Windows 10: Windows 10 Upgrade - Failed to Validate Product Key

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    31 Jul 2015 #11

    JoeyD123 said: View Post
    Your system may not meet the minimum requirements for the upgrade. I had installed from an insider build 10074 iso on an older laptop which has 2GB of ram but it is shared with video. The 64 bit iso installed fine but when windows update tried to update to the next build from within windows, it doesn't see the full 2 GB of memory so it gives the error that it doesn't meet reqirements. So I decided to try the 32 bit install (since it only has a 1GB requirement) from iso at boot and got the same message you got when trying to upgrade instead of clean install. So you may have the same issue, it won't update the 64 bit with 32bit and vice versa, it tells you to boot into windows to update. So at that point I tried a clean install and I get the same Failed to validate product key message, and no working key to use.
    I don't think this is the case. The laptop on which the upgrade is being done is a Dell E6520 laptop that has an i7 processor, 8GB of ram and an independent NVidia video card. If that doesn't meet the Win 10 minimum requirements then I don't know what would.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. Borg 386's Avatar
    Posts : 12,265
    Win 7 32, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1 64 Pro, Win 10 64 Education Edition
       31 Jul 2015 #12

    I attempted to upgrade mine with a disk & it also would not activate. Doing some searching I discovered the only way it will activate is if you choose the "update this computer" option from the MS Downloader. I uninstalled 10, reinstalled using that method & then it activated.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    31 Jul 2015 #13

    Borg 386 said: View Post
    I attempted to upgrade mine with a disk & it also would not activate. Doing some searching I discovered the only way it will activate is if you choose the "update this computer" option from the MS Downloader. I uninstalled 10, reinstalled using that method & then it activated.
    Do you mean using the tool found on this page:

    Windows 10

    If so then, yeah....same result...it tells me it failed to validate the key.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. Borg 386's Avatar
    Posts : 12,265
    Win 7 32, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1 64 Pro, Win 10 64 Education Edition
       31 Jul 2015 #14

    brianp said: View Post
    Do you mean using the tool found on this page:

    Windows 10

    If so then, yeah....same result...it tells me it failed to validate the key.
    That's it, if you try to use a disk to upgrade the OS, it fails to register the product. If you check "update this PC", then it d/l's & it shows up as registered, that's what it did on mine. There's a tutorial here that might help you:

    Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    31 Jul 2015 #15

    Borg 386 said: View Post
    That's it, if you try to use a disk to upgrade the OS, it fails to register the product. If you check "update this PC", then it d/l's & it shows up as registered, that's what it did on mine. There's a tutorial here that might help you:

    Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

    Thanks for the help, but nada.....I uninstalled my AV and tried every single step listed in the tutorial to no avail....whether I use the manager, try to install from ISO or try to install from a folder on my system I still keep getting the same error.

    This is bordering on lunacy....I mean, it shouldn't be rocket science to install a freakin' upgrade!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    29 Aug 2015 #16

    Something Happened ... Failed to Validate Product Key


    brianp said: View Post
    Good morning all,

    I am trying to upgrade one of our Laptops in our lab to Windows 10 Pro. It currently has Windows 7 Pro on it, and when I attempt to use the DVD copy I burned I am getting the dreaded "Setup has failed to validate the product key".

    Thanks.
    This tells me you're upgrading a "work" computer that likely your internal IT staff "securitized".

    I had this "Something happened" problem upgrading a win7 pro system with the Release version of Win10. I know the ISO was good because I used the same disc to update multiple systems. In my case I was using the disc on the win7 system prior to "registering" the system for the upgrade via the popup notification that appeared in the tray. So for the heck of it, I accepted the notification and waited for Windows Update to download win10. So I left the system on and waited.


    After a couple of days when Windows Update notified me it was ready to apply the update, after making me uninstall McAfee Enterprise as Incompatible, I got one of those 6-8 digit error codes from Windows Update telling me the update failed. Sorry, I can't find the the code. Regardless, searching on the code indicated it was an error because I didn't have Full Control access to Drive C. This was odd, because I was using an account which was in the Administrators group, but it wasn't the default Administrator account. But I did verify in Drive C Security settings that I didn't have Full Control. So I fixed that. But then I also switched back to the default Administrator account which had been disabled by our internal IT staff. Then the update applied and Win10 successfully installed. So I suspect that this issue was caused by one of the STIGS that our IT staff applied.


    I did not re-attempt using the ISO after changing the Drive C security settings. Having switched to the default Administrators account not only bypassed the Full Control issue, but any potential drive Ownership issues.


    Lessons learned:


    1) Not all Administrator accounts are equal.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 1
    HP Elitebook 6550b
       25 Jul 2016 #17

    Computers in AD Domain?


    rhfritz said: View Post
    This tells me you're upgrading a "work" computer that likely your internal IT staff "securitized".

    I had this "Something happened" problem upgrading a win7 pro system with the Release version of Win10. I know the ISO was good because I used the same disc to update multiple systems. In my case I was using the disc on the win7 system prior to "registering" the system for the upgrade via the popup notification that appeared in the tray. So for the heck of it, I accepted the notification and waited for Windows Update to download win10. So I left the system on and waited.


    After a couple of days when Windows Update notified me it was ready to apply the update, after making me uninstall McAfee Enterprise as Incompatible, I got one of those 6-8 digit error codes from Windows Update telling me the update failed. Sorry, I can't find the the code. Regardless, searching on the code indicated it was an error because I didn't have Full Control access to Drive C. This was odd, because I was using an account which was in the Administrators group, but it wasn't the default Administrator account. But I did verify in Drive C Security settings that I didn't have Full Control. So I fixed that. But then I also switched back to the default Administrator account which had been disabled by our internal IT staff. Then the update applied and Win10 successfully installed. So I suspect that this issue was caused by one of the STIGS that our IT staff applied.


    I did not re-attempt using the ISO after changing the Drive C security settings. Having switched to the default Administrators account not only bypassed the Full Control issue, but any potential drive Ownership issues.


    Lessons learned:


    1) Not all Administrator accounts are equal.
    Having same problem with systems attached to Active Directory domain. If I log on as Domain admin the upgrade works fine. If I try to upgrade using local administrator or domain user, the upgrade fails with message 'unable to validate product key'. This appears to be some sort of permissions issue. Does anyone know what privileges the users needs in AD in order to run the upgrade?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1
    7 trying to update to 10, day 6
       28 Jul 2016 #18

    I'm having the same problem. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, the Windows 10 pre-check is green, I've tried updating to 10 using Windows Update, the Media Creation Tool and Techbench. I following the instructions very carefully on Techbench, I've verified that my version shows that it is fully licensed for Windows 7 Pro using slmgr /dlv, fully updated 7, disabled my AV, created a new Admin account to run the update, I still get Windows 10 Update Something Happened Setup has failed to validate the product key. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Related Threads
My windows 10 failed to upgrade in Installation and Upgrade
I am now getting a new error. The error i am now getting is error C1420127 windows 10 now installs almost but towards the end it stops and says error and then when i go to look at it that is what the error is. Thanks for any help or tips
Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed in Windows Updates and Activation
This morning I see that Windows Update is trying to update Windows 10 Home on my desktop not once but twice by itself through Windows Update. I am not sure why is the update failed? I will check again later to see if the update will work next time...
Solved Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro Failed in Installation and Upgrade
I have 4 failures in my update history... why?
Windows 10 installation has failed. in Installation and Upgrade
I'm trying to install Windows 10 IP. However this message pops out. 21674 No idea what's happened. My harddrive has 38GB free. Here's my setuperr.log 2015-06-16 12:02:28, Error MOUPG CSystemHelper::CheckConnectedStandby(642):...
Hi, I am trying to upgrade GENUINE Windows 8.1 PRO x64 to Windows 10 Pro x64 from the ISO I made from the Microsoft RTM files. I am upgrading from within the 8.1 OS and choosing the option to keep "nothing" of my settings and personal files. I...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:49.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums