Windows update using all available bandwidth. Disabled the p2p updates

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,723
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #21

    AndreTen said:
    Well, set as metered is now part of network options in Settings. but unfortunately I have no idea which updates (and how many of them) are for running smoothly.
    So far I haven't seen a single update that has been downloaded over a metered connection. Defender definitions certainly don't, and as far as cumulative updates at concerned, I have had to turn off metered connections before any of them would download.

    I'm not sure what Microsoft intend to use this for (there appears to be no official documentation I can find). Perhaps it's for seriously important security updates, but none appear to have qualified as that (yet). Either that or it's broken and updates that do qualify aren't being downloaded.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 16
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #22

    dalchina said:
    I'm using windows 10 home

    "This option is not available and will not work in
    Windows 10 Home"
      My Computer

  3. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 30,012
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #23

    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/make-w...indows-updates
    - well, it would be interesting to check that. Usually with Home using the registry is the way lacking the group policy editor.

    That says:

    Using Windows Registry
    If you are running Windows 10 Home, Run regedit and navigate to the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
    Create a new key under Windows key and set its name as WindowsUpdate. Next, create another key under it and name it AU.
    Now under this path, in the right pane, create a new DWORD AUOptions:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
    Set its value to 2. The following options are available

    • 2 – To notify for download and notify for install
    • 3 – To auto download and notify for install
    • 4 – To auto download and schedule the install
    • 5 – To allow local admin to choose setting


    Winaero says the same:
    https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disa...indows-10-rtm/

    If your Windows 10 comes without the Group Policy editor, apply a Registry tweak. Open Registry Editor and go to the following registry key (create it if you don't have it already):HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AUThere, create a new 32-bit DWORD value named "AUOptions" and set it to 2:

    I'd be surprised if Brink got it wrong though..

    I don't have Home so can't check - perhaps you can... Noted- thanks.
      My Computers

  4. D4ni3l's Avatar
    Posts : 307
    Microsoft Windows 10 x64
       #24

    <Win+R> GPEDIT.MSC (as admin)

    Code:
    Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Delivery Optimization
    Max Upload Bandwidth / Enabled / 40
    Maximum Download Bandwidth / Enabled / 800
    Download mode / Enabled / LAN (1)
    the value of 40 KB/sec and 800 KB/sec are half of my max internet bandwidth

    no more complaints from the others users at home
      My Computer

  5. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,014
    Windows10
       #25

    Wait less than two weeks, upgrade to 1709 and you can now restrict bandwidth used for updates.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 16
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #26

    D4ni3l said:
    <Win+R> GPEDIT.MSC (as admin)

    Code:
    Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Delivery Optimization
    Max Upload Bandwidth / Enabled / 40
    Maximum Download Bandwidth / Enabled / 800
    Download mode / Enabled / LAN (1)
    the value of 40 KB/sec and 800 KB/sec are half of my max internet bandwidth

    no more complaints from the others users at home
    I'm running home edition, so I have no group policy editor in this edition of Win10.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 16
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #27

    dalchina said:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/make-w...indows-updates
    - well, it would be interesting to check that. Usually with Home using the registry is the way lacking the group policy editor.

    That says:

    Using Windows Registry
    If you are running Windows 10 Home, Run regedit and navigate to the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
    Create a new key under Windows key and set its name as WindowsUpdate. Next, create another key under it and name it AU.
    Now under this path, in the right pane, create a new DWORD AUOptions:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
    Set its value to 2. The following options are available

    • 2 – To notify for download and notify for install
    • 3 – To auto download and notify for install
    • 4 – To auto download and schedule the install
    • 5 – To allow local admin to choose setting


    Winaero says the same:
    https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disa...indows-10-rtm/

    If your Windows 10 comes without the Group Policy editor, apply a Registry tweak. Open Registry Editor and go to the following registry key (create it if you don't have it already):HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AUThere, create a new 32-bit DWORD value named "AUOptions" and set it to 2:

    I'd be surprised if Brink got it wrong though..

    I don't have Home so can't check - perhaps you can... Noted- thanks.

    This doesn't appear to have have any effect at all. Update is still behaving the same way as before.
      My Computer

  8. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,723
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #28

    jamonbread22 said:
    I'm running home edition, so I have no group policy editor in this edition of Win10.
    A useful reference in this case is Microsoft's Group Policy Settings Reference for Windows and Windows Server, an Excel spreadsheet that lists all available policies for GPEDIT, what registry keys they use, and what the settings should be.

    The ones for Delivery Optimization bandwidth are apparently DOMaxUploadBandwidth and DOMaxDownloadBandwidth in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeliveryOptimization

    There's also one to limit bandwidth as a percentage of the available bandwidth.

    Note: setting a registry key in Home that is normally only created/used by GPEDIT may lead to a red 'some settings are managed by your organisation' message appearing (and in some cases can grey out some options) on the relevant page in the Settings app. If you make such a registry change, keep a record of what you did - you may want to undo it later to get rid of the 'organisation..' warnings and/or re-enable an option.
      My Computers

  9. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 30,012
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #29

    Limit bandwidth used by Windows Update - Super User

    Note: this is Win 8 based, but will probably be the same.
    Read from
    If you don't have a Pro edition,
    - after the group policy text.

    Comment on the Fall update- due in about 3 weeks:
    Windows 10 Fall Creators Update will limit the bandwidth used for Windows Update
      My Computers


 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:29.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums