Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    21 Jun 2017 #1
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 220
    Windows 10 Pro 1511

    Computer gone 'crazy'


    Hello,Recently I decided to update the system, enabled the update option (for some time it was disabled). The search took a while, and then it started to download - without any option to select which. Then installation started, very slow and long. Restartings started, got a notice it will take some time and several restarts.After 4 - 5 restarts screen was black, only win "carousele" kept revolving, keyboard and mouse were inoperative, there were no flashes it the 'Start' button, and so for about half an hour without any progress. I pressed several moments the start button and computer 'awakened' with a notice it returns to previous windows intallation. After a while got my windows back, but then it "found new updates" and the whole thing started again. At the end I got notice that updates were succesfuly installed (?). Happy with this info I opened the control panel if there are new updates - there were none.Opened the 'installed updates' page and the 'update History' page - they do not match.Made some screenshots, I'll try to add them here.In the 'installed updates' page I right-clicked at each one, at sone there was an uninstall option, some nothing.The next day, computer On and I wad working on something, a popup notice said there are new updates and countdown to restart started, pressed on 'later' and the notice gone. Continued to work, suddenly computer started rebooting, the whole process described above started all over again. I restored with Macrium image made some days ago, in the control panel disabled updates option, same in the task manager. End of story untill now.So now I ask you for some explanations about such behavior, and howto stop auto-restart, if it happens again.Windows is 10 pro 1511 32 bit, and I do not have the installation CD. I do not want to reinstall windows because I have also office installed and many other programs which I use.Answers will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Motim
    PS. Please forgive me for the long story, but have to give the whole 'picture'.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chk for updates.jpg   Installed Updates.jpg   Update History.jpg  
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    21 Jun 2017 #2
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 10,968
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    You say you received some updates, restart, then another bunch of updates, restart.

    But you haven't stated whether any of these groups of updates were the same or different. That's quite important- was it repeating the same updates?

    I'm going to hazard a wild guess.

    Then installation started, very slow and long. Restartings started, got a notice it will take some time and several restarts.After 4 - 5 restarts screen was black, only win "carousele" kept revolving, keyboard and mouse were inoperative, there were no flashes it the 'Start' button, and so for about half an hour without any progress. I pressed several moments the start button and computer 'awakened' with a notice it returns to previous windows intallation.
    This was a failed attempt to upgrade your PC to a later build.

    it "found new updates" and the whole thing started again. At the end I got notice that updates were succesfuly installed (?). Happy with this info I opened the control panel if there are new updates - there were none.
    This was a successful attempt to upgrade (there would be no updates listed).

    The next day, computer On and I wad working on something, a popup notice said there are new updates and countdown to restart started, pressed on 'later' and the notice gone. Continued to work, suddenly computer started rebooting, the whole process described above started all over again.
    This was your PC updating the new build.

    If that is true (and I have no way of being certain given the limited information - no specific details of which updates were applied in each of the above sequences) - your PC had upgraded and updated.

    If so, then unfortunately, by restoring your image, you've undone all that work.

    Does that sound right?

    Ways to control updates:
    1. Use Active Hours. Set a time period in which restarts will not occur. That's available in Setttings.
    2. Set updates to Notify only. (See e.g. Winaero's free tweaker with full description of the group policy/registry change). That means no download unless you say so.
    3. If you use Pro, set Defer feature updates.
    That means you don't get build upgrades fro some months.

    But given that you have an old build, actually you should be upgrading, in the hope that upgrading won't cause you particular difficulties.

    I do not have the installation CD
    iso's always available for free download.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    21 Jun 2017 #3
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 220
    Windows 10 Pro 1511
    Thread Starter

    My "Crazy" computer


    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    You say you received some updates, restart, then another bunch of updates, restart.

    But you haven't stated whether any of these groups of updates were the same or different. That's quite important- was it repeating the same updates?
    Hello,
    Thanks for the prompt answer.
    Correction: On the first "update", list of updates is on screenshots I posted, they are from the first 'run' and they do not match, some of the so-called 'successfull' installed (the bigger screenshot), are not on the smaller screenshot.
    Right-click on some 'updates' in the smaller list responded with 'uninstall' and some did nothing.
    My guess: 'uninstall' option applies only to something which is actually installed.
    After some attempts to restart, I received the 'big list' of 'succesfull' installations.
    On the next day there were no downloads and no list at all, it just forced the restart, remained black screen for more then 40 minutes and nothing happened. Only then I restored with previous image.
    Hope this makes some answer to your questions.
    Thanks again.
    Motim
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    23 Jun 2017 #4
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 220
    Windows 10 Pro 1511
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Motim View Post
    Hello,
    Thanks for the prompt answer.
    Correction : On the first "update", list of updates is on screenshots I posted, they are from the first 'run' and they do not match, some of the so-called 'successfull' installed (the bigger screenshot), are not on the smaller screenshot.
    Right-click on some 'updates' in the smaller list responded with 'uninstall' and some did nothing.
    My guess: 'uninstall' option applies only to something which is actually installed.
    After some attempts to restart, I received the 'big list' of 'succesfull' installations.
    On the next day there were no downloads and no list at all, it just forced the restart, remained black screen for more then 40 minutes and nothing happened. Only then I restored with previous image.
    Hope this makes some answer to your questions.
    Thanks again.
    Motim
    Hello,
    Since the auto-update has no options to select which updates to install, and the auto-update caused my lot of troubles as described in previous posts, I will try to download the updates from MS library according to the list on previous screenshots, and try to install them one by one to see which one makes the troubles.
    I only ask you : When the files are on hand, how to install them.
    Answers will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Motim
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    23 Jun 2017 #5
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 8,643
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit

    Are you planning to stay with windows 1511 or upgrade to 1703 if possible?

    Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:


    1) winver (in the pop up about windows > view your windows version and build > type this information into the thread)


    2) sfc /scannow


    3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth


    4) chkdsk /scan


    When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on copy > paste into the thread




    Also open control panel and run the windows update troubleshooter:
    Click on advanced to make sure apply repairs automatically is checked.
    And click on run as administrator.
    When it finishes click on view detailed information.
    For anything fixed or not fixed please post an image into the thread.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    24 Jun 2017 #6
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 220
    Windows 10 Pro 1511
    Thread Starter

    About Computer "Crazy"


    Quote Originally Posted by zbook View Post
    Are you planning to stay with windows 1511 or upgrade to 1703 if possible?
    Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    1) winver (in the pop up about windows > view your windows version and build > type this information into the thread)
    2) sfc /scannow
    3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    4) chkdsk /scan
    .
    Hello,
    Thanks for your answer.
    I'll ask, what is so good with this 1703 version,better then the present I have ?
    As instructed, ran the tests except the update troubleshooter which I'll run soon.
    Other tests done, here attached screenshots of each one as well as Winver.
    After the troubleshooter I'll post the resulst - if any.
    But now I have 9 update files downloaded from MS center, shell I install them manually one by one ?
    Answers will be appreciated
    Thanks
    Motim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CHKDSK scan results.jpg   Dism... results.jpg   SFC-SCAN results.jpg   Winver.jpg   Winver-2.jpg  

      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    24 Jun 2017 #7
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 8,643
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit

    All of the updates can be performed at one time. Make sure you are not on a metered connection.
    If there are any update failures please post the KB# and error code.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    24 Jun 2017 #8
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 220
    Windows 10 Pro 1511
    Thread Starter

    My "Crazy" computer


    Quote Originally Posted by zbook View Post
    All of the updates can be performed at one time. Make sure you are not on a metered connection.
    If there are any update failures please post the KB# and error code.
    Hello,
    Thanks for the answer.
    Have not received any opinion about results of the tests as I sent.
    Here are attached screenshots of the troubleshooter findings (?) as you instructed.
    Later I will start installing the updates, also attach here a list of the downloaded updates, I intend to install the updates offline since I have the update files in a folder
    Thanks
    Motim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TRoubleshoot-1.jpg   Troubleshoot-2.jpg  
    Computer gone 'crazy' Attached Files
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    24 Jun 2017 #9
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 8,643
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit

    The test results so far are fine with sfc scannow, dism restorehealth, and chkdsk scan.
    The choice for windows versions is personal. There are multiple threads in this forum. This is some very basic information:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...cle-fact-sheet
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4000824
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ows-update-faq

    Upon second thought why not perform one windows update at a time and see how it goes. It seems that way you are less likely to get stuck in a loop or at least you will know which update was problematic.

    If necessary you can generate the cbs and windows update log

    Place the computer in clean boot before making the updates:

    Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste these commands:

    1) msconfig (in the pop up system configuration > move the dot from normal startup to selective startup > uncheck load startup items > click service tab > in left lower corner check hide all Microsoft services > in the lower right side click disable all > click apply or ok > do not reboot)


    2) taskmgr (in the pop up task manager > click on the start up tab > click on status so that the column sorts with enable rising to the top > right click on each row with enable and change to disable)


    3) shutdown /r (you will reboot the computer so that it is in clean boot)
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...indows-10.aspx
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    24 Jun 2017 #10
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 220
    Windows 10 Pro 1511
    Thread Starter

    My "Crazy" computer


    Quote Originally Posted by zbook View Post
    The test results so far are fine with sfc scannow, dism restorehealth, and chkdsk scan.
    The choice for windows versions is personal. There are multiple threads in this forum. This is some very basic information:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...cle-fact-sheet
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4000824
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ows-update-faq
    Upon second thought why not perform one windows update at a time and see how it goes. It seems that way you are less likely to get stuck in a loop or at least you will know which update was problematic.
    If necessary you can generate the cbs and windows update log
    Place the computer in clean boot before making the updates:
    Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste these commands:

    1) msconfig (in the pop up system configuration > move the dot from normal startup to selective startup > uncheck load startup items > click service tab > in left lower corner check hide all Microsoft services > in the lower right side click disable all > click apply or ok > do not reboot)
    2) taskmgr (in the pop up task manager > click on the start up tab > click on status so that the column sorts with enable rising to the top > right click on each row with enable and change to disable)
    3) shutdown /r (you will reboot the computer so that it is in clean boot)
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...indows-10.aspx
    Hello and many thanks,
    Disable everything ? what about the antivirus ? Then I have to make the updates offline ?
    Thanks again
    Motim
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
How Do I Fix this Crazy Error?
I got the following error when I ran a diagnostic. Now I got nothing connected in my PCIe slot, no graphics card, nothing. How can I fix this? Platform Power Management Capabilities: PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled PCI...
Drivers and Hardware
drivin me crazy
did the windows 10 upgrade about a month ago. no probs. then i setup cortana no probs now when i use skype my voice sounds like a chipmunk.and when i shut off cortana skype is normal. can someone help me with this issue PLEASE
General Support
Call me crazy, but...
I am going to switch to Bing. :o For the rest of the week and see how I like it. Does anyone else use Bing, and do you really earn a lot of gift cards like they say? -Chuck
Browsers and Email
Crazy contrast
This is a simple, yet extremely annoying, problem I've been having. Every time I go from a full screen application like a game then tab out, my contrast is immediately placed to default which is ridiculously low. After placing it back to what I have...
Customization
Crazy Popup
Hello Everyone, I just installed Windows 10. Now, every few seconds a popup occurs. At the very top it says: C:/Users/XXXXX/AppData/Local/ArcadeTwistcat/VOTrx.exe It interferes with every site I go to by stopping typing, blocking what I am reading...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:08.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums