Windows 10: Changed laptop's HDD to SSD, want to transfer windows 10 key Solved

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    09 Dec 2016 #1

    Changed laptop's HDD to SSD, want to transfer windows 10 key


    I'm typing this on the laptop right now. HDD it came with was the slowest hard drive I've ever encountered in my life, so I've swapped it out for a snappy SSD. Rather than cloning it to the SSD, I did a clean install, because I don't want all of acer's bloatware.

    I've read that my laptop must have come with a Win 10 OEM key, and that those aren't transferable between different systems. Because this is the same system, with only a different hard drive, will it work? And how do I do it if I can?

    I'm using unlicensed windows 10 right now, and I'm wondering if I can use the key that my original hard drive still has on it.

    Of course the laptop didn't come with a key on the bottom, or in the manuals, like older versions of windows did.

    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    09 Dec 2016 #2

    How did you install the unlicensed Windows 10?

    Please post the results of showkey plus from this forum. Click on the product keys to blank them out before posting:
    ShowKeyPlus - Windows 10 Forums



    Also, right click on the start icon, select Command Prompt (Admin). In the Command Prompt window run:

    slmgr /dlv

    Please post the result that should look like this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	113026
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    09 Dec 2016 #3

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    How did you install the unlicensed Windows 10?

    Please post the results of showkey plus from this forum. Click on the product keys to blank them out before posting:
    ShowKeyPlus - Windows 10 Forums



    Also, right click on the start icon, select Command Prompt (Admin). In the Command Prompt window run:

    slmgr /dlv

    Please post the result that should look like this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	113026
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (1).png 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	113032
    This first image, above, is the licensed copy, which I assume you were asking for.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (5).png 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	113033This second screenshot is of the unlicensed copy.

    I installed this copy to the SSD by downloading the windows 10 media device files to a flash drive, and booting from there.

    I didn't realize that what I had to begin with was home, and not pro. But that's okay.

    Thanks for replying, and sorry if mine was late.
    Last edited by JoshieWashua; 09 Dec 2016 at 22:24. Reason: Added thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    09 Dec 2016 #4

    You installed Windows 10 Pro. You are only entitled to Windows 10 Home. That is why it won't activate. You have to reinstall Windows 10 Home. Make sure it is not the single language edition or the N edition. Just plain Windows 10, but Home instead of Pro.

    The plain Windows 10 ISO download from Microsoft contains both Home and Pro.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    09 Dec 2016 #5

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    You installed Windows 10 Pro. You are only entitled to Windows 10 Home. That is why it won't activate. You have to reinstall Windows 10 Home. Make sure it is not the single language edition or the N edition. Just plain Windows 10, but Home instead of Pro.
    The plain Windows 10 ISO download from Microsoft contains both Home and Pro.
    So if I install home, then when it asks for a key, I use the OEM key that keyfinder gives me, windows will be licensed and working?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    09 Dec 2016 #6

    JoshieWashua said: View Post
    So if I install home, then when it asks for a key, I use the OEM key that keyfinder gives me, windows will be licensed and working?
    Yes, it should be.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    10 Dec 2016 #7

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Yes, it should be.
    Alright, I'll give it a shot. Thank you so much
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    10 Dec 2016 #8

    JoshieWashua said: View Post
    Alright, I'll give it a shot. Thank you so much
    You won't be prompted for key entry - Windows will auto install Home from an iso file that has Home included.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    10 Dec 2016 #9

    Superfly said: View Post
    You won't be prompted for key entry - Windows will auto install Home from an iso file that has Home included.
    Which had me wondering the whole time how the OP ended up with Windows 10 Pro installed.... Windows setup should have detected the product key for Home and not gave the choice to install Pro. Unless it was build 10240 Pro they had downloaded.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    10 Dec 2016 #10

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Which had me wondering the whole time how the OP ended up with Windows 10 Pro installed.... Windows setup should have detected the product key for Home and not gave the choice to install Pro. Unless it was build 10240 Pro they had downloaded.
    You're right, this time it never asked me for a code, or which version, it says that windows home is activated with a digital license linked to my account. Thank you!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Haven't done this in a while, and would greatly appreciate any info on how to transfer my old Windows 7 preferences, contacts and settings to a new W10 laptop. The new laptop has a 256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD I think the data files can be copied...
Since I updated my laptop to Windows 10 I can no longer transfer my photos from my phone to my Toshiba laptop using the USB port. It used to come up as an external drive and then I could simply view and download photos.. Do I need to do something...
Hello, I bought a laptop for a client, wiped and formatted the hard drive that had Windows 8.1 Home. Installed Windows 10 Pro. And activated it with a purchased key. When I started working on it, there were a lot of issues, and a defective touch...
transfer laptop photos in General Support
please help me. My laptop has a fan problem, so I need to transfer my photos to a memory stick. In my old windows I could easily "send to" any photo and transfer it to a disc or memory stick, but I am so lost and frustrated on the new windows...
I just bought the Asus Zenbook and when I opened it it asked me if I wanted to install Windows 10, I did, but now for some reason it won't let me log-in telling me that the password I am using is wrong. I used the same password I had used to log-in...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:13.
Find Us