1.    02 Mar 2017 #1
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10

    Updating Windows 10 in Audit Mode


    We have a Windows 10 WIM configured with the required software. When I pull down the pre-Syspreped image (which was captured while in Audit Mode), I am unable to use Windows Update to patch the image.
    How are you folks handling the updates to your gold Windows 10 images?
    Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    04 Mar 2017 #2
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,855
    Windows10

    Really does not matter as it will update itself automatically once installed and a user account is setup. This is quite quick due to the cumulative update mechanism.

    This is going to happen even if you install updates or not in audit mode.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    05 Mar 2017 #3
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    No, I disagree. Installing 1511 is not quick.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    05 Mar 2017 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 3,921
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint

    I've not seen Upgrading to Version 1511 nor to Version 1607 to be nearly as quick as the Build updates to those Versions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    06 Mar 2017 #5
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,855
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by mhsyn View Post
    No, I disagree. Installing 1511 is not quick.
    Your reply makes no sense.

    You do not same to understand the difference between a build upgrade and normal updates. They are delivered by different mechanisms.

    Any sysprep image you create has to be a particular build.

    You can slipstream in normal in-build updates to a particular build (those that that change the number after the build decimal point) if you download them offline but it is not that easy, and as I said not really worth it as each time there is a cumulative update, the cumulative update file is downloaded anyway regardless of whether previous updates are installed. The only minor saving of not starting from XXXXX.0 is the intallation may be slightly quicker but this is only a few minutes.

    Build upgrades are delivered in a completely different way, and I cannot see for the life of me why you would start with an older build and slipstream in the build upgrade files and allow the build to autoupgrade afterwards even if you could do it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    06 Mar 2017 #6
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 3,921
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint

    A case in point: the stand-alone download of the 64-bit Build 14393.693 update is just a bit over 1GB while the stand-alone download of Build 14393.442 Upgrade is just over 4GB. The 32-bit bit files are a bit smaller, update is about 900MB and the Upgrade is just under 4GB. It's all in the details, Win10 Upgrading or updating is more complicated that previous versions of Windows in getting the terms correct. Obviously some downloads will take more time and the users Internet connection speed affects it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    06 Mar 2017 #7
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,941
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quoting a reply I posted in another thread last night:

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I have to say I don't know about that.

    As I mentioned I don't use ISO method to deploy, even on my home network I apply images with DISM. This makes updating image relatively easy and fast; I create a standard Hyper-V checkpoint on my technician VM just before sysprepping and occasionally just apply the checkpoint, run Windows Update and update installed software like browsers and Office, then remove all installers and run Disk Clean-up to remove temp files, sysprep again and capture new install.wim to replace my old one.

    Although Windows Update works in Audit Mode, build and feature upgrades do not work. When I want to upgrade my image I sysprep it once with /generalize, /oobe and /reboot switches, create a dummy local admin account in OOBE, sign in to desktop to upgrade for instance with latest Insider build, when done run sysprep with /audit and /reboot switches to boot back to Audit Mode, remove the dummy user and its profile folder, remove all installers and run Disk Clean-up to remove temp files, sysprep again and capture new install.wim to replace my old one.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    06 Mar 2017 #8
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,855
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Quoting a reply I posted in another thread last night:
    That reply explains how to update an oobe install upgrade very well.

    Basically confirms my earlier point that you cannot upgrade directly in audit mode - you have to upgrade in normal mode, then oobe - I more or less do the same thing with macrium and viboot, except I do not bother deleting the local account from oobe version, just simply changing it to an MS account later.

    Of course, your method is cleaner though .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    06 Mar 2017 #9
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,941
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    That reply explains how to update an oobe install upgrade very well.

    Basically confirms my earlier point that you cannot upgrade directly in audit mode - you have to upgrade in normal mode, then oobe - I more or less do the same thing with macrium and viboot, except I do not bother deleting the local account from oobe version, just simply changing it to an MS account later.

    Of course, your method is cleaner though .
    Deleting existing user accounts when returning to Audit Mode after a build or feature upgrade as mentioned in that post I quoted is of course not necessary if and when the image is for your personal use only. The thread where I posted that is however about how to do this in corporate network environment, deploying to 100 laptops and possibly re-deploying an upgraded image when next LTSB version will be released.

    When doing this for your own private deployment image keeping existing user accounts there are additional steps required because when sysprepping Windows installation with existing user accounts, active user accounts lose Start and Cortana / Search functionality due Windows SID / GUID being changed. Therefore for you and other private users, disabling all user accounts before sysprep is strongly recommended:

    1. Upgrade Windows in normal mode
    2. Run net user Administrator /active:yes in elevated Command Prompt
    3. Sign out from all user accounts
    4. Sign in to built-in admin
    5. Run net user USERNAME /active:no in elevated Command Prompt to disable each existing user account
    6. Restart to Audit Mode with %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /audit /reboot
    7. When in Audit Mode, change / add / remove what you want to / need to
    8. Run Disk Clean-up
    9. Place your answer file unattend.xml in %windir%\system32\sysprep\ folder
    10. Run %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe
    11. Boot from WinPE, capture the image
    12. Boot from HDD, let Windows go through OOBE
    13. In OOBE you must create a new admin user, use any temporary name (can't use names of existing users even when they are disabled)
    14. When on desktop activate your old existing users with net user USERNAME /active:yes in elevated Command Prompt
    15. Sign out from temporary admin user, sign in to your old admin user
    16. Remove the temporary admin user

    Repeat steps 13 through 16 on each machine you deploy this image. Steps 2 through 5 and 13 through 16 are not required if all existing users will be removed in Audit Mode.

    Sounds and looks more complicated than what it is

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    07 Mar 2017 #10
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,855
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Deleting existing user accounts when returning to Audit Mode after a build or feature upgrade as mentioned in that post I quoted is of course not necessary if and when the image is for your personal use only. The thread where I posted that is however about how to do this in corporate network environment, deploying to 100 laptops and possibly re-deploying an upgraded image when next LTSB version will be released.

    When doing this for your own private deployment image keeping existing user accounts there are additional steps required because when sysprepping Windows installation with existing user accounts, active user accounts lose Start and Cortana / Search functionality due Windows SID / GUID being changed. Therefore for you and other private users, disabling all user accounts before sysprep is strongly recommended:

    1. Upgrade Windows in normal mode
    2. Run net user Administrator /active:yes in elevated Command Prompt
    3. Sign out from all user accounts
    4. Sign in to built-in admin
    5. Run net user USERNAME /active:no in elevated Command Prompt to disable each existing user account
    6. Restart to Audit Mode with %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /audit /reboot
    7. When in Audit Mode, change / add / remove what you want to / need to
    8. Run Disk Clean-up
    9. Place your answer file unattend.xml in %windir%\system32\sysprep\ folder
    10. Run %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe
    11. Boot from WinPE, capture the image
    12. Boot from HDD, let Windows go through OOBE
    13. In OOBE you must create a new admin user, use any temporary name (can't use names of existing users even when they are disabled)
    14. When on desktop activate your old existing users with net user USERNAME /active:yes in elevated Command Prompt
    15. Sign out from temporary admin user, sign in to your old admin user
    16. Remove the temporary admin user

    Repeat steps 13 through 16 on each machine you deploy this image. Steps 2 through 5 and 13 through 16 are not required if all existing users will be removed in Audit Mode.

    Sounds and looks more complicated than what it is

    Kari
    Thanks - I was unaware of the search issue as I rarely use it anyway, or I search from from file explorer (force of habit).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Installation & Upgrade Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep
First a quote from Microsoft TechNet: Understanding Audit Mode: The Audit Mode, although originally intended to be used in corporate environment in preparing Windows images for deployment (a fancy geek word ;), installing same image on multiple...
Tutorials
Audit Mode going into OOBE
Hello all, Why is it that when I am in audit mode and I set my .theme package, I then OOBE out, and it deletes the theme that I installed? Do I need to add the theme to an unattended XML file?
Installation and Upgrade
Prepare Windows in Audit mode and clone it to smaller harddrive
I need to install and configure Windows 10 on my customer's computer, but I will not have much time, so I want to prepare configured Windows with applications installed and only extract image into harddrive. I don't have access to target computer...
Installation and Upgrade
Trouble with Windows 10 system image - made with sysprep & audit mode
I followed this great tutorial an creating a custom Windows 10 image: Windows 10 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep - Windows 10 Forums Everything worked great and I put the image on several computers and all seemed to be working great...
Installation and Upgrade
Customize in Audit Mode
I customized my Windows 10 in Audit Mode and created a answer file by the Windows System Image Manager. CopyProfile in the answer file is set on true In the customization I removed the Edge browser Icon and the Windows Store from the Task bar. I...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums