Windows 10: Windows key "recovery" question

  1.    27 Nov 2016 #1

    Windows key "recovery" question


    I bought a HP Elitedesk 800 G1 PC a while ago that the original owner downgraded from Win 8 pro 64 bit to Win 7 pro 32 bit. I then upgraded to Win 10 during the freebie upgrade period and got stuck with Win 10 pro 32 bit. At the time I thought my only option to get 64 bit was to either buy a Win 10 pro 64 bit key or downgrade to Win 7 64 bit using a spare key I had. I did the latter. I then upgraded to win 10 pro 64 bit.

    I tried to "recover" the Win 7 pro 64 bit key by using ShowKeyPlus to identify the original Win 8 pro 64 bit and using the OEM Win 8 key to "re-activate" the install. Unfortunately the PC still shows the Win 7 key as the "Original Key".

    The question is it possible to recover my Win 7 pro key?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    27 Nov 2016 #2

    busaboyz said: View Post
    I bought a HP Elitedesk 800 G1 PC a while ago that the original owner downgraded from Win 8 pro 64 bit to Win 7 pro 32 bit. I then upgraded to Win 10 during the freebie upgrade period and got stuck with Win 10 pro 32 bit. At the time I thought my only option to get 64 bit was to either buy a Win 10 pro 64 bit key or downgrade to Win 7 64 bit using a spare key I had. I did the latter. I then upgraded to win 10 pro 64 bit.

    I tried to "recover" the Win 7 pro 64 bit key by using ShowKeyPlus to identify the original Win 8 pro 64 bit and using the OEM Win 8 key to "re-activate" the install. Unfortunately the PC still shows the Win 7 key as the "Original Key".

    The question is it possible to recover my Win 7 pro key?
    If you are asking about the Windows 7 Pro 32-bit product key from your first sentence, the answer is no. You erased all traces of it when you installed Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with a different product key.

    BTW: The same product key will work for both the 32-bit and 64-bit version of Windows
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    27 Nov 2016 #3

    Just trying to recover the 2nd Win 7 key I used to downgrade, not the one the original owner used.

    I should have added that I originally tried to use the Win 7 key that ProduKey x64 indicated but it didn't work when I tried to activate the new Win 7 pro 64 bit install. So I had to use a spare key.

    I realize now I screwed up by not wiping the disk and started a fresh install of Win 10 and then use the Win 8 OEM key. Of course I'm unsure if this would have worked at the time.
    Last edited by busaboyz; 27 Nov 2016 at 12:03.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    27 Nov 2016 #4

    It would probably help to see what exactly showkey is displaying. Click on the product keys to blank them out:

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    27 Nov 2016 #5

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-11-27_171420.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	111651

    Here is the info
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    27 Nov 2016 #6

    busaboyz said: View Post
    Here is the info
    So, you've got a product key for Windows 7 Pro, Windows 8 Pro, and the generic for Windows 10 Pro. You can download ISOs for Windows 7 and Windows 8 here:

    Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool

    You will have to use phone activation for the Windows 7 for sure. Just because it won't activate automatically on line does not mean the product key is no good.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    27 Nov 2016 #7

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    So, you've got a product key for Windows 7 Pro, Windows 8 Pro, and the generic for Windows 10 Pro.
    The question is can I use the Win 7 key for a different PC?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    27 Nov 2016 #8

    busaboyz said: View Post
    The question is can I use the Win 7 key for a different PC?
    Oh, good point. It's OEM, so it isn't supposed to be moved from the first computer installed on per the User's Agreement.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Hi... Back in the Windows 7 days, I remember there use to be a "Admin Command Prompt" command or code that would give the user complete control of all the operation system. Does anyone know if here is such a command for windows 10. If there is...
Hello! I'm trying to reset my PC in hopes that it will fix some issues i'm having with games, however whenever I try to reset my PC it says "Could not find the recovery environment". It says to insert my windows installation or recovery media, but...
I'm trying to create a recovery for my Windows 10, and during the process I get an error saying that: "We can't create the recovery drive: A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive." With some searching, I found that a common way to fix...
Hi So my sister's Windows 8.1 laptop's hard drive is broken... with her OS on it. I'm getting her a new hard drive (internal) which I will fit, but it seems pointless to buy windows all over again when she still owns it. I was thinking I could...
Hi there Is there any way to create an actual Windows 10 recovery drive with the latest builds (10166 / 10240). I usually have enough backups but if I'm mucking around altering partitions etc it might be easier to use a Recovery drive to fix...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:55.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums