laptop doesnt boot automatically

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

  1. Posts : 78
    10pro 1909 10.0.18363 Build 18363
    Thread Starter
       #51

    This is what happened.

    1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.


    I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

    Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 7,089
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #52

    Note fast boot / startup settings in the BIOS and Windows are often the source of problems. I've disabled all such settings and my SSD boot time is only 15 secs.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 78
    10pro 1909 10.0.18363 Build 18363
    Thread Starter
       #53

    Steve C said:
    Note fast boot / startup settings in the BIOS and Windows are often the source of problems. I've disabled all such settings and my SSD boot time is only 15 secs.

    With fast startup , my SSD boot time is only 5-6 secs
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,338
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #54

    One thing I'd like to mention is that Fast Boot can be a hindrance in some troubleshooting situations.
    I've seen too many times on the modern computers if Setup or Boot menu need to be accessed, the appropriate Function key can't be pressed quickly enough for that to happen. @ram93, do you know if this is still the case?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 7,089
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #55

    ram93 said:
    With fast startup , my SSD boot time is only 5-6 secs
    System stability is worth 10 secs of my life on boot!
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 78
    10pro 1909 10.0.18363 Build 18363
    Thread Starter
       #56

    MeAndMyComputer said:
    One thing I'd like to mention is that Fast Boot can be a hindrance in some troubleshooting situations.
    I've seen too many times on the modern computers if Setup or Boot menu need to be accessed, the appropriate Function key can't be pressed quickly enough for that to happen. @ram93, do you know if this is still the case?
    Hi,
    In My laptop, as soon i press the power button, I start tapping the function key. Therefore, I am able to successfully enter the boot menu without any problems with fast startup enabled.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 24,646
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #57

    MeAndMyComputer said:
    I've seen too many times on the modern computers if Setup or Boot menu need to be accessed, the appropriate Function key can't be pressed quickly enough for that to happen.
    This is an odd one. It seems to depend on the exact make of PC and bios.

    I have several laptops from a variety of OEMs. On some of them (in particular the two in my specs below) the bios always skips the initial screen where you can press a function key to enter the bios or get the one-time boot menu when resuming from any form of hibernation (full hibernation or fast start up).

    On others, particularly Dell, you can always use the function key. I can hibernate my Dell Latitude E7440 and still get the boot menu with F12 on power up. After booting from a usb (eg. Macrium) when I turn it off then back on again it will resume from hibernation as if nothing had happened.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 1,338
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #58

    Bree said:
    This is an odd one. It seems to depend on the exact make of PC and bios.

    I have several laptops from a variety of OEMs. On some of them (in particular the two in my specs below) the bios always skips the initial screen where you can press a function key to enter the bios or get the one-time boot menu when resuming from any form of hibernation (full hibernation or fast start up).

    On others, particularly Dell, you can always use the function key. I can hibernate my Dell Latitude E7440 and still get the boot menu with F12 on power up. After booting from a usb (eg. Macrium) when I turn it off then back on again it will resume from hibernation as if nothing had happened.
    That's good to know. I haven't had to do a modern computer in about a year now.

    - - - Updated - - -

    MeAndMyComputer said:
    That's good to know. I haven't had to do a modern computer in about a year now.
    EDIT: I should have said I haven't had to do that on a modern computer in about a year now since I have serviced modern computers in the mix of older computers.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:53.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums