Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
  1.    19 Feb 2017 #91
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 68
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Bree View Post
    Are you doing the upgrade from a .iso? That's an install disk, you could burn it to a DVD and boot from that.

    Or you could use the Media Creation Tool to make bootable USB install media.

    Or you could make a Recovery Drive on a sufficiently large USB, then mount the .iso and copy the files from it to the recovery USB. Boot to a command prompt and run Setup.
    I'm trying to update from a 4.42GB .iso file. I guess I don't have a burner program so I will go online to find a free one. The Media Creation Tool just wants to run the update when I double click on it. And double clicking on the .iso file causes the program to ask what app I want to use to open it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    19 Feb 2017 #92
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,484
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

    Quote Originally Posted by David49 View Post
    I don't have a burner program...
    In Windows 10 you do, it's File Explorer. Right-click on .iso and pick 'burn disc image'.

    The Media Creation Tool just wants to run the update when I double click on it.
    See option one - at step 8. choose 'USB flash drive'.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...d.html#option1

    And double clicking on the .iso file causes the program to ask what app I want to use to open it.
    The app to choose is 'Windows Explorer', if you don't see it in the list click the 'find an app on this PC' and pick C:\Windows\explorer.exe, this will mount the .iso as a virtual DVD drive.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    19 Feb 2017 #93
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 68
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Right-clicking on the .iso file does not give burn disc image as an option.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    19 Feb 2017 #94
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 68
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Well, anyway, what you suggest is a good idea. I will work on it, although it might take a lot of time.Thanks for weighing in.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    20 Feb 2017 #95
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 68
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Ok, I figured out how to make a bootable installation disk from the Windows.iso. I rebooted with the dvd install disk and tried to do a clean install. I got the error: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.

    I have no idea what this means. Since I already have Win 10 installed, this makes no sense to me. Does it help my cause?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    20 Feb 2017 #96
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Posts : 1,391
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15

    Quote Originally Posted by David49 View Post
    Ok, I figured out how to make a bootable installation disk from the Windows.iso. I rebooted with the dvd install disk and tried to do a clean install. I got the error: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.

    I have no idea what this means. Since I already have Win 10 installed, this makes no sense to me. Does it help my cause?
    I'm going to let someone else answer the EFI question - but just to check - do you have a backup of the system in its current state? As a clean install deletes everything I'd always want to have a backup in case I needed to roll back. Also you'll have to reinstall any software and copy data back from your backup.

    This doesn't apply if you've disconnected the disk and are using a spare Hard disk as suggested, although it never does any harm to have a good backup.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    20 Feb 2017 #97
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 68
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I'm going to let someone else answer the EFI question - but just to check - do you have a backup of the system in its current state? As a clean install deletes everything I'd always want to have a backup in case I needed to roll back. Also you'll have to reinstall any software and copy data back from your backup.

    This doesn't apply if you've disconnected the disk and are using a spare Hard disk as suggested, although it never does any harm to have a good backup.
    Thank you. Yes, I just backed up my system today with Paragon, and Acronis.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    20 Feb 2017 #98
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,949
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by David49 View Post
    I have no idea what this means. Since I already have Win 10 installed, this makes no sense to me. Does it help my cause?
    Extremely simplified explanation:

    It means that your computer has the older legacy BIOS (Basic Input / Output System) instead of newer UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface). BIOS mostly uses so called MBR (Master Boot Record) disk partitioning system, whereas UEFI uses GPT partitioning (GUID partition Table).

    BIOS or UEFI are the first ones to start working when you boot a computer. They run POST (Power On Self Test) to check that all hardware components work before telling Windows (or any other operating system) that the computer is now ready to start OS.

    As both MBR and GPT handle boot records and partitions differently, boot media (disk or device PC is booted from) must be compatible with both systems or at least with the system of the computer the boot media will be used. Apparently you have created a boot media that is only UEFI / GPT compatible and therefore cannot be used to boot a BIOS / MBR machine.

    Please redo your Windows install media as told in this tutorial: USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10

    Options One and Two in the above mentioned tutorial will make a boot media compatible with both BIOS / MBR and UEFI / GPT systems. I recommend you to select Option Three, it's the easiest one. It only makes a BIOS / MBR boot device but that's exactly what you need.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    20 Feb 2017 #99
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 68
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Extremely simplified explanation:

    It means that your computer has the older legacy BIOS (Basic Input / Output System) instead of newer UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface). BIOS mostly uses so called MBR (Master Boot Record) disk partitioning system, whereas UEFI uses GPT partitioning (GUID partition Table).

    BIOS or UEFI are the first ones to start working when you boot a computer. They run POST (Power On Self Test) to check that all hardware components work before telling Windows (or any other operating system) that the computer is now ready to start OS.

    As both MBR and GPT handle boot records and partitions differently, boot media (disk or device PC is booted from) must be compatible with both systems or at least with the system of the computer the boot media will be used. Apparently you have created a boot media that is only UEFI / GPT compatible and therefore cannot be used to boot a BIOS / MBR machine.

    Please redo your Windows install media as told in this tutorial: USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10

    Options One and Two in the above mentioned tutorial will make a boot media compatible with both BIOS / MBR and UEFI / GPT systems. I recommend you to select Option Three, it's the easiest one. It only makes a BIOS / MBR boot device but that's exactly what you need.

    Kari
    Thanks very much. I'm working on it now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    20 Feb 2017 #100
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 68
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    BTW, while the disk is burning, Will this DVD support installation to a HDD in a USB enclosure? If it will do that, it would save me removing my HDD from this computer. It's a 27" monitor with the computer and all components behind the screen.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Problems after Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607
104210104211 After applying this update I found a number of problems. The most disturbing was that all restore points had been deleted and that system protection had been turned off. I also found that Microsoft Games for Windows 8 v1.2 no longer...
General Support
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 problems
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194496) Three days ago my desktop tried to update 1607 3 times. Each time on reboot it says failed to update and reverts. Each day it tries again at shutdown. Yesterday...
Windows Updates and Activation
Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607 - WHY 3+ GIGS?
Hey, ??? I'm just getting a Windows update now (ca. 10:13 AM Brisbane Australia) - my laptop screen suddenly went black and when things reappeared, previously-open windows were misaligned and differently sized. The Windows Settings box which...
Windows Updates and Activation
Feature update to Windows 10 Education, version 1607, Error 0x8000ffff
Feature update just became available today for us. Out of 4 laptops its failed on 4. W10 1507 education has been running for a few weeks. Updates to 1507 were working fine. Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with...
Windows Updates and Activation
Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607 - Error 0xc1900204
The issue in short is in the title. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607 - Error 0xc1900204 The update does not seems to install. Any fix to this issue? :(
Windows Updates and Activation
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:18.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums