Windows 10: Quickest/Easiest way to upgrade Windows 10 to the latest version

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    23 Feb 2017 #11

    Whatever version you are on will be upgraded to the most recent from here:

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    23 Feb 2017 #12

    I go out and get the latest ISO from Microsoft. Then, I use the WSUS offline updater, WSUS Offline Update - Update Microsoft Windows and Office without an Internet connection, and then I use NTlite to slip stream those updates into the media and kick out a new ISO and I build my image off that. I create a new disc about once per year.

    Basically this process.

    How to Slipstream Windows 10: Create up to date Windows 10 ISO files with all available Windows updates - WinBuzzer
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    24 Feb 2017 #13

    Easiest way is to install latest iso in a vm, boot to audit mode and full update, then syprep the install to generalise and oobe the installation, then backup the vm using an image backup tool. Then you simply restore the image to other pcs.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    24 Feb 2017 #14

    cereberus said: View Post
    Easiest way is to install latest iso in a vm, boot to audit mode and full update, then syprep the install to generalise and oobe the installation, then backup the vm using an image backup tool. Then you simply restore the image to other pcs.
    If I understand what you're suggesting, this won't work for an in-place upgrade of the build/version. Yes, it'll work for creating an image and rolling out new machines. If you read the first post, you'll see I've done that before. In this case, we want to upgrade isolated systems from build-10240 to build-14393 - just like you would with Windows Updates.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    24 Feb 2017 #15

    pparks1 said: View Post
    I go out and get the latest ISO from Microsoft. Then, I use the WSUS offline updater, WSUS Offline Update - Update Microsoft Windows and Office without an Internet connection, and then I use NTlite to slip stream those updates into the media and kick out a new ISO and I build my image off that. I create a new disc about once per year.

    Basically this process.

    How to Slipstream Windows 10: Create up to date Windows 10 ISO files with all available Windows updates - WinBuzzer
    I create a new ISO yearly as well but, I'm trying to reproduce the effects of WIndows Updates on an isolated system and roll them from build-10240 to build-14393 - without a reimage.
    Last edited by RKillCrazy; 27 Feb 2017 at 09:00.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    24 Feb 2017 #16

    Bobby Phoenix said: View Post
    Whatever version you are on will be upgraded to the most recent from here:

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
    This option (Media Creation Tool) does not work for Enterprise or Education licenses.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 5,406
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint
       24 Feb 2017 #17

    I am now doing the Offline Upgrade from Win10 10240 Home to Win10 Version 1607 Build 14393 on a Notebook with only a 32GB SSD, requires an additional 10+GB space so am using a 8GB USB drive built from the https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 page with a second 16GB USB drive. So far the Version looks like it will be 1607 Build 14393.0 so will have some updates to do to get to Version 1607 Build 14393.693. Will have to get the young owner a 32GB MicroSDXC card for the Notebook.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    24 Feb 2017 #18

    Berton said: View Post
    I am now doing the Offline Upgrade from Win10 10240 Home to Win10 Version 1607 Build 14393 on a Notebook with only a 32GB SSD, requires an additional 10+GB space so am using a 8GB USB drive built from the https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 page with a second 16GB USB drive. So far the Version looks like it will be 1607 Build 14393.0 so will have some updates to do to get to Version 1607 Build 14393.693. Will have to get the young owner a 32GB MicroSDXC card for the Notebook.
    You have a home version so, using the link you provided works just fine. Enterprise & Education licenses are different... In any case, once everything looks good on your loadout, be sure to run the disk cleanup utility - with admin rights - to clean up the files that were backed up during the upgrade from 10240 to 14393.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 8,848
    10 Home x64 (1809) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       24 Feb 2017 #19

    RKillCrazy said: View Post
    So, my question is this: How does one bring a system up to date quickly? Can a series of cumulative updates be installed - in a certain order - to get the OS up to date? With a system already in place but isolated (no web access or access to WSUS), how does one update the system to take advantage of the later builds and their improvements/features? Again, there are no Service Packs...

    I know it seems like a strange question and a strange scenario. After all, who has a system that can't reach the update servers? However, standalone systems do still exist - even against my recommendations - and, they should be not be left out when MS releases updates, fixes & new features.
    @RKillCrazy,

    There have been three versions of Windows 10, the original launch 10240 (1507), the Fall Update (1511) and the Anniversary Update (1607). We are anticipating the Creators Update (1704?) in May.

    To bring a machine up to date there at only two things you need: an iso or USB of the latest version, the latest cumulative update - and nothing else. You do not have to step up through the versions (a new version has everything the old one had, but with new features) or install a sequence of updates ('cumulative' means it contains all previous patches).

    The iso/USB you can download from Microsoft with the Media Creation Tool. Make sure you download the latest MCT, the iso it downloads is hard-coded into the MCT so an older one will fetch an old iso. The current one looks like it will download 1607 OS build 14393.591
    Windows 10 ISO Download

    If you have internet access, just check for updates and windows update will download the latest cumulative update. Currently that take you to build 14393.693.

    For your 'isolated' machines, download the standalone cumulative update from the Microsoft Update Catalog. Look up the KB number of the CU, 14393.693 is KB3213986.
    Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 update history
    ...then search for it by KB number in the Update Catalog.
    http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    24 Feb 2017 #20

    Bree said: View Post
    For your 'isolated' machines, download the standalone cumulative update from the Microsoft Update Catalog. Look up the KB number of the CU, 14393.693 is KB3213986.
    Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 update history
    ...then search for it by KB number in the Update Catalog.
    http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx

    Still no joy...
    I knew one doesn't need to step it up to 1511 and then 1607. With the ISO I made, I was able to skip right over 1511 and right to 1607. In any case, I loaded up a build 10240 VM and dropped the file you recommended I download but, as you can see in my screen-shot, it fails to install.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VirtualBox_Win10_24_02_2017_20_34_47.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	122654
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
From here: How to enable AirPrint for Windows Seems like they updated the zip package. I had been having trouble because I have an ancient Brother HL-1230 LaserJet printer, the drivers require NTVDM (16 bit support). I had to use the drivers...
I have my key number but would like to perform a fresh installation. I originally installed W10 on top of W7 but still have some problems. A fresh install should solve this. Thank you.
My buddy built me a PC a while ago with Windows 7 at the time. Should I upgrade to Win 10 while it's still free? I have a SSD that has Win7 on it and a HDD as well. If you recommend that I do upgrade, how do I do it, I'm not familiar with this....
I blurred the Product ID as I think its safe to do so. Do I have the latest version of win 10? I see people have "Ask me anything" in the taskbar but I dont have. http://i68.tinypic.com/op5xsp.png Thanks!!! :)
My version is Build 10240 pushed to me from MS. I have it on a desktop Pc and a Thinkpad 450. Theres is a lot of errors in the eventviewer on both Pc's and it is the same errors. About 8 perflib errors when starting up and a lot of ESENT errors...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43.
Find Us