitool wizard installed but cannot set the partition to active / system and I have already done the command bcdboot c:\windows before.

    Is it safe to mark the C: to primary partition and then mark as active, since an MBR formatted drive can have 4 as you said?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled2.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	197860

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	197859
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    #4

    You can not make c active as its not a primary partition its logical
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    #5

    sinoka56 said: View Post
    Is it safe to mark the C: to primary partition and then mark as active, since an MBR formatted drive can have 4 as you said
    Yes - you can convert it to primary with partition wizard (see here) and then set it active. As it is currently a logical partition you don't see the "Make active" on right click . The system files are there - it is just the active flag that defines what will boot and you can't set active on logical partition.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    #6

    lx07 said: View Post
    Yes - you can convert it to primary with partition wizard (see here) and then set it active. As it is currently a logical partition you don't see the "Make active" on right click . The system files are there - it is just the active flag that defines what will boot and you can't set active on logical partition.
    I changed the partition to primary and set as active, now it doesn't boot -.-

    Encountering missing operating system
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7.    #7

    sinoka56 said: View Post
    I changed the partition to primary and set as active, now it doesn't boot -.-

    Encountering missing operating system
    The command should have been:
    bcdboot C:\Windows /s C:
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    #8

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    The command should have been:
    bcdboot C:\Windows /s C:
    Not if the C was set active first. Perhaps it wasn't run again?

    BCDBoot copies the boot files to either the active partition on the primary hard drive, or the partition specified by the /s option.

    BCDBoot creates the BCD store in the same partition.
    BCDBoot Command-Line Options | Microsoft Docs

    sinoka56 said: View Post
    I changed the partition to primary and set as active, now it doesn't boot -.-
    Did you fix this yet? You can try the steps in solution 2 here from a command prompts in recovery or booting from external USB:

    Fix Operating System Not Found When Booting Windows 10 / 8 | Password Recovery

    Code:
    bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    bootrec.exe /fixboot
    bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    #9

    lx07 said: View Post
    Not if the C was set active first. Perhaps it wasn't run again?
    I used minitool wizard to set the parition to primary and then active then restarted the PC. I didn't run the command, didn't know it had to be executed again.

    lx07 said: View Post
    BCDBoot Command-Line Options | Microsoft Docs

    Did you fix this yet? You can try the steps in solution 2 here from a command prompts in recovery or booting from external USB:
    I connected the drive to another PC just to make the old parition active.
    Last edited by sinoka56; 31 Jul 2018 at 18:16.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    #10

    You can do the bcdboot command while the drive is connected to another PC. The Windows partition will get it's own drive letter. For example if it gets F: the command would be:

    F:\Windows\System32\bcdboot F:\Windows /s F: /f ALL

    Change all the F: above to whatever drive letter the windows partition gets assigned. Do not change the /f, that stands for "firmware" and ALL after it will set it up to boot UEFI and legacy BIOS, although it probably won't boot in UEFI since the Windows partition is NTFS formatted.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
I want to clear the partitions from a 1 tb backup drive I tried deleting the partitions by formatting them but it only removed the files in the partitions and the partitions are still there. see pic below How can I remove the 4 partitions so I...
So I used the Windows 10 installation media to put the Windows 10 installation files on a flash drive, and the installed Windows 10 onto my Samsung Series 7 Chronos laptop (it's old, it originally shipped with Windows 8; not 8.1, 8). After the...
Solved Dual Boot, what partitions can I remove? in Installation and Upgrade
I want to install Linux along side of Windows 10. This was a Forced Upgrade from windows 7, and I am somewhat clueless as to exactly what happens when windows 10 comes through like this? I don't know which partitions are left over from 7 and which...
Windows Partitions on Hard Drive in Drivers and Hardware
Can someone tell me what partitions I should have on my hard drive after I upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows Home Premium Build 10586. I have some new small partitions and I don't know if they belong to the OS or they got allocated from another...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:49.
Find Us