How do I disable the dedicated GPU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 151
    Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit
       #1

    How do I disable the dedicated GPU


    How do I disable the dedicated GPU on my notebook PC? It is an AMD GPU.

    I want to do this because it has broken. When I try to play even an old game such as Half-Life (the original one), my computer overheats then shuts down.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 12,429
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #2

    Sweetsweetcorn said:
    How do I disable the dedicated GPU on my notebook PC? It is an AMD GPU.
    I want to do this because it has broken. When I try to play even an old game such as Half-Life (the original one), my computer overheats then shuts down.
    Your My Computer data reveals nothing about the Notebook. Does the problem only occur with the games or with other programs? Have you yet or ever blown the dust out of the Notebook using a can of compressed air for the purpose? Do you have house pets? I've worked on enough machines to know that their fine hairs [seldom seen] can plug the fins the fan blows through.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 151
    Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Berton said:
    Your My Computer data reveals nothing about the Notebook. Does the problem only occur with the games or with other programs? Have you yet or ever blown the dust out of the Notebook using a can of compressed air for the purpose? Do you have house pets? I've worked on enough machines to know that their fine hairs [seldom seen] can plug the fins the fan blows through.
    I will update my "My Computer". Thanks.

    8GB DDR4 RAM.

    AMD Radeon 530 ("Topaz"), 1GB.

    The problem only happens with the games.

    "Have you yet or ever blown the dust out of the Notebook using a can of compressed air for the purpose? Do you have house pets?" No and no.

    This is what I did that broke my GPU.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 846
    Windows 10 LTSC
       #4

    It looks like your laptop needs cleaning from the inside and repasting of thermal compound.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 151
    Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit
    Thread Starter
       #5

    RoasterMen said:
    It looks like your laptop needs cleaning from the inside and repasting of thermal compound.
    In the meanwhile, please help me to learn how to disable the dedicated gpu?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,274
    Windows 10
       #6

    Sweetsweetcorn said:
    In the meanwhile, please help me to learn how to disable the dedicated gpu?
    so your laptop has an intel GPU at least so to fall back to that ?
    If not then you need to provide the laptop model so to make sure the dedicated gpu is not the only gpu you you have as usually amd release the gpu integrated into their cpu with no option for dual graphics .
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 151
    Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit
    Thread Starter
       #7

    nightmayor said:
    so your laptop has an intel gpu at least so to fall back to that ?
    If not then you need to provide the laptop model so to make sure the dedicated gpu is not the only gpu you you have as usually amd release the gpu integrated into their cpu with no option for dual graphics .
    amd apu.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 846
    Windows 10 LTSC
       #8

    Sweetsweetcorn said:
    In the meanwhile, please help me to learn how to disable the dedicated gpu?
    There is no way of completely disabling the dedicated GPU. You have to go to AMD Radeon Settings and head over to switchable graphics and set to "Power-Saving".
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 828
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit 21H2 19044.1706
       #9

    Sweetsweetcorn said:
    How do I disable the dedicated GPU on my notebook PC? It is an AMD GPU.

    .
    I had a high end HP laptop once with a dedicated Nvidia card which after 3 years started to go bad and I was able to 'Disable' it via the 'Device Manager'.

    Once I rebooted, the laptop used the integrated Intel chip which I think also showed up in Device Manager under 'Display adapters'.
    Last edited by Farvatten; 14 Jul 2020 at 10:16.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 151
    Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit
    Thread Starter
       #10

    Farvatten said:
    I had a high end HP laptop once with a dedicated Nvidia card which after 3 years started to go bad and I was able to 'Disable' it via the 'Device Manager'.

    Once I rebooted, the laptop used the integrated Intel chip which I think also showed up in Device Manager under 'Display adapters'.
    interesting
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums