How will Creators Update be "delivered"?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  1. Posts : 589
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #11

    Bree said:
    Odd, it's never asked me for one. I download the MCT, run it and choose 'create media for another PC'. Then you get the choice of making an .iso or a USB media. No ID needed (or asked for) to run the MCT or the install media it creates.
    Well, since I just now did an image, I can try it. Does it know what you want like 64 bit pro or Enterprise Vl, etc?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 25,110
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #12

    When you use the MCT to 'create media for another PC' it will by default use the settings appropriate for your PC ('bits', language etc.) though you can change these if you wish. The one install media can install Home or Pro (I believe the latest media also includes Enterprise and/or Education). You choose which version at install time, not when making the media.

    When you run the MCT you can choose to make media for x86, x64 or both. If you choose both, the iso/USB will be over 6GB. I usually make the combined x86/x64 media (as a USB) so I can install on any machine.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 589
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #13

    Bree said:
    When you use the MCT to 'create media for another PC' it will by default use the settings appropriate for your PC ('bits', language etc.) though you can change these if you wish. The one install media can install Home or Pro (I believe the latest media also includes Enterprise and/or Education). You choose which version at install time, not when making the media.

    When you run the MCT you can choose to make media for x86, x64 or both. If you choose both, the iso/USB will be over 6GB. I usually make the combined x86/x64 media (as a USB) so I can install on any machine.
    Great, but both of the systems I built are 64 bit and have lots of memory. Mine has 16 GB but the one I just built for my wife has 32GB as she never met a window she ever closed.

    Anyway, if I get the ISO now...still use DVD's...will it be downlevel from what may be on MCT in a few weeks as I do not plan on installing until the dust settles somewhat.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 25,110
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #14

    I've just checked the versions in my Creators Update install USB using...
    See Language, Edition, Build, and Architecture of Windows 10 ISO file

    It contains four versions: Home, Pro, Home Single Language, and Education.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 25,110
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #15

    MPSAN said:
    Anyway, if I get the ISO now...still use DVD's...will it be downlevel from what may be on MCT in a few weeks as I do not plan on installing until the dust settles somewhat.
    No, the install media is for 15063.0, the updates will then take that up to the latest build (currently 10563.13). The install media is unlikely to change any time soon. The MCT for 1607 was only updated once to a higher base build, and that was months after the AU was first released.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 1,418
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1 64 bit
       #16

    I downloaded the 64bit ISO last week with the Media Creation tool and it has both Pro and Home. I just mounted the ISO on each system and did the setup.exe and 45 min later I was completely done. During install it asked if I want it to check for updates and it downloaded and installed KB4016251 which pushes the Windows 10 build number to 15063.13. If any more cumulative updates are released you will get them during the install process.

    I have updated 3 systems so far with only a minor problem with the old Window 7 games which I just had to reinstall and all systems are running great.

    Jim
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 589
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #17

    Good info everyone. I did not expect this to go to 2 pages when I started it. I do not see Enterprise VL in the list.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 17,373
    Windows 11 Pro
       #18

    MPSAN said:
    Good info everyone. I did not expect this to go to 2 pages when I started it. I do not see Enterprise VL in the list.
    The Media Creation Tool will download an ISO file with 4 versions of Windows 10 in it:

    Code:
    R:\sources>dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:install.esd
    
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.15063.0
    
    Details for image : install.esd
    
    Index : 1
    Name : Windows 10 Pro
    Description : Windows 10 Pro
    Size : 15,305,539,033 bytes
    
    Index : 2
    Name : Windows 10 Home
    Description : Windows 10 Home
    Size : 15,127,824,725 bytes
    
    Index : 3
    Name : Windows 10 Home Single Language
    Description : Windows 10 Home Single Language
    Size : 15,129,601,869 bytes
    
    Index : 4
    Name : Windows 10 Education
    Description : Windows 10 Education
    Size : 15,125,050,322 bytes
    
    The operation completed successfully.
    Index 4 is Education.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums