Windows 10: HELP! No BIOS at bootup, PC only shows mobile display

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    04 Oct 2015 #1

    HELP! No BIOS at bootup, PC only shows mobile display


    These are my PC Specs:
    CPU: 5960X
    Mobo: ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME
    GPU: GTX 980
    RAM: 16GB 2800 XMP

    Strange behavior. I booted up my PC and not only did it not display the BIOS, but the post beep did not sound. I hear another beep normally, but I think that's related to an overclocking error when applying the XMP profile for my RAM. When my computer gets into Windows 10, my resolution is a 640x480 and it doesn't display my GPU, instead it displays a mobile PC display. How did this happen? I have a 27" monitor at 60 hz. It literally changed overnight, and I can't seem to find System Restore. I don't think I'm automatically booted into safe mode.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    04 Oct 2015 #2

    Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

    That's what is recommended if you can't get into the BIOS (really UEFI, I imagine) settings because fast boot was enabled.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    04 Oct 2015 #3

    bobkn said: View Post
    Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

    That's what is recommended if you can't get into the BIOS (really UEFI, I imagine) settings because fast boot was enabled.
    Can Fast Boot be disabled in Windows?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    04 Oct 2015 #4

    The Fast Boot that I'm thinking of is controlled by the BIOS settings. I guess that's likely to be the root of your problem.

    There's a hybrid boot in Windows, but I have not used it. (Saves some information to disk, as for hibernation.)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    05 Oct 2015 #5

    bobkn said: View Post
    The Fast Boot that I'm thinking of is controlled by the BIOS settings. I guess that's likely to be the root of your problem.

    There's a hybrid boot in Windows, but I have not used it. (Saves some information to disk, as for hibernation.)
    I Google it and turned off Fast Boot within Windows. That didn't work, now my computer won't work at all. CMOS battery reset my only option or should I take a stab at the Safe Mode button on my motherboard?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.   My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    05 Oct 2015 #7

    Is clearing the CMOS a major issue for you? The Rampage V Extreme has a button on the IO panel to do that. You don't even need to open the case.

    I know that it's possible that you're using a large number of custom settings with an advanced motherboard like that, but I hope that you have notes on what they are, just for this sort of contingency.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    05 Oct 2015 #8

    I read that this option is only available with a clean install of Windows 10, NOT an upgrade like I have. I checked into it, and I do not have this option, probably because my Windows 10 is an upgrade from Windows 7.

    On a similar note, I did download a full installation file of Windows 10. If I were to reformat and do a clean install, do I use the same key that is currently on my Windows 10 install or will it provide me with a different key? If I don't get an answer now, I'll ask again at a later time, as I plan on doing a clean install, anyway when I upgrade my hard drive in a few months.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    05 Oct 2015 #9

    JOSHSKORN said: View Post
    I read that this option is only available with a clean install of Windows 10, NOT an upgrade like I have. I checked into it, and I do not have this option, probably because my Windows 10 is an upgrade from Windows 7.

    On a similar note, I did download a full installation file of Windows 10. If I were to reformat and do a clean install, do I use the same key that is currently on my Windows 10 install or will it provide me with a different key? If I don't get an answer now, I'll ask again at a later time, as I plan on doing a clean install, anyway when I upgrade my hard drive in a few months.
    I upgraded from 8.1.1 and was able to format and install 10 numerous times. Just bypass entering a key and it will lead on through the installation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    05 Oct 2015 #10

    JOSHSKORN said: View Post
    I read that this option is only available with a clean install of Windows 10, NOT an upgrade like I have. I checked into it, and I do not have this option, probably because my Windows 10 is an upgrade from Windows 7.

    On a similar note, I did download a full installation file of Windows 10. If I were to reformat and do a clean install, do I use the same key that is currently on my Windows 10 install or will it provide me with a different key? If I don't get an answer now, I'll ask again at a later time, as I plan on doing a clean install, anyway when I upgrade my hard drive in a few months.
    The requirement is that the Windows 10 installation be a UEFI one. I imagine that if your Win 7 installation wasn't UEFI, then the upgrade also wouldn't be. (I'm not in a position to verify that at the moment.)

    The free Win 10 installation doesn't give you a unique key. If you install it as an upgrade and activate it, a hardware hash code is retained on Microsoft's activation servers. (That has basically been true since XP, I think.) The big change with Win 10 is that you can clean install and activate online if you do it on the same hardware. A new HD is probably OK. A new motherboard is certainly not. I expect that you could activate by phone if a new HD put you over the top as regards hardware changes.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Related Threads
    ** On every bootup of my Win 10 64-bit, I get the following "Information" event in Event Viewer, usually twice or more. By the way, I don't have any graphics card - so this relates to the Intel drivers/services for the graphics on my motherboard....
    Since upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1, I've seen the following message several times. Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered Display driver Intel HD Graphics Drivers for Windows 8(R) stopped responding and has successfully...
    Solved Bootup Takes Two Tries in General Support
    I have a strange anomaly with my HP Pavilion dv7-1245dx Entertainment Notebook that had Windows 8.1installed. When I started bootup, it got so far and froze up. I had to do a hard shutdown. On the second try, the laptop starts, but takes an...
    Hi, So I have a dual-monitor setup hooked up to my port replicator for my Dell E7240. I have my main monitor hooked up with a DVI cable and my second monitor hooked up with a DisplayPort (from the port replicator) to HDMI (on the monitor) cable....
    LG Display shows off press-on 'wallpaper' TV under 1mm thick - CNET It's a proof of concept that is a ways out, I hope in a few years. Time machine anyone? ;) Yea I know this isn't directly windows related even though it still applies. What...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    © Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:56.
    Find Us