Windows 10: Which free antivirus will you prefer to use with win 10?

View Poll Results: Which free antivirus will you prefer?

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windows Defender

    97 61.78%
  • Avast

    26 16.56%
  • Avira

    5 3.18%
  • Anything else (mention please)

    29 18.47%
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
  1.    14 Oct 2014 #51

    Hi there

    All you "soon probably to be re-assigned" Security Gurus ==> anybody responded to my challenge yet.

    BTW all my remarks ONLY apply to HOME networks / computers -- there's still all sorts of stuff that requires ENTERPRISE computers to be protected - but this requires probably real resources against determined people who have all sorts of reasons for "having a go" at large corporations.

    Any HOME user here --you should SAVE YOUR MONEY -- there's 100% no point in PAYING for AV software any more and even the freebies don't do ANYTHING that Windows defender can't.

    YOU and ONLY YOU (and any others) who use your computer are the BEST protection.

    If I only got .50 CENTS (US) - not HALF a dollar but Half a cent for each person who thought malwarebytes could protect against the stuff I'd been complaining about I wouldn't be on the Forum but on a MEGA SIZED Yacht off the coast of Monaco lying in the Sun with Bikini clad damsels and nice glasses of all sorts of interesting drinks in my hand.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Last edited by jimbo45; 14 Oct 2014 at 10:06.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 901
    Windows IP 16199 Windows 14393.1198
       14 Oct 2014 #52

    I am trying AVG2015 just to test , so far it fares better than AVG2014
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 1,648
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       14 Oct 2014 #53

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Cheers
    jimbo
    Cheers, Jimbo!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    15 Oct 2014 #54

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    All you "soon probably to be re-assigned" Security Gurus ==> anybody responded to my challenge yet.

    BTW all my remarks ONLY apply to HOME networks / computers -- there's still all sorts of stuff that requires ENTERPRISE computers to be protected - but this requires probably real resources against determined people who have all sorts of reasons for "having a go" at large corporations.

    Any HOME user here --you should SAVE YOUR MONEY -- there's 100% no point in PAYING for AV software any more and even the freebies don't do ANYTHING that Windows defender can't.

    YOU and ONLY YOU (and any others) who use your computer are the BEST protection.

    If I only got .50 CENTS (US) - not HALF a dollar but Half a cent for each person who thought malwarebytes could protect against the stuff I'd been complaining about I wouldn't be on the Forum but on a MEGA SIZED Yacht off the coast of Monaco lying in the Sun with Bikini clad damsels and nice glasses of all sorts of interesting drinks in my hand.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    What you say may be true, however, both banks I deal with insist that they will not reimburse me for fraudulent internet banking transactions conducted in my name if I did not have third party internet security software installed on my computers.

    At one stage one of the banks was even blocking access to internet banking if a "suitable product" was not installed.
    Fortunately they did accept some of the free offerings like Avast.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    15 Oct 2014 #55

    Hi there

    I'm surprised the Banks didn't accept Ms security - but judging by the total incompetence of Bank I.T systems and practices all around the world recently they probably would lose LESS money if they just opened their vaults and said to everybody "Help yourselves" instead of the total mess they got themselves (and US the taxpayers with TRILLIONS of dollars in bailouts) into and are still paying out billions in compensation.

    A secure Banking system is an oxymoron like "Military Intelligence". !!

    In any case most Banking Scams are HUMAN - people paying Scammers of one sort or another or erroneously signing up to mega expensive DD's (Direct debits) or what's worse are the "mandates" where Banks can take whatever they like and are almost impossible to stop. None of this stuff can be prevented in any way whatsoever by Any SOFTWARE -- Banking transactions are due to a HUMAN action - AV software is ANTI - VIRUS software -- that's not a FRAUD PREVENTION piece of software.

    Banking Scams are as far as a computer is concerned a LEGITIMATE program or action - so all you "Experts" out there please tell me what AV has to do with fraudulent logons etc.

    What you need also is a DECENT FIREWALL which is a totally different ballgame to AV.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Last edited by jimbo45; 15 Oct 2014 at 03:41.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 11,340
    Windows 10 Professional x64
       15 Oct 2014 #56

    brummyfan said: View Post
    I am trying AVG2015 just to test , so far it fares better than AVG2014
    I installed AVG2015 first day of Windows 10 TP and works fine
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 4,333
    Win 10 Pro x64
       15 Oct 2014 #57

    Staying with Defender with SAS and MBAM on the side until Avast is done daydreaming and start rewriting their antivirus for Win 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    15 Oct 2014 #58

    badrobot said: View Post
    Staying with Defender with SAS and MBAM on the side until Avast is done daydreaming and start rewriting their antivirus for Win 10.
    Or at least plug holes up.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 901
    Windows IP 16199 Windows 14393.1198
       16 Oct 2014 #59

    Stephanie said: View Post
    I installed AVG2015 first day of Windows 10 TP and works fine
    Yes, it works but very slow in opening my email, may be it scans thoroughly, so I have gone back to Defender.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    20 Oct 2014 #60

    I'm actually using ESET. It's not free, but the license is for the machine, so if I dual-boot, I can use the same license on both OS instances. I have no problems so far.

    One thing that I like about ESET is its firewall that warns me whenever something tries to access the internet. I believe that it is me who should be accessing the net, not programs on their own schedule. I have no idea why Acrobat has to access the internet when I am opening a local file to read. Therefore I tell ESET to block it. Same for everything else. Nowadays every little piece of software wants to be connected. I have no idea what are they doing and I don't like it. With ESET I can allow or disallow net access to my programs. Basically, it's that feature that makes me keep ESET. Perhaps other security software can do the same, perhaps not. Windows firewall cannot. I'm used to this one, but I'm sure everyone has their own preference.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Antivirus needed?? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
I've read that win10 loads the Defender already working. With regular internet use (email, surfing, youtube, netflix, amazon, ebay) is 3rd party antivirus needed? Though I do run AdMucher on any win OS always. I see that AVG does work with win10 but...
Now I'd like to haggle price! I haven't seen a word yet on pricing for Win10 except it's free for owners of Win7 or Win8 and you make the change within one year of the final release date. Now for the fine print.............. I own two copies of...
Solved Do I need antivirus? in Virtualization
From my question you will doubtless realize I'm new to virtual machines. I've just installed VMWare Player and W10 TP. On my host system I have Emsisoft Internet Security running. I have no idea whether this will also protect my VM setup or if...
Think your free antivirus is safe to use? ... think again in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
New study shows that most free antivirus venders push crapware and pups in their installs... Has The Antivirus Industry Gone Mad? | Emsisoft Blog
Read more: Free antivirus scanners for Windows PCs | ZDNet
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:23.
Find Us