Question? Have you installed Win 10 and use it everyday?

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
  1. gregrocker's Avatar
    Posts : 281
       #61

    Shrink your old OS and install 10 as a Dual Boot. I did this a week ago and haven't gone back yet.

    With Windows 8 and 8.1 I rarely spent more than a day and never went back.

    What has snagged me is the snappiness. With that I can ignore the ugly one-dimensional flatness and strange tablet apps in the Start menu. But I want my gadgets!
      My Computer

  2. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,363
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #62

    gregrocker said:
    Shrink your old OS and install 10 as a Dual Boot. I did this a week ago and haven't gone back yet.

    With Windows 8 and 8.1 I rarely spent more than a day and never went back.

    What has snagged me is the . With that I can ignore the ugly one-dimensional flatness and strange tablet apps in the Start menu. But I want my gadgets!
    Hope you have a veritable beast of a computer, only than you may see "snappiness" while loading up system with bunch of stuff running in the background all the time.
      My Computers

  3. gregrocker's Avatar
    Posts : 281
       #63

    Mike I follow a Clean Boot as laid out in my tutorials like Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7 - Windows 7 Help Forums. I don't let anything start with Windows except Windows services and AV, and AV is built into 10.

    Not sure what else would be running in a Dual Boot, as the other OS is completely inert.
      My Computer

  4. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,363
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #64

    gregrocker said:
    Mike I follow a Clean Boot as laid out in my tutorials like Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7 - Windows 7 Help Forums. I don't let anything start with Windows except Windows services and AV, and AV is built into 10.

    Not sure what else would be running in a Dual Boot, as the other OS is completely inert.
    Than you shouldn't lament loss of Gadgets, their use and use of clean boot contradict each other. Hopefully, there will be some Live Tiles to replace Gadgets as their goal is same.
    As for dual or multiple boots, other than active OS have no other influence but disk space.
      My Computers

  5. gregrocker's Avatar
    Posts : 281
       #65

    Yes, gadgets are a negligible exception. Supposedly they need to be hardened against infection but I've never seen a case of it.
      My Computer

  6. jadinolf's Avatar
    Posts : 7,273
    Windows 10 Home
       #66

    Dual booting here also.

    No more computers for me.
      My Computer

  7. lehnerus2000's Avatar
    Posts : 1,809
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 19.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home 1703 (64 bit), W10 Pro 1703 (64 bit) VM
       #67

    Rainmeter?


    gregrocker said:
    Yes, gadgets are a negligible exception. Supposedly they need to be hardened against infection but I've never seen a case of it.
    Strange how that wasn't an issue until people started complaining that Gadgets weren't included in W8.

    Try creating your own Rainmeter skin (or download a pre-built one).
    Below are a couple of basic skins I built for W7.

    First Skin
    Question? Have you installed Win 10 and use it everyday?-rm_dials.png

    Current Skin
    Question? Have you installed Win 10 and use it everyday?-rm_krell.png
      My Computer

  8. Layback Bear's Avatar
    Posts : 983
    Windows 7/64 Professional
       #68
      My Computers

  9. badrobot's Avatar
    Posts : 5,258
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #69

    lehnerus2000 said:
    gregrocker said:
    Yes, gadgets are a negligible exception. Supposedly they need to be hardened against infection but I've never seen a case of it.
    Strange how that wasn't an issue until people started complaining that Gadgets weren't included in W8.

    Try creating your own Rainmeter skin (or download a pre-built one).
    Below are a couple of basic skins I built for W7.

    First Skin
    Question? Have you installed Win 10 and use it everyday?-rm_dials.png

    Current Skin
    Question? Have you installed Win 10 and use it everyday?-rm_krell.png
    Never used them (gadgets) when they were still available. To me they are just security risk, system hogger and resource eater.

    Those info are just a right-click away (Task Manager) if you are really watching your system performance.

    I am not inviting an argument. Using them (or not using them) is a personal preference.
      My Computer

  10. Trust_No1's Avatar
    Posts : 630
       #70

    You don't have to test drive a car for a year


    DRFP said:
    I made a mistake, I'm a beta tester since the old days, I asked on another forum ( OMG I was accused of not knowing anything because I called the preview beta and not Alpha ect... and even accused of not really beta testing MS OS in the past my history : IE3 beta, XP Beta, Win 7 Beta (did not beta Vista) )

    "Why would you install the technical preview ( windows 10) for a couple hours or so and think you have tested it?" Why not use it everyday? Stress the OS to find bugs?

    I was told:
    "You do not put the OS on a main system you use everyday" "You may or will lose all your data"

    WOW when I test an OS I use it everyday and report back to MS. I'm not worry about losing data since its all backed up, even my browser (Fire Fox)

    I do have a Laptop with Win 7 on it I can use its older and dual core not bad.

    But Win 10 deserves i5 and a non touch and touch screen computer, our touchscreen laptop is an i3

    Yes read about Key Logger, but not worried about it all.

    I don't have to test drive a car for a year to tell if I like it or not.

    I have Win 10 as dual boot on my desktop and laptop. I leave them on there just to check for updates. I also, use Media Center daily, and Windows 10 doesn't have that, so it makes no sense to use it.

    I am also a gamer, there is no way I am going to put in 200+ hours into a game just to have it crash, if they make a change. That is just foolish.

    Plus, I just don't like the new interface, it is just that simple. There are some things that are improved, but overall I am inclined to believe it is a step backwards. At least at this point. I am of the philosophy that people wanted Windows 8.1 with a Windows 7 menu, IMHO, and that is not close to what we have here.

    I feel the question begs to make a moot point.
      My Computer


 
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums