Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    04 Nov 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 96
    win 7/10

    win10 oem


    Purchaced a OEM DVD of win10 --I am not sure what to look for when looking for the product code. I am accustomed to seeing 4 sets of 5 numbers but do not see the set on this package.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    04 Nov 2016 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 804
    Windows 10 Home

    An OEM DVD can be used to recover your present PC to it's orig state. It may also incl optional mfr software and drivers. It's key is tied to your orig device and can't be used on another one, thus no product key. If you bought a retail Win 10 DVD, it would have a key that can be installed on one device at any given time, thus transferable.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    04 Nov 2016 #3
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,413
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mrgeek View Post
    An OEM DVD can be used to recover your present PC to it's orig state. It may also incl optional mfr software and drivers. It's key is tied to your orig device and can't be used on another one, thus no product key. If you bought a retail Win 10 DVD, it would have a key that can be installed on one device at any given time, thus transferable.
    That is incorrect.

    When buying valid OEM or System Builder version of Windows 10 from a respectable vendor, it comes with a product key (like this one) and can be used to clean install Windows 10 to a new PC that has never had any version of Windows installed.

    The difference to Retail version is that the license is not transferable; when once activated on certain hardware it can only be used on same hardware.

    In OP's case, if the DVD is genuine and vendor honest, it's the vendor who should provide the product key. As far as I have understood genuine Windows 10 is only available as software download or USB, the OEM and retail boxes only containing the product key or in case of USB also the install media.

    In genuine Windows 10 OEM boxes product key sticker is clearly visible.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    04 Nov 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 804
    Windows 10 Home

    Sorry if I misunderstood the op's post. I was under the impression that by OEM, he meant the recovery dvd, a hard copy of the recovery drive which would be wiped in a clean install or if he made a usb copy.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    09 Dec 2016 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 16
    W10

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    When buying valid OEM or System Builder version of Windows 10 from a respectable vendor, it comes with a product key (like this one) and can be used to clean install Windows 10 to a new PC that has never had any version of Windows installed.
    The difference to Retail version is that the license is not transferable; when once activated on certain hardware it can only be used on same hardware.
    In OP's case, if the DVD is genuine and vendor honest, it's the vendor who should provide the product key. As far as I have understood genuine Windows 10 is only available as software download or USB, the OEM and retail boxes only containing the product key or in case of USB also the install media.

    In genuine Windows 10 OEM boxes product key sticker is clearly visible.
    Kari
    I recently purchased this item from this retailer:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ome_10_64.html
    The DVD arrived in a legitimate-looking envelope with a COA sticker, red warning tape with text saying (if you open this envelope you agree to the license terms... blah, blah) etc.
    However nowhere on the outer envelope or on the inner envelope can I find a product key. There are several bar codes with numeric codes under them. Is one of those the product key? In all my past Windows purchases the product key is blatantly displayed on a yellow sticker with bold letters proclaiming "PRODUCT KEY". That sort of sticker is not present on my product.
    Any ideas?

    EDIT: I found another thread online with this image of the COA sticker:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	win10coa-sticker.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	113019
    My disc came with that sticker, but the product key is covered with some scratch-off gray stuff to hide it. DUH. There's even a little "key" icon next to it. Double-DUH. Nowhere does it say "product key" like it used to though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    10 Dec 2016 #6

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran28 View Post
    I recently purchased this item from this retailer:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ome_10_64.html
    The DVD arrived in a legitimate-looking envelope with a COA sticker, red warning tape with text saying (if you open this envelope you agree to the license terms... blah, blah) etc.
    However nowhere on the outer envelope or on the inner envelope can I find a product key. There are several bar codes with numeric codes under them. Is one of those the product key? In all my past Windows purchases the product key is blatantly displayed on a yellow sticker with bold letters proclaiming "PRODUCT KEY". That sort of sticker is not present on my product.
    Any ideas?

    EDIT: I found another thread online with this image of the COA sticker:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	win10coa-sticker.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	113019
    My disc came with that sticker, but the product key is covered with some scratch-off gray stuff to hide it. DUH. There's even a little "key" icon next to it. Double-DUH. Nowhere does it say "product key" like it used to though.
    You are hijacking a solved thread...but anyway - that site seems dubious - no money-back/paypal guarantee?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    10 Dec 2016 #7
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts : 1,636
    Windows 10 Pro x64 - XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing

    Due to my involvement in Photography I am well aware of B&H Photovideo, The largest independent Photo/Tech store in the USA. If you have any issues or concerns - Contact them and they should sort the issue out quickly
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    10 Dec 2016 #8
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,034
    Windows 10 Pro

    I agree with Barman58. B&H Photovideo is an extremely reputable large retailer with a huge physical store in New York City.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    10 Dec 2016 #9

    K guys, B&H is all good, but why the dud DVD?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    10 Dec 2016 #10
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts : 1,636
    Windows 10 Pro x64 - XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing

    From reading the OP's edit it appears that the Product key was present all the time, but protected against someone using it, (or selling the key online), by use of a scratch off panel - as is used in a lot of areas these days.

    It seems that the old method of printing the key on the outside of the packaging with an obvious label ( that might have well said "Steal Me" rather than "Product Key") has been replaced with a method more appropriate to today's realities
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Inserted win10 boot USB flash drive to working Win10 system - problems
OK, maybe this was really stupid. I had a 32GB flash drive formatted with the Win10 media upgrade image on it (bootable). I was going to use it to upgrade another system but in the meantime I wanted to copy some programs between two systems. I...
General Support
Solved Lost Win10 in Multiboot disk partition Win7, Win10 and LM Rafaela
Hi, My disk contains 5 partitions: part1 = ntfs-win10 free upgrade of win home premium (primary) Part2 = ntfs-win7 home premium (primary) Part3 = ext3-Extended (logical) Part4 = ext3-LM rafaela (extended) Part5 = swap (extended) This setup...
Installation and Upgrade
Remote Desktop Connection: Win10 Home vs Win10 Pro?
I have several laptops at home, and am trying to connect to an SSH connection at work for networking. To be fair, I am an idiot and had a techie friend of mine set everything up, however: At home, on the same wireless network on the same...
Network and Sharing
Solved Win10 clean - Win10 update Mismatch Initiates CHKDSK
I hope somebody can either explain to me what I'm missing or point me to an explanation. I have two 256 Gig SSDs on which I'd loaded different operating systems but virtually identical applications. One was Windows 8.1 and one was Windows 7. ...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved Win10 TP AOK, Win7 > Win10 soso. IE11 has no tcpip access...
My machine has two boot volumes. vol3 (win7 now win10) and vol5 (win8 tp10). After automatic upgrade of win7p to Win10p(64) on vol3, all appeared to be well. It activated just fine (good network) and Edge and Chrome work fine. However, IE11,...
Network and Sharing
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums