Trying to play and edit DVD Videos in VOB format (Win10)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. winxp's Avatar
    Posts : 115
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #11

    Just figured it out.
    MY Microsoft Store App died or went some place.
    I had to clear everything and reinstall the MS Shop app and now I can update all my apps.

    Anyway until I find something better to view video I will stay will stay with VLC Media player.
      My Computer

  2. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,708
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #12

    winxp said:
    I had to clear everything and reinstall the MS Shop app and now I can update all my apps.
    Anyway until I find something better to view video I will stay will stay with VLC Media player.
    With the Store now working properly you could try installing the MPEG-2 Video Extension again and see if it enables your Adobe Premiere Elements 2020 to edit them.
      My Computers

  3. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,484
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #13

    Hi there
    KODI will play almost every known format on the planet -- install leia (V 18) on Windows --- it also will play DVD iso's direct from .iso with menus and you can dynamically retrieve subtitles via opensubtitles.org or any other subtitle provider if you want.

    Note - to play commercial DVD's they will need to be de-crypted -- Software like AnyDVD can copy a commercial DVD to an un-encrypted iso which will play just fine -- I copied all my DVD's to plain iso's a long time ago -- saves keeping loads of physical media around. I play these remotely on a TV via a KODI client installed on an amazon fire tv box.

    AnyDVD isn't free software but it's great for archiving any commercial DVD's you might have and will play them (menu's and all) just like a physical one -- no need to convert to mp4 / mkv etc. KODI also will play vob's etc.

    Kodi installs easily on Windows, Linux, Android --might even be available on i-phones etc --don't know about that though.

    For editing of course you'll need some sort of video editor.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  4. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,708
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #14

    For editing of course you'll need some sort of video editor.
    Isn't that what the OP's Adobe Premiere Elements 2020 is for?
      My Computers

  5. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,484
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #15

    Bree said:
    Isn't that what the OP's Adobe Premiere Elements 2020 is for?
    Hi there
    I assumed that was still working -- I thought the OP's problem was doing anything with the VOB's / Iso's afterwards --e.g playing them !!!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  6. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,708
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #16

    I'd read the first post as not being able to play or edit the VOB in Premiere Elements, hopefully the MPEG-2 codec should make that possible.
      My Computers

  7. winxp's Avatar
    Posts : 115
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #17

    Bree said:
    I'd read the first post as not being able to play or edit the VOB in Premiere Elements, hopefully the MPEG-2 codec should make that possible.
    I had a 30 day demo version of Premiere Elements 2020 installed to see if that was the one I wanted to buy.
    May have been an issue being the limits of the demo version.
    Will start another thread asking the question about what most use for Video Editing and Rendering.
    Thanks
      My Computer

  8. Winuser's Avatar
    Posts : 6,989
    Windows 10 Pro Insider
       #18

    winxp said:
    Running Win10 Pro on my desktop and trying to edit some old vides I made and saved to DVD.

    Pulled out some old family videos I created a few years back which are written to DVD in VOB format.

    Now that I'm using Win10 Pro it seems I can't get them to play.
    I have tried installing K-lite codex but still doesn't play.

    I know I can use a 3rd party software to convert to something else but at the moment I just want to play them and edit them in Adobe Premiere Elements 2020.

    Any video Editors out there?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    If you copied your DVDs to your HDD just change the .vob extension to .mpg.

    Edit: This site is very good for any video questions you may have. VideoHelp Forum
      My Computers

  9. Winuser's Avatar
    Posts : 6,989
    Windows 10 Pro Insider
       #19

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi there
    KODI will play almost every known format on the planet -- install leia (V 18) on Windows --- it also will play DVD iso's direct from .iso with menus and you can dynamically retrieve subtitles via opensubtitles.org or any other subtitle provider if you want.

    Note - to play commercial DVD's they will need to be de-crypted -- Software like AnyDVD can copy a commercial DVD to an un-encrypted iso which will play just fine -- I copied all my DVD's to plain iso's a long time ago -- saves keeping loads of physical media around. I play these remotely on a TV via a KODI client installed on an amazon fire tv box.

    AnyDVD isn't free software but it's great for archiving any commercial DVD's you might have and will play them (menu's and all) just like a physical one -- no need to convert to mp4 / mkv etc. KODI also will play vob's etc.

    Kodi installs easily on Windows, Linux, Android --might even be available on i-phones etc --don't know about that though.

    For editing of course you'll need some sort of video editor.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    The use of any programs to copy decrypted DVDs is illegal in the United States.
      My Computers

  10. winxp's Avatar
    Posts : 115
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #20

    THANKS Winuser
    "If you copied your DVDs to your HDD just change the .vob extension to .mpg"

    OMG that's all I needed to do? And it worked.
    Sure save me a lot of time.
    Thanks Wunuser!
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums