Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    15 May 2017 #11
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,841
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    @DaveH1- Tweaking.com's cautious free repair tool which Simrick refers to is considered safe- follow its cautious steps, and only use relevant repairs.

    As you say, the * in the message is new to me.
    Yes, I can report that another member here tried all the repairs, all at once, (on a VM), and it totally borked the install. You have to be very careful what you use.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    15 May 2017 #12
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,993
    Windows10

    Several people have reported this including myself. It looks like there is a bug somewhere and message is erroneous. I did not have any actual restrictions in place as far as I could tell.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    15 May 2017 #13
    Join Date : May 2017
    Posts : 9
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1709
    Thread Starter

    Thanks everyone!
    This could of course just be a bug, as some of the links say, but I would have thought that more people would be seeing it if that were the case.
    I have nothing knowingly in place to restrict telemetry.
    The telemetry level option under "privacy" settings is set to full, I have tried setting it to basic but it made no difference.
    I do a full system image every week anyway (and ERUNT automatically backs up my registry on the first boot of every day), so I will do an image backup later today and try the tweaking.com repair tool.
    I don't want to get into system resets and in-place repairs, that's a really last resort IMO and this is only an annoyance, it doesn't seem to be causing any functional problems!
    Cheers, Dave.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    15 May 2017 #14
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,841
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH1 View Post
    Thanks everyone!
    This could of course just be a bug, as some of the links say, but I would have thought that more people would be seeing it if that were the case.
    I have nothing knowingly in place to restrict telemetry.
    The telemetry level option under "privacy" settings is set to full, I have tried setting it to basic but it made no difference.
    The anti-telemetry changes would have to have been done by a third party for it to make a difference (O&O Shutup, etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH1 View Post
    I do a full system image every week anyway (and ERUNT automatically backs up my registry on the first boot of every day), so I will do an image backup later today and try the tweaking.com repair tool.
    Good. Let us know how that goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH1 View Post
    I don't want to get into system resets and in-place repairs, that's a really last resort IMO and this is only an annoyance, it doesn't seem to be causing any functional problems!
    Cheers, Dave.
    Just so you understand, an in-place repair is not a last resort, and retains all applications, settings (except for what it might correct) and data. It's definitely something to be done before looking at reset/refresh/clean install, which remove stuff.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    15 May 2017 #15
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,524
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

    "*some settings are hidden or managed by your organisation" means, as Dalchina says in post #4, that there's a non-standard registry setting. Whether this was set through group policy, a third party app or by the user themselves in Regedit can be difficult to track down.

    As an example (not, unfortunately, the one the OP wants) here's one I know of, having set it myself. You can try it yourself to see the effects. Create the DWORD AllowTelemetry with the value 0 in... Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection

    This adds the red message (complete with the '*') in Settings > Privacy > Feedback & diasgnostics and greys out the 'Select how much data you send to Microsoft' options. This registry setting will be retained after an in-place upgrade, either to the same version or upgrading to Creators (I know, having done both). Delete AllowTelemetry and that setting page returns to normal.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    15 May 2017 #16
    Join Date : May 2017
    Posts : 9
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1709
    Thread Starter

    Thanks @simrick.

    Well, you're not going to believe this, but it seems to be fixed, and I have absolutely no idea why!


    I booted into Windows 10 (I have a multi-boot machine) and the message was still there, as expected.
    I then downloaded and installed the Tweaking.com repair tool.

    I looked around its menus to see what it could do, but didn't actually run any of the routines.
    I then looked at Windows Update again, and the red message had gone, both from the first page and the Advanced Options page!

    Now I obviously have no way of proving that installing the repair tool had anything to do with this, although I can't for the life of me imagine why it would have done. As I said, I didn't actually run any of the repair options!

    Just as a test, I then uninstalled the Tweaking.com repair program, and the message still didn't come back.
    I then did a manual ERUNT backup of the registry, and then restored the automatic backup that it had created when I first booted into Windows 10, when the message was definitely present, and rebooted again. The message still did not come back, so it's presumably nothing to do with anything in the registry.

    This is quite bizarre. If it suddenly fixed itself now, for an unknown reason, it would be an enormous coincidence.
    Does the mere act of installing the repair tool do anything to the system? Surely not.

    I don't know about any of you, but I for one really hate it when that happens. I'm pleased that the message has gone, but I still want to know why it was there in the first place, and why it has now suddenly disappeared for no apparent reason!

    Cheers, Dave.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    15 May 2017 #17
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,841
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH1 View Post
    Thanks @simrick.

    Well, you're not going to believe this, but it seems to be fixed, and I have absolutely no idea why!


    I booted into Windows 10 (I have a multi-boot machine) and the message was still there, as expected.
    I then downloaded and installed the Tweaking.com repair tool.

    I looked around its menus to see what it could do, but didn't actually run any of the routines.
    I then looked at Windows Update again, and the red message had gone, both from the first page and the Advanced Options page!

    Now I obviously have no way of proving that installing the repair tool had anything to do with this, although I can't for the life of me imagine why it would have done. As I said, I didn't actually run any of the repair options!

    Just as a test, I then uninstalled the Tweaking.com repair program, and the message still didn't come back.
    I then did a manual ERUNT backup of the registry, and then restored the automatic backup that it had created when I first booted into Windows 10, when the message was definitely present, and rebooted again. The message still did not come back, so it's presumably nothing to do with anything in the registry.

    This is quite bizarre. If it suddenly fixed itself now, for an unknown reason, it would be an enormous coincidence.
    Does the mere act of installing the repair tool do anything to the system? Surely not.

    I don't know about any of you, but I for one really hate it when that happens. I'm pleased that the message has gone, but I still want to know why it was there in the first place, and why it has now suddenly disappeared for no apparent reason!

    Cheers, Dave.
    I forgot to tell you, I waived my magic wand over your system.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	135094

    I don't know what to say. Simply installing Tweaking won't do anything.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    15 May 2017 #18
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,055
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    Clearly you threatened it sufficiently...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    15 May 2017 #19
    Join Date : May 2017
    Posts : 9
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1709
    Thread Starter

    Yes, I guess I must have done!
    And, @simrick, if it was your magic wand, I hope you keep it to hand and fully charged here at all times!

    I guess it's going to be one of those things that will never be explained.
    Clutching at straws here, but I'm wondering if deleting those registry keys did in fact do the trick, but for some reason it didn't produce a result straight away. Unlikely though that sounds, that's all I can think of.
    It would be an almost unbelievable coincidence if it spontaneously fixed itself at the same time that I was working on it with your help!
    Anyway, if it comes back, you'll all be the first to know!
    Cheers and thanks for all your help all of you, I'm loving this forum already!
    Cheers,
    Dave.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    15 May 2017 #20
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,841
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH1 View Post
    Yes, I guess I must have done!
    And, @simrick, if it was your magic wand, I hope you keep it to hand and fully charged here at all times!

    I guess it's going to be one of those things that will never be explained.
    Clutching at straws here, but I'm wondering if deleting those registry keys did in fact do the trick, but for some reason it didn't produce a result straight away. Unlikely though that sounds, that's all I can think of.
    It would be an almost unbelievable coincidence if it spontaneously fixed itself at the same time that I was working on it with your help!
    Anyway, if it comes back, you'll all be the first to know!
    Cheers and thanks for all your help all of you, I'm loving this forum already!
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    It was obviously the magic wand trick.
    Please go ahead and mark the thread as solved; you can unmark it, if it appears again. Cheers Dave!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
VoodooShield & Simple Software-restriction Policy & EMET
Hi, Can someone say please if there are any advantages/advantages of using these three together active in the same time on Windows 10 64-bit Home edition? 1. VoodooShield https://voodooshield.com/ 2. Simple Software-restriction...
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
User Accounts Family Child - Manage Web Browsing Restriction Settings
How to Manage Web Browsing Restriction Settings for Child in your Microsoft Family It’s easy to share your Windows 10 PC with family members. Add family members using Add a family member from your PC's Settings, and they’ll be able to use that PC...
Tutorials
done w windows 10 until further notice
i am done with windows 10 until further notice. it has just caused me problem after problem after problem. my system won't shutdown properly because my mb is not windows 10 ready, I've lost everything i had on my system because i had to do a clean...
Installation and Upgrade
No update notice with Win 7 for Win 10?
After my husband recently upgraded and tried Win 10, I would also like to have it too, but I have updated my Win 7 version through the updates page and no where can I see where to upgrade to Win 10? He received a Win 10 upgrade notice a few months...
Installation and Upgrade
Reserve Windows 10 Notice
I have decided not to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10. How do I get rid of the upgrade notice on my PC? I hope there is a way since it has become annoying. Thank you.
Windows Updates and Activation
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:06.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums