Windows 10: Creators Update

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

  1. Posts : 262
    Windows 10 x64 Home 1703
       27 Sep 2017 #41

    For the people that doesn't see CU available on Windows Update... if you upgraded 1511 to 1607, you probably have the "Defer Feature Updates" option in Windows Update, even if you are in home versions... supposedly because of a patch MS released in 2015...

    If you have that cheked, uncheck it and probably WU will be able to download CU by it's own... I had that in my old HD in AU 1607
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 Home x64
       27 Sep 2017 #42

    Not sure what was version was supplied by HP when I unpacked the box (all this excitement!) but it's quite possible that 1607 was deployed later.

    I also remember reading quite recently somewhere on El Reg (top comments here) about 'defer' option working wrong way round (which I'm afraid would not surprise me at all, but that's another story).

    So how do I check this on my PC though? It's home version, 'defer' option is not there, obviously, and registry settings seem okay to me?
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 2,307
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       28 Sep 2017 #43

    FerchogtX said: View Post
    For the people that doesn't see CU available on Windows Update... if you upgraded 1511 to 1607, you probably have the "Defer Feature Updates" option in Windows Update, even if you are in home versions... supposedly because of a patch MS released in 2015...

    If you have that cheked, uncheck it and probably WU will be able to download CU by it's own... I had that in my old HD in AU 1607
    I still don't have the CU on my 3 year old Dell laptop running Home. I don't have the Defer option - what's the patch you refer to?
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 262
    Windows 10 x64 Home 1703
       28 Sep 2017 #44

    Steve C said: View Post
    I still don't have the CU on my 3 year old Dell laptop running Home. I don't have the Defer option - what's the patch you refer to?
    How can I defer updates in Windows 10 Home? - Super User
    Here they mention said patch...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 Home x64
       28 Sep 2017 #45

    Nah, no such option available in 1607 Home Edition - and unless I missed something obvious this link refers to previous release(s)
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 5,395
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       28 Sep 2017 #46

    krzemien said: View Post
    ...remember reading quite recently somewhere on El Reg (top comments here) about 'defer' option working wrong way round...
    The 'defer upgrades' option in Pro works by switching you from the Current Branch (CB) to the Current Branch for Business (CBB). The Anniversary update (1607) is now on CBB, so it should be offered to 1511 even if you have deferred upgrades. It has always worked this way, but in 1703 it now explicitly tells you what it is doing rather than just saying 'defer'.

    Difficult to test this on 1607 (which is what that comment was about) because there isn't a Current Branch for Business update available for it yet. You can't tell if 'defer' is stopping you get the update or if it's something else that isn't working. It certainly works as designed in 1511, I tested that recently.
    Bree said:
    I have a 1511 image for my test machine so I restored that and checked for updates. It's Pro, so I tried it with and without 'defer updates'.

    Defer updates turned on it found: 'Features update to windows 10, version 1607'
    Defer updates turned off it skipped that, instead finding: 'Windows 10 Creators Update Privacy Settings (KB4013214)'
    Oct 17 Creators Fall update

    So how do I check this on my PC though? It's home version, 'defer' option is not there, obviously, and registry settings seem okay to me?
    Intrigued, I hunted for a registry setting for this. I found this key (in both Home and Pro) in:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings

    The REG_DWORD BranchReadinessLevel has the value 0x010 (16) without updates deferred and the value 0x020 (32) with updates deferred. I'm not suggesting you try changing this key, there may well be other keys involved that I haven't found. Changing this one key may have unexpected consequences. But it does at least give you a way to check what your 'defer' setting is currently set to.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 262
    Windows 10 x64 Home 1703
       28 Sep 2017 #47

    If that key works on Home editions, that could be a solution for people like me that gives some advantage time to upgrades so they are stable enough to update to...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 5,395
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       28 Sep 2017 #48

    As I said, there may be other keys involved, so try it at your own risk. What I can say is that in 1703 Pro changing that key changed what was shown in the Settings app for windows update's advanced settings from 'Current Branch' to 'Current Branch for Business' (and back again).

    Personally I like to update manually as soon as a new version is available to try it out, so it's just of academic interest to me. I keep a previous system image handy in case it doesn't work out.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 2,307
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       29 Sep 2017 #49

    Bree said: View Post
    The 'defer upgrades' option in Pro works by switching you from the Current Branch (CB) to the Current Branch for Business (CBB). The Anniversary update (1607) is now on CBB, so it should be offered to 1511 even if you have deferred upgrades. It has always worked this way, but in 1703 it now explicitly tells you what it is doing rather than just saying 'defer'.

    Difficult to test this on 1607 (which is what that comment was about) because there isn't a Current Branch for Business update available for it yet. You can't tell if 'defer' is stopping you get the update or if it's something else that isn't working. It certainly works as designed in 1511, I tested that recently.
    Oct 17 Creators Fall update



    Intrigued, I hunted for a registry setting for this. I found this key (in both Home and Pro) in:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings

    The REG_DWORD BranchReadinessLevel has the value 0x010 (16) without updates deferred and the value 0x020 (32) with updates deferred. I'm not suggesting you try changing this key, there may well be other keys involved that I haven't found. Changing this one key may have unexpected consequences. But it does at least give you a way to check what your 'defer' setting is currently set to.
    Good find but I don't have the REG_DWORD BranchReadinessLevel on my Home edition laptop.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 5,395
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       29 Sep 2017 #50

    Steve C said: View Post
    Good find but I don't have the REG_DWORD BranchReadinessLevel on my Home edition laptop.
    I do on my Home edition laptop.

    That may well be a legacy of my upgrade to Anniversary Update. When I manually updated I was surprised to see the 'Defer upgrades' option briefly appear in Settings. It very quickly disappeared again when Windows finished setting itself up, but I may have played with it to see if it was working before the option was removed. That's probably what created this key on my system. If it exists and is set to 16 then defer is turned off anyway, so I'm leaving my registry 'as is' - it doesn't seem to be causing me a problem.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Related Threads
It's dejŠ vu all over again. :doh: The correct behaviour of windows update over a metered connection is to offer the choice to download, or wait until on a non-metered connection. 128460 The initial build of the Anniversary Update broke...
Read more: Microsoft will call Windows 10's next update the 'Autumn Creators Update' in the UK | Windows Central Update: The Windows 10 Autumn Creators Update will be called 'Fall Creators Update' after all | Windows Central
I updated to V1703 Creators update and when I update my IOS APPS on my PC, it will not all update when checking "Simultaneous Updates" in ITunes APPS update. Unchecking the "Simultaneous Updates" box results in all APPS getting updated on the PC. I...
Source: Windows 10 Creators Update and Creators Update SDK are Released - Building Apps for WindowsBuilding Apps for Windows :arrow: Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703 (build 15063) now available from Windows 10 Update Assistant. ...
Source: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2017/03/16/visual-studio-2017-update-preview-and-windows-10-creators-update-sdk/
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:26.
Find Us