1.    08 May 2017 #1
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10

    Upgraded for free from 8.1 to 10. Reactivation after hardware change


    I had a Windows 8.1 license, which I upgraded into Windows 10 when Microsoft was providing the possibility. However, I'd like to do a hardware update soon (motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM. SSD drives will remain the same). Will I be able to re-activate my Windows 10 license?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    08 May 2017 #2
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,536
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

    Quote Originally Posted by sauronnikko View Post
    I'd like to do a hardware update soon (motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM. SSD drives will remain the same).
    What hardware are you changing then? Some changes, such as a hard drive, don't count as a significant change and Windows should activate automatically. If not, see this tutorial...

    After you add your Microsoft account and link it to your digital license, you can use the Activation troubleshooter to help reactivate Windows after a hardware change.
    Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    08 May 2017 #3
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 172
    Windows 10 Enterprise x64

    It's well known that changing out hardware components can trigger a reactivation prompt. In Windows 8 and higher, OEM product keys are stored in a protected region of the BIOS firmware, instead of on a sticker on the PC. Hopefully 10 will see that key and reactivate fine.

    Extract product key from BIOS:
    https://itsolutionsblog.net/3-ways-t...8-product-key/

    I used RW-Everything for this, only takes a minute or 2: The program has a portable version that doesnt need to be installed, so you can cleanly delete it when done. If you dont see a PK then it's safe to assume that there isnt one one embedded into your BIOS. But if what you have is an OEM PC manufactured by one of the OEMs, then it should almost certainly be there. If it's a custom build, then probably not.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    08 May 2017 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,418
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by AnonVendetta View Post
    It's well known that changing out hardware components can trigger a reactivation prompt. In Windows 8 and higher, OEM product keys are stored in a protected region of the BIOS firmware, instead of on a sticker on the PC. Hopefully 10 will see that key and reactivate fine.

    Extract product key from BIOS:
    https://itsolutionsblog.net/3-ways-t...8-product-key/

    I used RW-Everything for this, only takes a minute or 2: The program has a portable version that doesnt need to be installed, so you can cleanly delete it when done. If you dont see a PK then it's safe to assume that there isnt one one embedded into your BIOS. But if what you have is an OEM PC manufactured by one of the OEMs, then it should almost certainly be there. If it's a custom build, then probably not.
    And as soon as the OP upgrades the motherboard that product key is gone.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    08 May 2017 #5
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 6,011
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by AnonVendetta View Post
    It's well known that changing out hardware components can trigger a reactivation prompt. In Windows 8 and higher, OEM product keys are stored in a protected region of the BIOS firmware, instead of on a sticker on the PC. Hopefully 10 will see that key and reactivate fine.

    Extract product key from BIOS:
    https://itsolutionsblog.net/3-ways-t...8-product-key/

    I used RW-Everything for this, only takes a minute or 2: The program has a portable version that doesnt need to be installed, so you can cleanly delete it when done. If you dont see a PK then it's safe to assume that there isnt one one embedded into your BIOS. But if what you have is an OEM PC manufactured by one of the OEMs, then it should almost certainly be there. If it's a custom build, then probably not.
    None of this applies as OP is changing mobo.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    08 May 2017 #6
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 172
    Windows 10 Enterprise x64

    Ah, somehow I missed the part about the mobo. If he were only changing out less important components then the PK would still be in the BIOS on that mobo. But since it seems he is changing out almost everything, he might as well build a new PC, LOL.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    08 May 2017 #7
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    I'm changing everything minus the SSD... probably won't change everything all at once, though.

    I guess that, yes, I'm building a new PC. Given that I won't go back to my previous components, I'd like to know if I can reutilize my license.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    08 May 2017 #8
    Join Date : May 2017
    Posts : 1
    MAC

    I just replaced my motherboard and now my Windows 10 will not be activated and I am not sure how.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    09 May 2017 #9
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 6,011
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmansq View Post
    I just replaced my motherboard and now my Windows 10 will not be activated and I am not sure how.
    See post #2.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    09 May 2017 #10
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 6,011
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by sauronnikko View Post
    I'm changing everything minus the SSD... probably won't change everything all at once, though.

    I guess that, yes, I'm building a new PC. Given that I won't go back to my previous components, I'd like to know if I can reutilize my license.
    see post#2
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
[Q] How to get product key on Free Upgraded Windows 10 system
I had a Windows 7 Ultimate PC which I had upgraded to Windows 10. But, now I am trying to sell the Windows 10 key on my system as I am planning to use Ubuntu fulltime. But, when I tried with Produkey and other softwares, I am not able to get the...
Windows Updates and Activation
Windows 10 "Free upgrade" after hardware change?
So, I am planning on buying a new hard drive for my computer, and since Windows 10's activation is based on hardware, will I still have the free upgrade?
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved How much longer for the free upgraded?
How much longer is the free update available? I would be upgrading from Windows 7 Pro BTW. -Thanks!
General Support
Installed Win 7 on Mac. Can I get free Win 10 for an upgraded computer
Hello, I installed Windows 7 Professional 64bit on the Windows partition of a Macbook Pro via Bootcamp. I am selling that computer and going to erase that Windows partition. I know that Win 7 can be upgraded to Win10 for free. Can I use this...
General Support
Windows 10 clean install not activated (Hardware upgraded)
So a few months back I upgraded for free from win7 to win10 Pro. Today I got a new CPU, RAM, MBO (also currently using the new MBO onboard GPU, waiting for my new one) and did a clean install of Win10 (from USB created with MediaCreationToolkit)....
Windows Updates and Activation
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:00.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums