Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    12 Nov 2017 #11
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 13,271
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    @Kari was right about how to set uo windows for a new owner, but may have missed the legal point that you are required to remove windows altogether if you wish to retain your licence on that pc.
    I did not miss that:

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Step 1.) Clean install Windows 10, the same edition you are currently using and which is digitally licensed. Be sure to delete all existing partitions and install to unallocated space!
    It's absolutely the same if you use DISKPART to wipe the disk before installing, or if you do it in Windows Setup by deleting all partitions and then install on unallocated space, an empty disk.

    No difference at all.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    12 Nov 2017 #12
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,752
    Windows 10 IoT

    I do believe what @cereberus was saying is use diskpart to wipe the drive, and leave it that way, blank. No Windows installed at all. No OS installed. Leave it up to the new owner to install "an" OS. Which is not the same thing as your procedure.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    12 Nov 2017 #13
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 13,271
    Windows 10 Pro

    It doesn't change anything if I pre-install Windows for new user after wiping HDD clean delivering PC which boots to OOBE, or if I just wipe the disk but let new user to do the install. It is absolutely, completely most profoundly the same.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    12 Nov 2017 #14
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 6,739
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I did not miss that:



    It's absolutely the same if you use DISKPART to wipe the disk before installing, or if you do it in Windows Setup by deleting all partitions and then install on unallocated space, an empty disk.

    No difference at all.

    Kari
    I think I have not made it clear enough. I was talking about how to wipe drive BUT no carrying on to install windows at all.

    I also advocated using "clean all" which completely wipes data.

    Actually there is a difference between the diskpart command (using clean all) and deleting partitions if you do reinstall windows. With latter, tools like recuva could still retrieve data. With the diskpart 'clean all', data is nuked completely. As OP is selling PC, it is up to him to judge whether to take risk with quicker method or not.

    Personally, I would take longer approach if selling pc for peace of mind.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    12 Nov 2017 #15
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,752
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    It doesn't change anything if I pre-install Windows for new user after wiping HDD clean delivering PC which boots to OOBE, or if I just wipe the disk but let new user to do the install. It is absolutely, completely most profoundly the same.
    No it doesn't change the end result, assuming they install Windows 10. That's not a given, especially if the drive is blank. Preinstall it and leave it at the OOBE and odds are they will at least do that.

    IMHO what your suggesting and what cereberus suggested are not the same thing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    12 Nov 2017 #16
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,752
    Windows 10 IoT

    @cereberus I like your plan, wipe the drive. If I was passing my PC on to friend or family what I'd likely do is install the edition it got with via free upgrade, in my case 10 Pro. If It was going to parts unknown, I'd wipe it clean like your advising.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    12 Nov 2017 #17
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts : 2,023
    Windows 10 Pro x64 FCU - XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing

    We also have to remember that there are commercial differences to be considered -

    A majority of users contributing to this thread have the ability to "Recycle" the licence, (Retail from MSDN Etc), on a future project.

    The vast majority of those selling a used system cannot legitimately re-use the OS as it is an OEM that came with the hardware.

    In these cases it's makes more sense to sell the complete "package" of Hardware and OOBE prepared OS. There is also a considerable financial gain potential, as the mass market are used to buying a Plug and Play computing experience and are used to paying extra for the privilege, the add on price of the OS can easily return at least the cost of the OEM install media and key that they would need to purchase ( assuming that they are intending to run windows). In this situation I would not offer an option of with or without OS as there would be less profit margin to the seller
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    12 Nov 2017 #18
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,752
    Windows 10 IoT

    It may also result in one less pirated system out there.

    Some people just won't pay for anything. Give them an already legal activated 10 Home, and maybe they won't cheat their way to get 10 Pro.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    12 Nov 2017 #19
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 6,739
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
    We also have to remember that there are commercial differences to be considered -

    A majority of users contributing to this thread have the ability to "Recycle" the licence, (Retail from MSDN Etc), on a future project.

    The vast majority of those selling a used system cannot legitimately re-use the OS as it is an OEM that came with the hardware.

    In these cases it's makes more sense to sell the complete "package" of Hardware and OOBE prepared OS. There is also a considerable financial gain potential, as the mass market are used to buying a Plug and Play computing experience and are used to paying extra for the privilege, the add on price of the OS can easily return at least the cost of the OEM install media and key that they would need to purchase ( assuming that they are intending to run windows). In this situation I would not offer an option of with or without OS as there would be less profit margin to the seller
    Fair points, but if you want to leave Windows on pc and also go through oobe experience, then all you have to do is use 'reset my pc', keeping nothing, selecting option to wipe pc for selling which takes longer as it overwrites everything.

    I know we have digressed a bit but securely wiping drive before selling it is worth considering.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    12 Nov 2017 #20
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 13,271
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    Fair points, but if you want to leave Windows on pc and also go through oobe experience, then all you have to do is use 'reset my pc', keeping nothing, selecting option to wipe pc for selling which takes longer as it overwrites everything.
    Depending on hardware, that can take a few hours. Clean installing until OOBE, wiping the hard disk takes 10 to 15 minutes. Quite a difference.

    That's a simple reason why I consider Windows reset being an utterly useless feature. Two methods, same result, huge difference in time required.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft to partners: Here's how to sell Windows 10 Pro and 10 S
Read more: Microsoft to partners: Here's how to sell Windows 10 Pro and 10 S | ZDNet
Windows 10 News
Microsoft account and phone number linked
Hi all, If I start to use a Microsoft account in Windows 10, so I can use better the store and all the option related to it, but someone steal my pc and steal my telephone card, this "someone" could have access to my Windows 10 by using my mobile...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Solved Add Microsoft account to activation - doesnt exist in my settings
I am trying to migrate my free Windows 10 upgrade to new PC. The tutorial here : Microsoft Account - Link to Digital License on Windows 10 PC shows that in Settings -> Activation must be "Add a Microsoft Account" piece. I don't have it. Any...
Windows Updates and Activation
Can I set the default linked account in Windows 10 Mail App
I'm currently using the Windows 10 Mail App and have 8 different email accounts. When I open the mail app, I want my most-used email account to the the first one to open. Is there any way to change which email account appears when the Windows Mail...
Browsers and Email
Solved Linked my PC to outlook account and now login is a new password
Hello New to the forums and PCs in general. Bit of back info - built a PC a month ago. Have had a few set backs with drivers and BIOS update, but it seems everything is stable for now. I signed into my Xbox Live account about a week ago,...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums