Windows Updates Taking Forever to Download

  1. Gurn Blanston's Avatar
    Posts : 245
    Win10 Pro x64
       #1

    Windows Updates Taking Forever to Download


    Is it just me, or are Windows 10 updates slowing down? Getting KB4051033 to download is like watching paint dry. I'm on a fibre network connection and Win 7 updates download like lightning, but Win 10 updates take forever. I've been sitting at 9% for the past half hour.

    Has anyone else had this happen? If so, is there a reason? I'm just curious.
      My Computer

  2. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 8,122
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint, Win7 Pro
       #2

    Have you tried downloading from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...date-kb4051033 ? Or on that page scroll to the bottom to find Windows Update Catalog to download the offline installer. Be sure to get either x86 [32-bit] or x64 [64-bit] depending upon what you are running.
      My Computer

  3. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 15,452
    10 Home x64 (2004) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #3

    Gurn Blanston said:
    Is it just me, or are Windows 10 updates slowing down? Getting KB4051033 to download is like watching paint dry. .... I've been sitting at 9% for the past half hour.

    Has anyone else had this happen? If so, is there a reason? I'm just curious.
    If you'd prefer to watch something happening, rather than the apparently stuck download percentage, then open Task Manager.

    You'll see that during the 'apparent' hangs there's actually a lot of CPU and 100% disk activity going on. Windows update seems to work by downloading in stages, processing what it has got so far before downloading some more. Windows update also has to work out what parts of the update you have already got, it will only download those parts that are new since your previous update. The percentage count is a bit misleading as it only appears to count how much has been downloaded, not the total work being done behind the scenes.
      My Computers

  4. Gurn Blanston's Avatar
    Posts : 245
    Win10 Pro x64
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Berton said:
    Have you tried downloading from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...date-kb4051033 ? Or on that page scroll to the bottom to find Windows Update Catalog to download the offline installer. Be sure to get either x86 [32-bit] or x64 [64-bit] depending upon what you are running.
    I have not tried that. Thank you for the suggestion.

    Bree said:
    If you'd prefer to watch something happening, rather than the apparently stuck download percentage, then open Task Manager.

    You'll see that during the 'apparent' hangs there's actually a lot of CPU and 100% disk activity going on. Windows update seems to work by downloading in stages, processing what it has got so far before downloading some more. Windows update also has to work out what parts of the update you have already got, it will only download those parts that are new since your previous update. The percentage count is a bit misleading as it only appears to count how much has been downloaded, not the total work being done behind the scenes.
    You're right Bree. It certainly is misleading. I could certainly see disk activity, but I didn't realize what was actually going on behind the scenes. Apparently, I'm due for the FCU shortly. I think I'll see if there is an offline installer for that one. IIRC, my PC at work was out of commission for three hours when that one was applied by the normal WU procedure. (Unless it was a just a service pack and not the FCU, my memory is fuzzy. In any case it was three hours of lost productivity due to an unfortunate reboot.)
      My Computer

  5. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 15,452
    10 Home x64 (2004) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #5

    Gurn Blanston said:
    Apparently, I'm due for the FCU shortly. I think I'll see if there is an offline installer for that one.
    There is, you download the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft then use that to 'make media for another PC'. You can make an ISO file or USB media. To upgrade you mount the ISO (or plug in the USB) then run the Setup.exe you'll find there from within your current Windows. It's how I've always upgraded my machines since 1511 - plus you get to keep the install media.

    Download Windows 10 ISO File

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade
      My Computers

  6. Gurn Blanston's Avatar
    Posts : 245
    Win10 Pro x64
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Thank you so much! :)
      My Computer



 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums