Effect on family if I create a Microsoft Account to link license


  1. Posts : 171
    Windows 10
       #1

    Effect on family if I create a Microsoft Account to link license


    Hi. Now that I've allowed the upgrade to Win10, I want to be prepared in case I ever build a new PC which means creating a Microsoft account in which to link my Win10 digital license. I've created the MSA but, before I do any linking, I'd like to know if it will have any effect on my family. I'm assuming that they can continue to use their existing User Account and password and won't be prompted to create their own MSA's?

    Thank you.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 668
    Win 10 pro
       #2

    dortmunder said:
    Hi. Now that I've allowed the upgrade to Win10, I want to be prepared in case I ever build a new PC which means creating a Microsoft account in which to link my Win10 digital license. I've created the MSA but, before I do any linking, I'd like to know if it will have any effect on my family. I'm assuming that they can continue to use their existing User Account and password and won't be prompted to create their own MSA's?

    Thank you.
    You cannot transfer the license to another PC you will need a new one,
    (but you can use the product key if it's a retail one)
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #3

    dortmunder said:
    I'd like to know if it will have any effect on my family. I'm assuming that they can continue to use their existing User Account and password and won't be prompted to create their own MSA's?
    It will have no effect on their accounts.

    They will be prompted to create MSA if they for example sign into a store app but this is unaffected by what you do with your account. It is just what Windows does.

    roy111 said:
    You cannot transfer the license to another PC you will need a new one,
    (but you can use the product key if it's a retail one)
    You certainly can transfer an upgraded licence, I have.

    Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 668
    Win 10 pro
       #4

    lx07 said:
    It will have no effect on their accounts.

    They will be prompted to create MSA if they for example sign into a store app but this is unaffected by what you do with your account. It is just what Windows does.

    You certainly can transfer an upgraded licence, I have.

    Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    Those links talk about hardware changes in an already licensed PC not a brand new PC,
    anyway I am courios too to understand better...
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 13,697
    Windows10
       #5

    roy111 said:
    You cannot transfer the license to another PC you will need a new one,
    (but you can use the product key if it's a retail one)

    This is not correct. Since AU version, you can transfer digital licence to a new deive using Activation Troubleshooter.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #6

    roy111 said:
    Those links talk about hardware changes in an already licensed PC not a brand new PC,
    anyway I am courios too to understand better...
    It is the same. Significant hardware changes are seen as new PC.

    I moved an license I got from Insider Preview (which never had underlying qualifying Windows install and so no key except a generic one) to a new PC. It worked fine.

    I think @cereberus did some testing on the number of times you can move it before it stops working (3 perhaps) but I can't find the thread so I could be wrong.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 13,697
    Windows10
       #7

    lx07 said:
    It is the same. Significant hardware changes are seen as new PC.

    I moved an license I got from Insider Preview (which never had underlying qualifying Windows install and so no key except a generic one) to a new PC. It worked fine.

    I think @cereberus did some testing on the number of times you can move it before it stops working (3 perhaps) but I can't find the thread so I could be wrong.
    Yeah 3 times - I always recommend activating with a key if you can before using Troubleshooter for this reason.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 668
    Win 10 pro
       #8

    cereberus said:
    Yeah 3 times - I always recommend activating with a key if you can before using Troubleshooter for this reason.
    So to better understand, if I buy a new PC with OEM Win 10 license I can transfer the license
    to, say, a custom build pc with no win license and it's a legit move to do

    do I get it right?

    thanks, roy.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 12,486
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #9

    With Win7 and earlier the OEM version of Windows stayed with the computer. The Retail version could be installed on a Replacement computer, at least once, but could not be used on 2 computers at the same time. Most of my computers are OEM and have been Upgraded from Win7 w/SP1 or Win8.1 to Win10 [took advantage of the free offer] and haven't had a problems but I haven't yet needed to do a clean install where a Product Key was required. I do have 2 Customs but again they were Upgraded to Win10 from Win7 w/SP1.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 171
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #10

    Thanks for the info, lx07.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums