Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
  1.    1 Week Ago #61
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 13
    Windows 10.0 Home Build 10240

    Hi. Doing this will will turn off automatic updates on your PC. Just go to start menu>type 'services'>look for a service called 'windows update' and double click on it>if it's already running stop it and put its startup type to 'disabled'.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    1 Week Ago #62
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Posts : 336
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Bree View Post
    Welcome to TenForums!

    The easiest way to stop Windows downloading and installing updates automatically is to set your internet connection as a Metered Connection. Windows will still check for updates automatically, but won't download them until you click a 'Download' button. It's easy to set a WiFi connection as metered.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

    For Ethernet there's no option in Settings, but you can set it to Metered Connection in the registry.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

    As a trucker on the move, how do you connect to the internet? A 3G/4G dongle? These should be 'metered connection' by default. Apparently a few dongles seem to come with drivers that make them appear to Windows as Ethernet connections, if so the second tutorial should help.

    If you move from one WiFi hotspot to the next, each one has to be individually set as 'metered' as the default for WiFi is 'not metered'. That default could be changed in the registry, same way as for Ethernet.
    I have a set monthly price for internet. If I change to a metered connection, will I be charged more?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    1 Week Ago #63
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts : 1,807
    Windows 10 Pro x64 FCU - XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing

    The only reason for this option is to prevent Updates from using up your limited internet access when it is not convenient to you, it will not change the contract you have with your ISP,

    Also eventually if the updates are not downloaded then your system could become unsupported, so it is in your interest to find some alternate way to download updates With a laptop this could be an occasional visit to a Free unlimited wi-fi store/library/school Etc
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    1 Week Ago #64
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,488
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I have a set monthly price for internet. If I change to a metered connection, will I be charged more?
    Setting a metered connection just changes how Windows uses your connection and reduces the amount of data you'll download. Your ISP will just see you using less data, that's all.

    A metered connection stops background processes using your bandwidth, such as Spotlight which won't download new pictures over a metered connection. Also, windows update will not automatically download most updates. Instead, when you check for updates it will say there are updates available, but won't download them unless you click its 'Download' button.

    It's now your choice when to download, if you're near your data cap you could choose to wait until the next month to get your updates. Or find another free WiFi connection to get them now.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FCU download updates over metered connections.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	162548
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    1 Week Ago #65
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Posts : 336
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Bree View Post
    Setting a metered connection just changes how Windows uses your connection and reduces the amount of data you'll download. Your ISP will just see you using less data, that's all.

    A metered connection stops background processes using your bandwidth, such as Spotlight which won't download new pictures over a metered connection. Also, windows update will not automatically download most updates. Instead, when you check for updates it will say there are updates available, but won't download them unless you click its 'Download' button.

    It's now your choice when to download, if you're near your data cap you could choose to wait until the next month to get your updates. Or find another free WiFi connection to get them now.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FCU download updates over metered connections.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	162548
    I just want MS to stop installing updates that I don't want. It keeps installing video driver over my manufacture driver.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    1 Week Ago #66
    Join Date : Sep 2017
    Posts : 91
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post

    I just want MS to stop installing updates that I don't want. It keeps installing video driver over my manufacture driver.
    Have you tried this? It may help.

    Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    1 Week Ago #67
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Posts : 336
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Runnerbean View Post
    Yes I have.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    1 Week Ago #68
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,488
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Yes I have.
    Tried option three or four here?

    Enable or Disable Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
How to Prevent automatic restart in Windows 10 Anniversary Update?
Now that microsoft has removed the ability to force windows 10 to ask to be scheduled and given that "active hours" is a broken concept that doesn't solve any problem, how can I prevent windows from automatically restarting again? Is the only...
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved Does disabling automatic Win Updates include automatic Device Driver?
Hi, all: 1) Does setting Windows Updates to "notify for download and notify for install" via GP edit also disable Device Driver automatic installation? 2) Or does disabling automatic device driver installation need to be configured separately?...
Windows Updates and Activation
Prevent Automatic Upgrade to Windows 10
I support a large community of seniors. Typically I have them running Automatic Updates, because they don't want to do their own maintenance. The most common complaint they come in with is there computers are really slow. It usually turns out...
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved How do I prevent automatic window resizing?
In Windows 7, I knew how to turn off the annoying (to me) feature that windows were automatically maximized when moved to the edge of the screen. This option no longer seems to be present in the 'ease of access' settings. Any idea if it can still be...
General Support
Prevent the automatic downloading of its updates
Hi In Windows 10 build 10130, how do I prevent the automatic downloading of its updates? Thanks Bye
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums